IAPT PWP vs Assistant Psychologist?Which is better for DClin

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Maahh

IAPT PWP vs Assistant Psychologist?Which is better for DClin

Post by Maahh » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:02 pm

Hi everyone! :)

Hoping you could help me with a little dilemma I have. I finished my MSc in Psychology a little while ago, and now I'm looking for a full time role within the field. My end goal is to gain a place on the Clinical Psychology Doctorate!

So, I've been offered a trainee PWP role, and also an Assistant Psychologist role. I don't have any previous experience in either (other than a voluntary AP role in the private sector), and so I'm not sure which would be my best bet! I'm worried that if I go for the PWP role I'll struggle to secure a AP role after (Do many pwp's move on to AP?). But at the same time because I do have limited experience I feel like PWP would be a good place to start because of the training/support etc. But I don't want to limit my chance of gaining a place on the dclin! Soo basically I'm massively indecisive at the moment!

Any opinions/advice would really really help!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
PsyJason

Re: IAPT PWP vs Assistant Psychologist?Which is better for D

Post by PsyJason » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi Maahh,

I am sure most would agree that being offered both positions is quite excellent, so well done to you!

I know plenty of people who have secured a place on the DClinPsy courses from both AP and PWP backgrounds (and indeed from neither!). So I wouldn't necessarily say there is one particular direction which would be 'best'. I think the AP route would put you in contact with Clinical Psychologists on a more regular basis than the PWP route, in addition to allowing you to experience some of the more varied roles of a CP, such as service evaluations and such etc. I went the AP route, so I am probably biased towards it, those who went the PWP route might be able to offer a bit more insight.

Maahh

Post by Maahh » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi PsyJason,

Thanks for your reply!

I guess you're right - Personally I was leaning more towards the PWP job for now but wasn't too sure whether this would affect me being able to secure an AP post later on down the line.

Decision is finally made so now I can feel excited to start!!

Thanks again :)

alexh

Post by alexh » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:55 pm

Pwp first for the grounding in CBT then ap.

mzvoker

Post by mzvoker » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:54 pm

Wow sounds as though you're in a really good position there- well done!!

Both routes have their advantages (and sometimes disadvantages!)- the trainee PWP course will give you a good grounding in CBT theory as well as some really good clinical experience to reflect upon on application forms/interviews etc. The PWP route also potentially opens up other career options too, such as moving onto senior PWP roles/HI training. You would most likely be supervised by a CBT therapist rather than a clinical psychologist, although this isn't always the case.

From my experience, the quality of AP posts really varies. I've heard some people have posts which have been advertised as AP posts but have actually just involved data entry, but I also know plenty of people who have had really good AP experiences and have had opportunities to be involved in research, service evaluations and audits as well as having good quality supervision from a CP.

As you can see, there is no "right" answer, both routes have the potential for you to learn a lot. I think what is most important is what you learn from the role and how you reflect on this in applications. Good luck with whatever decision you choose!!

ImaginePsych

Post by ImaginePsych » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:06 am

Hi Maahh

I am a PWP who has just secured an AP position, and I know of others who have landed AP posts from IAPT positions. The PWP role gives you a good solid grounding in CBT and will give you excellent therapeutic experience; being a mostly clinical role with lots of client contact!

Good luck whatever you decide!

SebSor

Re: IAPT PWP vs Assistant Psychologist?Which is better for DClin

Post by SebSor » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Guys, I got a job for NHS as Assistant Psychologist but in the IAPT service, what do you think about it? I read some of you wrote that as a PWP you get more experience for the CBT while as AP more in clinical...what about my role then? Considering I will work in a service which delivers CBT interventions....

sorvio

Re: IAPT PWP vs Assistant Psychologist?Which is better for DClin

Post by sorvio » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:04 pm

I know you didn't post this to give others advice but may I ask what your full experience with jobs/volunteering etc is? Any tips on finding these roles? I'm curious what made you stand out to get both of these offers right after your masters. Also what made you do the masters? Do you think that was essential?

edit: didn't realise someone had just bumped an old thread; thread was years old, that guy's long gone lol