Psychology to graduate medicine

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
neurogirl17

Psychology to graduate medicine

Post by neurogirl17 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:37 am

Hello recently I have been thinking a lot about doing psychology and then applying for graduate medicine. Has anyone here ever done this and did it work out for you?

alexh

Re: Psychology to graduate medicine

Post by alexh » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:03 am

What would you hope to achieve by doing this?

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:31 pm

As Alex asks, what would be the point? If you want to be a psychologically minded doctor then it's not worth doing an entire psychology degree first - many medical schools will give you the option to intercalate with BSc psychology in your fourth year, and two degrees would work out very expensive for you. If you don't have great A-levels and worry you would not be selected for medicine, so need to pursue the graduate program, I would choose a degree that is more directly related to your goal (biochemistry or something like that, perhaps a joint honours with psychology if it interests you) and work on getting a high grade in that plus some good work experience.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

AmyJay1992

Post by AmyJay1992 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi,

When my granddad was alive his Emergency room Doctor did psych first then his medical degree. He loves his job and has never looked back. He is a brilliant doctor who you could talk to easily and I trusted him with my Granddads care (and my granddad meant the world to me). I myself have considered it also, so in my opinion if it is what you want do it :). We only live once!

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:07 am

Hi neurogirl

This is something that I considered a while ago when I was trying to work out whether I wanted to go into psychiatry or clinical psychology, and we have some general discussion about it on the forum here, so have a look:
viewtopic.php?t=8599
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17357

I eventually got onto Clinical Training and am about to qualify, but am happy to answer any questions you have if they aren't answered by those posts - but a few things:

its a longer and trickier route than going through traditional medicine streams. You may have already looked into it, but graduate medicine requires you to have completed an appropriate "science" degree in order to be considered, and there is considerable difference in whether courses regard psychology as appropriately scientific - I know that Warwick University does for example - but if not, you may have to do an extra year (going onto a 5 year course) in order to make up those skills.

Supporting yourself is harder - I cant remember the specifics of funding arrangements but as it will be your second degree you wont have access to loans available to support you - you will have less time to work as you will be at uni a LOT (and very intensely).

I've got friends who did graduate entry medicine and although it was intense they loved it and have just qualified as doctors - good luck with your decision! :)
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Jessibelle

Post by Jessibelle » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:34 pm

Just to quickly add to Gilly's post.

I am starting my gradmed degree tomorrow (yikes) after doing a BSc in Psychology. If you do a four year grad program (as opposed to joining a five year one as a grad), you do have access to funding. You get fee and maintenance loans, same as with undergrad, but you also get the first £3,465 of your fees paid for years 2-4 by the NHS and on top of that will receive a non-repayable non-means tested NHS grant of £1000 years 2-4, plus potentially means-tested (you qualify up to earnings of £25000 per year, then incrementally less as I understand it) non-repayable NHS grant (think it's around another £1400 a year, but don't quote me on this).

There are loads of psychology grads in my cohort. Think about 30% or so of the 50/60 people I have met so far.

AmyJay1992

Post by AmyJay1992 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:13 pm

Hi Jessibelle,

Congrats on starting your course!

What uni are you at if you don't mind me asking? Also have you had to take the GAMSAT? I've looked into this route and have been torn. I'm thinking of maybe giving it ago next year.
If you did the GAMSAT how did you find it? I know there is a science part, which I'm worried about!

Also how are you finding it now your a month or so into your course? I am good with human biology but worried if I'm punching above my weight. I loved neuroscience at uni (I did psych obv lol) and psychobiology, I got a first in neuro and high 2:1 in psychobiology, but that's not medicine!

Any info would be helpful.

Jessibelle

Post by Jessibelle » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:47 am

Hi Amy

I'm at Warwick. I have zero basic science background. Did not even do it at A-level (and in the case of chemistry at GCSE). Have to say I am finding that aspect of it very, very hard. Overall it is more full on than I expected. But it has been great and it does not feel impossible even with my distinctively low biochem aptitude haha.

Did not take the GAMSAT, only applied to UKCAT unis. :)

MindfulPsych

Post by MindfulPsych » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:28 pm

Jessibelle wrote:Hi Amy

I'm at Warwick. I have zero basic science background. Did not even do it at A-level (and in the case of chemistry at GCSE). Have to say I am finding that aspect of it very, very hard. Overall it is more full on than I expected. But it has been great and it does not feel impossible even with my distinctively low biochem aptitude haha.

Did not take the GAMSAT, only applied to UKCAT unis. :)
Hi Jessibelle!

Hope your graduate medicine course is going well and you're enjoying it!

I am just wondering, what work experience do you have that is relevant for the entry requirements for Warwick?

Jessibelle

Post by Jessibelle » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:11 am

Had BSc and MSc (in progress - just officially 'finished' this week). The stuff that was on my form and that had to provide evidence of: AP (both paid and honorary) across three services (community, inpatient, primary care) for a year, Two years RA on a clinical trial (involving daily pt contact for assessments), ~ 1 full day equivalent of support work/respite care for kids with complex medical needs over five years, five years of weekly volunteering with kids with special needs, one week shadowing placement in neurology and neurosurgery, one week in paediatrics, one day in A&E and four weeks, two days a week Haematology. BUT most of this is entirely superfluous. They only ask for two weeks full-time equivalent experience. This experience can be anything from volunteering as a first aider to healthcare assistant or support worker. Also recommend doing at least one short NHS shadowing placement to give you sth to talk about at interview. Most people seem to have done HCA jobs, the psychology grads seem to have been support workers. But loads that 'just' did volunteering too.

Think Warwick are a good fit for people from psych background as they are hot on reflection and we even have regular mindfulness sessions for all students as part of our curriculum.