Two Job Offers in Similar Areas plus Research Assistant Role

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Rachelmc23

Two Job Offers in Similar Areas plus Research Assistant Role

Post by Rachelmc23 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi Everybody,

I am after some advice based on others experiences.

I have been offered two support worker roles this week. One is with The Priory Group within a supported accommodation for those with Autism. The other is within Birmingham Children's Hospital CAMHS unit and it would be on a rotational basis across three different wards.

I am also due to start work as a research assistant next week and this work will last for two months (October-end of November).

The job with the Priory Group is down the road from me, it is less pay but more convenient and in an area that I am keen to build my experience in.

The BCH job is of interest to me due to the rotational basis but is a bus journey away that will take around 1.5 hours.

I'm keen to do my research job for the experience of it as i enjoy research and want to get some paid experience in it for when I apply for clinical training.

The Priory Group's recruitment process is not as lengthy as BCH so I would be expected to start sooner, meaning I may be unable to do my job as a RA. The BCH recruitment process takes about two months (according to people who work there) meaning I will still be able to do my RA job.

Any advice would be appreciated in terms of which is better experience. Some people say NHS experience is better than private?

Thank you in advance!
"So often we become so focused on the finish line that we fail to enjoy the journey"

-Dieter F. Uchtdorf.

Charlie

Re: Two Job Offers in Similar Areas plus Research Assistant

Post by Charlie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:57 pm

How prepared are you to commute? Personally, anything over a 1 hour commute is too much for me, and I think I would've really struggled with this especially when I was a support worker (with unsociable hours and really quite demanding work - although support work does vary a lot). So I'd go for the local job over the one that involves a long commute (plenty of time to pick up NHS experience further down the line).

Is there any chance the Priory would allow a later start date so you could do the RA post? I do think this would be worth doing if you can- my experience was it was a lot harder to land research experience than support worker positions, so I'd be hesitant to turn this down if you can avoid it.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:03 pm

I work for the Priory and it took several months between the interview date and the start date due to hold ups in DBS, references, occupational health checks and then waiting for a mandatory training date so don't expect to start quickly! You should discuss with them as it may be easy to arrange a later start date.

Also as Charlie says you don't want a long commute with support work - I used to travel an hour and a half on the bus in my old job and I hated it after long shifts, so much so that I bought a scooter to cut my journey time... Just imagine that journey after spending 30 hours in work (what I used to do with sleep shifts and long days) or after a 12.5 hour night shift (shifts that I currently do in my Priory role).

Rachelmc23

Post by Rachelmc23 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Thank you both for your advice!

I've decided to go with the local Priory Group job. I have over two years experience in the NHS and within inpatient units (which is what the Children's Hospital job is) but I have no experience working in supported accommodation so it'll be a nice change.

Commuting is a big decider for me too so the local one seems like the best option.

I'm going to call the manager of the Priory Group role tomorrow and let her know about my research role but like you said Esuma, 8 can't see it being a problem due to DBS and pre-employment checks taking so long!

Thanks again!
"So often we become so focused on the finish line that we fail to enjoy the journey"

-Dieter F. Uchtdorf.