Voluntary AP positions on weekends

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
sparko

Voluntary AP positions on weekends

Post by sparko » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone is aware of the potential for voluntary/honorary AP positions to be available on Saturdays? I'm about to finish my MSc conversion degree and I currently work full-time in a public health role. Whilst I have 12 years of client-facing experience to draw upon (mainly in smoking cessation) and will be applying for next year's intake, I want to build up more relevant experience in case I am not successful. As I'm on the top of a band 6 (NHS pay scale) with a mortgage, I can't afford to leave my job for paid work as an AP, RA, PWP etc. I'm therefore wondering what the potential is for voluntary work as an AP on a Saturday?

Many thanks in advance.

maven
Site Admin

Re: Voluntary AP positions on weekends

Post by maven » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:25 am

Negligible in my experience.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

BlueCat
Site Admin

Re: Voluntary AP positions on weekends

Post by BlueCat » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:07 pm

Highly unlikely. Whilst there are settings in which a clinical psychologist may work that will be operational on Saturdays, such as prisons, inpatient facilities, some outreach projects, it is unlikely that any psychologists will be around on a Saturday for you to assist!
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.