Are PWP roles competitive?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
meeni

Are PWP roles competitive?

Post by meeni » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi guys,

I am considering to self fund myself on a trainee PWP course. I'm not really down for getting myself into a huge amount of debt as you all can imagine, but I really want to do the course! I've applied to funded course's and had one interview this year but unfortunately I wasn't successful.

I've just been wondering how competitive people have found their job hunt for their first PWP job once they were qualified? And whether I should risk taking out a huge loan or just keep applying to the NHS funded ones?

Just joined the site and found it really insightful, so thought I would have a go at picking everyone's brains!

Thanks for your responses in advance (if I get any haha)! :)
Your Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step...

nomnom

Re: Are PWP roles competitive?

Post by nomnom » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi Meeni,

I've recently accepted a trainee PWP post so hopefully, I can shed some light on your question.

From my inductions, I remember being told that qualified PWP are like 'gold dust'. One of the reasons for this is that the roles allow for progression. For example, in my team currently a support worker has worked her way to being team leader of the PWP team over 4 years. This may differ across organisations but generally speaking a trainee PWP can over time progress through the IAPT to various roles.

I've also noticed that the NHS advertise for bank qualified PWP's as well, maybe indicating need of qualified candidates but I've not done any research in to this so can't be sure.

I don't know how much the self-funded course is but I would certainly suggesting applying to more funded roles within the NHS and with other companies as well before making the decision. In the meantime, maybe add to your experience that may increase your chances to being successful at interview such as voluntary work with services that offer telephone advice?

Good luck with your decision.

Nomnom.
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

meeni

Post by meeni » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi Nomnom,

Thanks so much for your advice!

So are you saying, that once you qualify, finding a job will be difficult? Or do they hire recently qualified (limited experienced) PWP's as much as they would someone who's been in the role for years? If that makes sense!

The self funded course is £4900. I feel I am at the point in life where I just want to get the ball rolling and start a career as opposed to waiting to hear back from what seems like hundreds of job applications lol! But I will take you up on your advice about finding voluntary work in a telephone advice service. That's something I could definitely do with!

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:09 pm

meeni wrote:Hi Nomnom,

Thanks so much for your advice!

So are you saying, that once you qualify, finding a job will be difficult? Or do they hire recently qualified (limited experienced) PWP's as much as they would someone who's been in the role for years? If that makes sense!

The self funded course is £4900. I feel I am at the point in life where I just want to get the ball rolling and start a career as opposed to waiting to hear back from what seems like hundreds of job applications lol! But I will take you up on your advice about finding voluntary work in a telephone advice service. That's something I could definitely do with!
From what I have been told by my superiors in my organisation is that qualified PWP are hard to come by and there is a national shortage of them. Again, I have no idea how accurate of a statement this is but from I've researched in to this company, it seems qualified PWPs move around a lot meaning they don't stay in post long hence services are trying to employ and maintain qualified PWPs.

That is a lot of money. I would definitely consider all other options before going ahead with the self-funded course. Look for trainee PWP roles across the country with various organisations alongside any voluntary work you may find. A few of my colleagues trained with the Samaritans and said this was beneficial when applying for a trainee PWP role.

I completely understand your feelings about getting the 'ball rolling' but keep at it - add to your experience, go over your application and try to get as much feedback as possible from employers.

I hope it all works out for you :)

Nomnom.

Psychological

Post by Psychological » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:16 pm

I echo what nomnom said. Once you're a qualified PWP it should be very easy to get a job anywhere in the country as there is a high attrition rate of PWPs and an increased demand for them.

I would also suggest trying to find a funded option first if you can. I wonder how the self-funded course works? As part of the course you ideally need to be in the position to see clients regularly and have access to regular supervision. Is that offered with the self-funded course?

meeni

Post by meeni » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:23 pm

Thank you for your advice guys!! It means a lot! :D
Psychological wrote:I echo what nomnom said. Once you're a qualified PWP it should be very easy to get a job anywhere in the country as there is a high attrition rate of PWPs and an increased demand for them.

I would also suggest trying to find a funded option first if you can. I wonder how the self-funded course works? As part of the course you ideally need to be in the position to see clients regularly and have access to regular supervision. Is that offered with the self-funded course?
Hi Psychological,

That sounds promising! I have recently been shortlisted to another PWP post with KCA so will see how this one goes haha! If I had the option I would definitely go for the a funded post as I am sure most people would!

Basically, the self funded course I applied to is offered by Newcastle University. When you go for the interview I've read that there is someone from an IAPT service on the interview panel. From what I have read, NU sort the placement out at a service. I think a self funded student more or less gets treated the same as a funded one except the self funded person has to pay their way as opposed to getting paid.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Basically, the self funded course I applied to is offered by Newcastle University.
Not sure if you know much about Newcastle but that is my home town so if have any questions related to that, feel free to message me :)

Nomnom

pepper24

Post by pepper24 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:53 pm

I would echo what others have said about really trying to get a funded post and or build on your experience to increase your chances of getting one. Quite a few iapt services have assistant pwp posts where you have quite a similar role to pwps.
I started out as as assistant, then got a trainee pwp post for the same service and have since got the band 5 qualified post.

I wonder whether the iapt service you have your placement in on the funded courses pay you for your time? Or else you're not just paying the course fees but also doing 9 months unpaid work! I think I would feel inferior if I was self funding and an unpaid member of staff alongside those who are being supported by the organisation. That may just be me though!

Lastly, if you're not getting funded posts I would encourage you to just focus in your skills because even in self funded posts they would have similar criteria and skillset which is required as at the end of the day you will still be working with real life people.

Good luck in your pwp pursuits, it's nice reading these as it's easy to become blasé in the role and feel like you should be doing something 'better' like clinical (I don't believe it's better but the hype around it could make you think that).

Unicorn

Post by Unicorn » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:00 pm

pepper24 wrote:few iapt services have assistant pwp posts

I have never come across assistant pwp posts before. Where can you find them being advertised? :roll: