CAMHS receptionist/secretary?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
EstrellaAmore

CAMHS receptionist/secretary?

Post by EstrellaAmore » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:52 am

Hello
I am a 3rd year undergraduate psychology student. Prior to starting uni I had various admin jobs, When I started my degree I left the admin work to get more relevant work experience. I have to work part time for financial reasons. I have been working part time as a support worker and more recently with looked after children. I have seen a job come up within the NHS for a receptionist/secretary for the CAMHS services. I am not sure if this job would give me good experience?? Or am I better to continue with more 'hands on' jobs like my current role in a childrens home. Would going into an admin position be a step back? Or would it help at all with looking for AP jobs after I graduate? My long term goal is to become a clinical psychologist, although I am in my early 30s so feel I need to make every year count with regards to gaining relevant work experience to build my skills as well as improve my prospects.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, do have a decent chance at this job i would need to do an online audio typing course, so want to make sure that applying is a good decision career wise!

Thank you!

maven
Site Admin

Re: CAMHS receptionist/secretary?

Post by maven » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:57 am

I'd be less likely to short-list a support worker into an admin post than someone who had not done related work, and I'd be less likely to short list a person with admin experience into an AP post than someone with equivalent experience without the admin post. I think it shows a blurring of roles and aspirations, and separating out admins who want to be admins rather than aspiring CPs is my first step in short-listing after ruling out people with insufficient administrative experience. I did once take on someone in the overlap. It was a bad idea for both parties, and didn't last out the probationary period.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

EstrellaAmore

Re: CAMHS receptionist/secretary?

Post by EstrellaAmore » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:21 am

Thank you maven that's very helpful, and interesting to consider it from the employer's perspective. I will maybe give it a miss then and concentrate on continuing to gain more practical experience.

I have an interview next week as a project worker delivering abuse prevention programmes to pre-school children. I assume this would be more relevant? And compliment my existing experience working with age 8 to 18 looked after children

thanks again for taking the time to reply to my post. I really appreciate it :)