Career Changer - and an old one at that!

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
minesacupoftea

Career Changer - and an old one at that!

Post by minesacupoftea » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:47 pm

Hey there,

I've been creeping on this site for the past three years...I get distracted by it every now and again :D , hey happens right! But I don't think I've come across a person as old as myself attempting to walk the ClinPs path, and I'm taking the long route, all be it I'm only in the early stages. So, I thought to make a mark on this forum by stating what I'm attempting to do....and sure, time will tell what happens and I'll let you know how it goes and of course, any advice always welcome.

I turned 40 years of age. I wanted to change into the "help" area. Researched ideas, came across a great Canadian vid talking to undergrad psychology students and the potential opportunities it could provide. Well, you have me, I'm joining up. So started the part time OU degree three years ago, just another 3 more to go before the first little step is done, the undergrad. Should be studying now...that a bad sign?! Currently work as a PM in an IT company, so a little different...just slightly :-) bad joke.

To feel connected to what I'd like to do have two voluntary jobs on the go. So pretty maxed out (have the whole family and that full time job too, but don't clean the house...should learn to do that, hope that's not a skill I'd need to progress!).

So in 2020, I'm thinking i could try and do a part time masters (I'm the breadwinner of the family) for two years...and change the day job to something more relevant and maybe get to apply for doctorate post graduating the masters...so in another 5 years. Then I'll be close on 50 applying for the doctorate. A tall order. It is completely, especially reading the forum and there has actually been research on it too Clare, 1995; O'Shea & Byrne, 2011a, Phillips et al., 2004; Scior et al., 2007, extract from Alan Carr's book, Clinical Psychology. Research shows no one over 47 have gained entry onto a clinical doctorate course. Maybe I could get myself clocked?! Take a few years off? Still gonna try....and see where this path leads to, because no one knows whats around the corner, and okay, the focus at the moment is on the clinical doctorate, however I could get seduced by another area along the way. But I want to say in a couple of years I tried because how do you know unless you try? Right?

So for anyone wondering about age, there could indeed be a "not so great age" to changing...however how do you know unless you try and would you look back on life thinking, I would have liked to know if it was possible....this way I'll know. So maybe if you're that person, who really fancies a change, ask yourself if you didn't change and looked back in years to come, how disappointed would you be if you didn't try?!

I enjoy the forum...it's keeping me company as I wander along....thanks.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Career Changer - and an old one at that!

Post by maven » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:06 am

I'm not sure why you need a masters. Get a first in your degree and/or find a way to get a paper published from your research topic, and then get some hands on experience. Then you'll be applying for training at 47. But why not make a more radical commitment to your new path and finish that OU degree faster, and/or alongside a relevant job so that you can apply at 45 instead?
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

minesacupoftea

Post by minesacupoftea » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Thanks for your feedback Maven. It's great to look at it from that different perspective. The idea of concentrating on getting a first class degree and trying to get relevant experience along side it would be a good aim. Also to get published. Need to look into what's involved there.

Squeezing it into a short time period would cost double, I couldn't afford that, it's the guts of 3k euro per year as it is. I could give up the job and do two modules but where would the money come from? Get myself a sugar daddy! Okay maybe not and the husband might not be too impressed! :D

So yes, published, a first degree and relevant experience. Will work on that and see how it goes.

Thanks again

astra

Post by astra » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:58 pm

Older trainees do exist! I was late 30s when I started and was the oldest in my cohort, but there were a couple of people mid-40s in the 2 years above me. It makes for a varied cohort. there's one psychologist locally who trained a few years after me when she was in her late 40s early 50s and is working very happily in the NHS, so it does happen. Follow the advice given above as best you can and you won't go far wrong, but also just enjoy each stage and then decide what to do next. Life has a habit of throwing spanners in the works, so focus on what you can do to further your goals in the now, and don't dwell too much in the future.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

minesacupoftea

Post by minesacupoftea » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:34 pm

Aw astra, you little beauty, it's great to hear that feedback. You really helped boost the "hope", thanks. You are of course totally right, to enjoy the journey. I have an old degree in Management so I could have done a conversion course to psychology to get the degree, but I'm glad it never figured, even though it would have been a quicker route to the degree because I really, really enjoyed those early modules, especially one around children, there was great learning. So yes, I'll chill a little and remember to keep living. Thanks again and I'm enjoying the forum, also found a link to how get published...you see, it's all here. :D

Thanks

astra

Post by astra » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:50 am

I do think that older aspiring clinical psychs have different challenges to the younger ones. Certainly for me having a marriage, a mortgage and a 2 year old child at the beginning of training made my experience very different from the rest of my cohort. People got married, bought houses and one or two had children during the course, but I had had to find assistant jobs around childcare, do voluntary work on top of work to get experience whilst making sure the child was cared for, it was a whole different juggling experience for me. It took me longer due to maternity leave and being tied to one area by husband's job, house and nursery. Looking back I don't think I would change anything. I used to think I should have gone back to uni sooner, should have got started on the relevant experience sooner, but in the end, it all worked out, I have a great job and I wouldn't change how I got here. I do wish I had stressed less about it and just enjoyed it more though!
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

minesacupoftea

Post by minesacupoftea » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:35 am

Wow astra, those were some challenges, but you don't regret how you got there, which is encouraging. I suppose if you want something badly enough, you'll make as serious a go of it as you can. Thanks for your feedback, really helps. :D