Counselling and Psychotherapy- BACP/UKCP Plan B

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Shmit

Counselling and Psychotherapy- BACP/UKCP Plan B

Post by Shmit » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:05 pm

Hello!

I'm hoping there maybe somebody out there with some advice... Although I know it's not clinical psychology related as such.

I'm currently thinking of my plan b option, with this year being my final year of applying for the clinical doctoeate( I I have an interview coming up but I'm ready to start plan b if I'm not successful). I've been looking into the counselling and psychotherapy masters courses at uni's nearby as this plan b.

Firstly- does anybody have experience of similar courses?
Secondly- has anybody got any experience between the difference of BACP and UKCP registration, and the pros/cons of each?
Thirdly- is there anybody with experience in these roles and job prospects etc.

I've looked into counselling doctorates as an alternative, however they seem quite limited and I'd want to study part time alongside work.

Many thanks!!
Shmit x

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
workingmama
Team Member

Re: Counselling and Psychotherapy- BACP/UKCP Plan B

Post by workingmama » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:35 pm

Entirely depends on what you want to do with your qualification, but once I had my BACP accredited training, I found the number and scope of jobs available limited (compared to clinical psychology), and the scope for progression not too great. Having said which, none of these issues may trouble you, and I found the training excellent. Compared to CP training, the interpersonal training on my counselling postgrad was superb, with a great focus on personal development and reflection, and lots on ethics and equalities.

Alternatively, would you consider something IAPT-y? Lots of scope for various things there too.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Saf

Post by Saf » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:15 pm

Ah - same plan B here although I intent to continue applying for the DClinpsy in the future too.

There are lots of different websites out there with guidelines about the differences between BACP and UKCP but roughly speaking the BACP requires less training in terms of time (2 years) whereas the UKCP courses can take up to 4 years and requires much more client contact hours and personal therapy hours. There are ways to be accredited by the UKCP after completing BACP accredited course, but this may be a few years down the line after more experience and CPD.

I've also heard some rumours that the BACP recently took out the requirement for therapist to have personal therapy, although most courses I'm aware of still have it down as one of their course requirements.

I don't know of many development routes post psychotherapy training, but I know that in the psychotherapy service I work in, we have psychotherapy service managers in band 8 A/B roles, these are very rare - but they do exists. I also know of psychotherapists who then went on to do the counselling doctorate or PhD's which they were able to fund working part-time or in private practise.

Both the BACP and UKCP have a list of accredited courses on their website and you may have to decide based on location or therapy model. For the courses that I've looked it, it looks like UKCP courses are more likely to be of a form of psychotherapy e.g. Gestalt, whereas BACP tents to have more Interpersonal or Integrative courses.

Good luck!

Shmit

Post by Shmit » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:06 am

Hi both,

Thank you for sharing your experiences! It's interesting to see that you're both continuing with DClinPsy after completing this training. It's something that hadn't really crossed my mind and I hadn't really thought of (for some reason).

Workingmama- what kind of roles were you working in with this BACP accreditation? And I'm assuming you then went on to DClinPsy training following this?

Saf- it's great to hear somebody considering this option too. I'm assuming you work within an NHS setting? Are there many people working there with BACP accreditation or mainly UKCP?

My mind is so confused with lots of different routes and plans to become a therapist... I'm trying to get my head around everything.

Thanks
Shmit x

Saf

Post by Saf » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:20 pm

Shmit wrote:Hi both,

Saf- it's great to hear somebody considering this option too. I'm assuming you work within an NHS setting? Are there many people working there with BACP accreditation or mainly UKCP?
I work as an Assistant Psychotherapist in the NHS within a psychotherapy service. I work with 8 qualified psychotherapists; some accredited by the BACP, some by UKCP and a few by both. Some services don't distinguish between the two, whereas others will be specify one or the other - I'm guessing this might be due to supervision, CPD requirements etc.

There's also a bit of a political thing about whether therapists who complete a BACP course are (only) counsellors, whereas those who are accredited by UKCP are considered psychotherapists. There is a pay difference between counsellors (band 5) and psychotherapists (band 7) - but again this may be trust or service specific (we don't distinguish between the two in the service I work in).

Good luck :)

theballboy

Post by theballboy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:39 pm

Hi, I realise that this is an old thread but Id love to hear if the OP or others have completed their BACP training.
This also is my plan b but a plan b with a view to still possibly applying for the clinical doctorate in the future.

Can anyone update?
Thanks in advance