Should I apply for a new job or not

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
kezkel

Should I apply for a new job or not

Post by kezkel » Mon May 08, 2017 10:07 pm

HI,
I am a first-year undergraduate studying Psychology. My end goal is to be a clinical psychologist. I recently started a job as a support worker with human trafficking victims. On paper, the role looked amazing and is ridiculously well paid but in practice, I spend 75% of my time behind a computer rather than with clients. The time I do spend with clients is taking them to appointments or helping them fill in forms. I have spoken to other staff and they said that that is how the job is and it's not just because I'm new. The role is technically bank and is a 0-hour contract but I do around 20 hours a week.
A band 2 role has come up as an HCA in a local NHS inpatient hospital. I think it would look great on my CV and that I will really enjoy it. The problem is this would be the 3rd time I apply (0nce 7 months ago and once 2 years ago - both times ago I got interviews) unfortunately both of the previous times despite requesting it I have been unable to get feedback.
Basically, I have 3 questions:
- Is it too soon to reapply for the same role? I am concerned that repeatedly reapplying for the same job will hurt my chances of ever getting an NHS job
- Is it ok to apply for a new job so soon or should I wait a few months until something else comes up and if so how long should I wait? I've only worked in this role for around 8 weeks so will it look bad applying for something else so soon?
- If I do apply and am lucky enough to get the nhs job should I try and do it alongside my current job? I'm thinking this might help on my also it doesn't look like I changed jobs so soon and might help me get more experience.
Thanks

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lingua_franca

Re: Should I apply for a new job or not

Post by lingua_franca » Tue May 09, 2017 8:03 am

My main piece of advice would be to breathe. ;) You're only a first-year undergraduate and you have plenty of time ahead of you for gaining experience. I feel like a hypocrite writing that, because I'm the kind of person who likes everything to be done by yesterday if not sooner and I feel very restless if my timetable isn't bursting with things, but trying to rush isn't helpful and could work against you. Firstly, the most important thing is to get the highest mark you possibly can in your degree - no amount of hours as a support worker or HCA will compensate for a lacklustre grade. You can get practical experience after graduation but it's much harder to sponge away a weak BSc mark. Your current support worker job sounds fine to me. Helping clients with paperwork and the practical aspects of their lives is still relevant - it will give you insight into the social challenges facing people who have experienced trafficking, and there is still an opportunity to apply psychological knowledge there. For example, I was a bank worker in a supported accommodation project, and I remember having to help a new resident make a phone call one day. I noticed that she couldn't dial the number correctly, which could have been down to possible dyslexia or undetected learning disability or short-term memory issues caused by her meds or any one of a number of things - I flagged it up in my session notes for the team to look into. Admin and record-keeping are also relevant things to be doing, and a well-paid job isn't something to sneeze at as a student - I'd stick with this one if I were you and apply for inpatient HCA roles further down the line, when you have more time to spare.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.