DClinPsy, AP, PWP in London

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
jovitung

DClinPsy, AP, PWP in London

Post by jovitung » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:16 pm

Dear all,

Have been following this forum for a while and it's my first time posting. Really appreciate all the advice on this forum!
Bit of my background:
- Psychology undergrad at York (2.1)
- Currently doing MSc CAMH at UCL (finishing in Sept, on merit at the moment)

- Honorary research assistant at Great Ormond Street Hospital
- Volunteering at UCL Hospital as ward assistant
- Clinical placement at East London NHS CAMHS for 4 months
- SEN teaching assistant for about 2 years

So, I am hoping to apply for DClinPsy in the coming year and before that, I am hoping to get more experience. I have been trying to apply for AP for almost 6months but haven't really hear back from anyone - i know it is especially competitive in London but still, it is a bit disheartening.

I am quite open to options so another thing I am considering is PWP. My thoughts are I can work as PWP (to sustain a life in London!) while strengthening my clinical experience for the DClinPsy application. Another thing I am also open to is research assistant. Since I am working with an amazing group of researchers, I am hoping that can lead to a paid position at some point. The only concern is, I am not sure if a research assistant position weight equally to AP? Everyone seems to say that AP is the 'golden ticket' for DClinPsy application...Or I should just keep applying to AP and hope for the best?

Would love to know if anyone have similar situation? Or any advice really :)
Really appreciate it! Thanks guys!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: DClinPsy, AP, PWP in London

Post by Geishawife » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:39 pm

jovitung wrote: I am not sure if a research assistant position weight equally to AP?
Short answer - "Yes"!! (Especially if the research involves a clinical population).
jovitung wrote: AP is the 'golden ticket' for DClinPsy application
Short answer - "No"!!

Sensible answer - it's not really about the precise job you do. It's about what you gain from the experience and how well you can reflect on what you've done, what you've learnt and how it has helped you develop and grow as a potential CP. Assistant posts have many advantages, but they are by no means the only appropriate experience for CP. I know it must feel like you've been applying forever, but 6 months is not actually all that long. Many people take a year or more to get their first AP post, and, without wishing to knock what you've done so far, your NHS experience is somewhat lacking compared to some who will also be applying for AP posts. I would suggest casting your net a bit wider and also applying for Support Worker roles, HCA roles and the such like. All of these will provide invaluable experience that will make getting an AP post a little more likely.

As far as PWP is concerned, if you think you would benefit from it then apply. But the same guidance about it being what you gain from the experience applies - simply being a PWP will not enhance your application in and of itself. But many people find it a good source of experience.

By all means apply for the doctorate this year if you think your experience to date has made you ready (only you can know that). However, realistically, I think you might need a bit more NHS experience if you are to be successful. That's not meant to put you off, but be aware that many courses will not consider your experience adequate, so be selective about where you apply.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:52 pm

Apologies for the double post - I kept getting messages about "server error" and then the post appeared twice! Admin, delete as you think appropriate!

Done - Will.

Will
Team Member

Post by Will » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Geishawife wrote:Assistant posts have many advantages, but they are by no means the only appropriate experience for CP.
This!

Have a read round the forum - particularly the thread in which people talk about the experience they had when accepted on to training - and you'll see that lots of people get on without ever having an AP post. It's about making the most of relevant experiences. The msc will stand you in good stead for getting more direct clinical experience.
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis

jovitung

Post by jovitung » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:49 pm

Thanks guys!

Yes I guess it is a long journey that most people here are fighting for. Will keep trying - in terms of experience, does it make a huge difference if the position is voluntary/ paid?

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:11 am

jovitung wrote: does it make a huge difference if the position is voluntary/ paid?
YES! Some courses make it very clear you HAVE to have experience from paid employment. You are very, very unlikely to get on to the doctorate with only voluntary experience.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:55 am

Geishawife wrote: YES! Some courses make it very clear you HAVE to have experience from paid employment. You are very, very unlikely to get on to the doctorate with only voluntary experience.
This is alarming me since most AP posts (in my area at least) are unpaid! :cry:

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:52 am

Victoriomantic wrote:since most AP posts (in my area at least) are unpaid
This is not the case nationwide. Of course there are many "honorary" AP posts (as other threads have highlighted) but it is certainly not the norm. Many people get paid AP posts and, as we have said many times, an AP post is NOT a prerequisite for clinical training anyway.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Thanks Geishawife :) I know it's not a prerequisite for the doctorate--I guess I just haven't had a lot of luck finding anything lately!