Out of employment/education. What can I do to help myself now?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Opetha

Out of employment/education. What can I do to help myself now?

Post by Opetha » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:53 pm

Hey all :-)

I have graduated from my MSc, i'm currently not in employment. I'm looking for relevant jobs but really struggling to find anything at all within a 30 mile radius of where I live (still nothing when I extend it to 40, which is my commutable limit).

So, my question is, what can I do with my free time in my current position to further educate myself, learn new valuable skills and gain useful experience etc?

Are there any free online / distance learning courses that may be useful?
Could I start contacting charities and such places to offer up my volunteer time? What kind of volunteering would be most beneficial for a future career in Clin psychology?

I'm really just keen to try and make the most of my free time and to try and find ways to use it which will be beneficial for my future.

Any ideas or thoughts are welcome and appreciated!

Thank you all

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Esuma

Re: Out of employment/education. What can I do to help myself now?

Post by Esuma » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:59 am

Have a look at the open uni free courses or other free online courses or do some general reading if you’re keen to keep busy in that way!

Otherwise I would suggest looking for health care assistant / support worker type roles to get started or trying charities linked to mental health / your local hospital for volunteering but it can be tricky to secure relevant experience!

Opetha

Post by Opetha » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:13 pm

Thank you Esuma, I really appreciate your reply!

I've actually just signed up for an account with OpenLearn from the Open University, and i've been writing down a list of courses I think look useful and interesting.

I just feel so useless at the moment, I am desperate to try and take steps forward, but I feel like i'm not getting anywhere!

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:17 pm

It’s very frustrating taking those first steps on the ladder but you’ll get there! Try and enjoy the journey as much as you can and not race around and stress yourself out and focusing on doing too much - easier said than done I know!

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:42 pm

https://www.futurelearn.com/
https://www.coursera.org
These two gold mines might also be worth looking at. Lots of interesting courses, mostly free, statistics, mental health, but also other things that could be of interested and might be stimulating in one way or another.

I do agree with Esuma, try to enjoy the journey as much as you can. Also, it helps to be creative and open-minded; quite a few jobs might not look directly "relevant" but could be full of valuable learning opportunities :) Good luck!
:cat: I like cats! :cat: