Ready to apply?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
jason712

Ready to apply?

Post by jason712 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi all, I may have posted this in the wrong section so please move it to the appropriate one if that is the case.

I was wondering how long until people here felt ready to apply to the Clinpsy doctorate. I graduated in Psychology with Criminology back in 2015 and this is my first time contemplating whether or not I should apply this year. How did you guys know when you were ready? How much experience did you have? How many years since graduation?

I feel like I have a range of different experiences but I could always stand to learn more, but I feel like in comparison to previous years I could actually stand a chance of getting in. Although easier said than done. I suppose I'd also like to get an idea if other people here think I could do well with gaining more experience or taking a crack at it.

My experiences are as follows:

Assistant Psychologist- Kids company - 2013 - 2014
Part of my placement year, worked alongside the clinical psychologist to manage the database, booking appointments, shadowing assessments - as well as doing a few of my own.

Key Worker 2014 - 2015
Employed full-time after my placement, worked as a key worker for children 4 - 13. Conducting home visits, assessments to cater a careplan according to their needs.

Support worker - Burgess Autistic Trust - 2015 - 2016
After Kidsco closed, I found a job as a support worker for adults with ASC.

HCA 2016 - South London and Maudsley - 2017
Worked as a HCA on the women's PICU ward.

Therapeutic care worker - Royal Free - 2016 - Current
Worked in a CAMHS Eating disorder ward

Substance Misuse worker - YoungAddaction- 2017 - Present
Working with young people, implementing a 12 week structured CBA programme to support young people in reducing or abstaining in substance use. Easier said than done as many of you know that in order to tackle one problem, other issues need to be addressed - IE: Family problems, mental health, emotional issues etc...

Research assistant - KCL - 2016 - 2017
Volunteered once a week at KCL for a perinatal study in data entry.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
workingmama
Team Member

Re: Ready to apply?

Post by workingmama » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi there,

You might like the thread about experience before getting on to training:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=145

Or how many years after graduation did people take before acquiring a training place:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8809

These are both very full threads (especially the experience one) which might give you a good idea about other people's journeys. For my own opinion, it looks like a good spread of things you've tried, and I would ask yourself what you feel you learned from those posts, and do you feel that you have enough from that to make good use of further training at this point in your life? I'm always cheering on from the 'apply now and just see' position, whereas others on the forum definitely counsel some posters to wait until they feel they have a good chance, so as to not get to dejected. I think it's not too expensive to apply, so give it a go and take your luck in your hands if you'd like to do that this year. I'm sure you'll get advice on other things to do to round out your experience, but there's something to be said in not trying to be too perfect/cover every possible base (it's not possible, and it's not always necessary).

What was your degree classification?
Fail, fail again, fail better.

jason712

Post by jason712 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:00 pm

Thank you! I'm going to take a look at them now. I got an Upper second in my degree. Just 2 points short from a 1st on my criminology module. So close but that's how it goes sometimes. I feel like I'm ready to take the next step but I suppose it's that fear of rejection despite the fact that I know my chances of getting on first time are quite minuscule. I also know that a paid AP role isn't required, yet I feel like having had that would have gone a long way. Just being able to work with a clinical psychologist to further develop my understanding of psychological models and how they are applied. Fortunately my current job is engrossed in CBA and being able to use the tools and techniques as a centre of my work has taught me a lot in my short time there.

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:57 pm

I'm going to have tattooed on my head, or change my autosig to the following:

50% of my training cohort had no AP experience, paid or otherwise.

It'll make a natty tattoo, dontcha think? :lol:
Fail, fail again, fail better.

jason712

Post by jason712 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:33 am

workingmama wrote:I'm going to have tattooed on my head, or change my autosig to the following:

50% of my training cohort had no AP experience, paid or otherwise.

It'll make a natty tattoo, dontcha think? :lol:
Ha, I imagine it would be rather fetching. I know it's not required but hard to remember when it feels like I'm surrounded by people who are APs and have managed to get on the course in comparison to those who haven't. But I have decided to take a chance this year. Fortunately there are a lot of resources here to help me write my application.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:23 pm

I applied when I didn't feel ready and it was so useful as it showed me what I needed to do and thus improve.

The following year I applied and still didn't feel ready and didn't have an Ap post and I got an interview and high reserve place.

This year I began to feel ready and applied but had only just got an Ap post so it didn't contribute to my form. I got one interview and a place and it made me giggle as I barely reflected on my current role at all. So the much coveted AP role had taught me a huge amount but didn't really help get me on to the course.

jason712

Post by jason712 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:52 am

Oh wow, that is impressive. I've concluded that when I do apply I'll do so out of London, for the mere fact that competition will be easier and it will be a new experience. Congratulations on your success.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:41 pm

I'd say go where suits your experience and you as an individual that's what I found. The two unis who interviewed me felt like a match and I think that is important!

Also in terms of numbers of applicants etc I remember a while ago someone had worked out the ratios of applicants to places and I think Coventry and Warwick technically had the most competition and ucl was surprisingly low.

KMC00

Post by KMC00 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:20 am

I agree with Randomswirls that you should apply to the courses that best fit your ethos and experience. That way your chances are better and you are more likely to enjoy the interview experience.

The only reason to avoid UCL and KCL is if you don't fit with what they are looking for (generally speaking they place a lot of emphasis on research experience).

For what it's worth, I got on at KCL and I didn't get interviews at my other choices which were all outside of London.

jason712

Post by jason712 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:45 pm

Thanks for all the replies, yeah you're right and of course I'll take into consideration before applying to any course. But I have come to the conclusion that I am ready for the next step and will be applying this year. I've spent the last 4 years learning as much as possible and reflecting in everything I do to become better. I've matured a lot in the last few years and feel that I'm capable.