Training as a Forensic Psych

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
psychsars

Training as a Forensic Psych

Post by psychsars » Tue May 29, 2018 10:11 am

I have recently been invited to interview for a trainee psychologist post within the prison service, a role I applied for months ago and mainly filled out the application as practice with little hope of getting an interview, but here we are!

The role is based in a prison which is a good 40 ish miles from where I live, so out of interest I wonder if anyone knows whether Trainee FP's have the option to transfer prison or location?

I have never heard of anyone doing this but I find it hard to believe there hasn't been anyone who has needed to move for whatever reason. I mainly ask as I fully intend to go to the interview and try my very best but in the back of my mind there's a worry that if I were to get the role the commute would become too much.

(As a side note has anyone else notices HMPPS now advertises these roles as trainee psychologists rather rather trainee forensic psychologists?)

Any info appreciated! :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
NotReally

Re: Training as a Forensic Psych

Post by NotReally » Tue May 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi psychsars

Well done on getting the interview!

Without having been in the situation, I'm thinking it's going to be a bit of a long shot for a couple of reasons:

1) they may not need a trainee at other prisons that you would transfer to.

2) obviously this may not apply as I don't know your circumstances, but from the people I've spoken to who are training at HMPPS, 40 miles is sort of a standard commute, so I'm not sure how much sympathy you'll get tbh. Could you consider moving closer during the week?

psychsars

Post by psychsars » Thu May 31, 2018 11:19 am

Thank you! Yes I agree I don't think 40 miles is outrageous, I'm just thinking more long term because although Stage 2 is technically 2 years supervised practice I understand it can take a lot longer! So if a trainee role came up near me can someone who's already a trainee apply/ transfer?

NotReally

Post by NotReally » Thu May 31, 2018 8:46 pm

Hmm, not sure tbh. I may be making this up, but I seem to remember reading that the "downside" of qualifying via stage 2 is that you need to stay in the same role all the way through as the application competencies need to be signed off by your supervisor before it is sent off. This may be why it takes longer, as people can't move around in different roles to get the relevant experience (unless you find an independent supervisor). I know a transfer would mean the same role, but it's more than likely your work supervisor would change. If it is just a tick box exercise with completely objective criteria, I don't suppose it would be too much of a problem, but I'm really not sure how it works.

psychsars

Post by psychsars » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:53 am

Yes the more I think about it the more I think it's necessary to stick to one site/supervisor. The Stage 2 is far from a tick box process as it's the equivalent of a doctorate so requires the submission of work to the BPS to demonstrate core competencies including exemplars, a practice diary, a competence log book and supporting information all while practicing as a trainee FP :shock:

You may sense my anxiety over the prospect of this process :oops: hence my hesitation over a long commute, although once on training I'm sure I will realise this to be the least of my worries haha :wink:

lilachannah

Post by lilachannah » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:57 pm

As an aside, it might be worth you checking out the Cardiff Metropolitan University forensic practitioner course. It's an alternative to the BPS route, a bit cheaper and apparently doesn't take as long as the BPS route can. When I was interviewed there in February there were trainees working in prisons all over the UK; some were saying that they'd been on the BPS route for over seven years (not always the case but it can apparently happen)! I've been offered a clinical training place this year so won't be completing the forensic route now, but I've heard good things about the course.

psychsars

Post by psychsars » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:27 am

wow that is a long time! :shock: I will definitely do a bit of research, however I assume this route is self funded? Congrats on getting a place on clinical!