What's the longest you've been "out of the game"?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
NotReally

What's the longest you've been "out of the game"?

Post by NotReally » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi all

So I guess this is really a question for those of you who have got quite far in your psych career, but I was wondering what the longest period you've spent away from anything psych related is? Or atleast, any role which you thought was contributing to a future psych career? A bit of context would be good, I.e. what stage of your career (and any significant life events etc) was this?

I think if we don't count the initial post-grad period, that would give us a more accurate picture, as getting that initial "foot on the ladder" can be quite a problem for a lot of people.

For me, I have always been in a role I felt was contributing to my professional development until about a year ago. I have had a lot of interviews, for AP and non-psych related roles, and have not been offered a role yet. I feel like the longer this period goes on, the more difficult it's going to be, but a career change is not easy, and also not something I want to do as I still harbour hopes of progressing in psychology (I have previously worked as an AP, but had to leave that role as it just wasn't practical to continue with the commute/relocation and other issues I was dealing with at the time).

So yeah, what's your longest time away from it all? Is it really gonna happen for me now? I'm not feeling very optimistic tbh :cry:

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Northernlad

Re: What's the longest you've been "out of the game"?

Post by Northernlad » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:29 pm

Although you state that you aren't currently occupying a role which is contributing to your professional development, nobody can take that AP experience away from you and surely that will go some way in moving you toward you goals. I am wondering what you currently do, and how far removed from psychology you feel your role is?

I'm not sure how helpful this is but I have been working in mental health/psychology related roles pretty much continuously since university - yet this includes a summer I took to go travelling and voluntary roles too. I might add that I gained a place on training this year but it has taken me 8 years since finishing my undergraduate degree.

Keep going, you got this :)

NL

NotReally

Re: What's the longest you've been "out of the game"?

Post by NotReally » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi NL

Congrats on training!

I'm in customer service atm. The reason I don't feel it's helping is I also did a CS role after graduating for a little while, so a lot of the communication skills etc that I could develop, I did during that period. My last role was temp, and when that finished I thought I'd find anything else to keep me going whilst I searched for something relevant in the meantime. Fast forward a year and I'm still searching.

Like you (I'm assuming), I'm also a northern lad and the opportunities up here are scarce. It's made easier by the fact I'm more than able and willing to travel, but I've been to more than a few AP interviews recently, and am usually told there was someone with more experience than me, even with that AP experience, so that's a little disheartening.