HCPC registration vs Experience

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
sarapsi

HCPC registration vs Experience

Post by sarapsi » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:01 pm

Hello everybody,

I've finished my Master's Degree in Clinical Psychology this year (EU country, Portugal). I don't belong to a regulatory body in Portugal.

I'm working as a Support Worker in a school (children with SEND), here in the UK. Before that, I completed the internship required to finish my Master's, back in Portugal (Primary Healthcare, with children and adults, working as an Intern Clinical Psychologist). I was also a volunteer with minorities for almost one year, and I have some experience in research.

I'm enjoying the work as a Support Worker, but I want to do anything more psychology related. I've seen a few vacancies that don't require being a member of HCPC, like Assistant Psychology, Research Assistant or Well being practitioner.

I want to ask for some advice, because I want to get more experience to:
a) Apply to HCPC via international route; and/or
b) Apply to a Doctoral Program

I've contacted HCPC and they said it's not mandatory belonging to a regulatory body for them to accept and consider my application (via International Route). However, I've read that it's not that easy to be accepted. I don't mind if they ask me to go for apprenticeships/internships before accepting me, and/or having an exam, I just didn't want to have an application rejected. It's a lot of money...

Also, I'm worried about the Brexit thing, because maybe their standards will change after March 2019.

That being said (and it was a lot, I'm sorry!), what do you advice me to do? Apply to HCPC before March? Trying to have more experience and maybe apply to HCPC later/Doctoral Program?

Thank you so much ^_^

miriam
Site Admin

Re: HCPC registration vs Experience

Post by miriam » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:42 am

There is a European recognition agreement, but I really hope post-brexit we can return to being tougher about this, because I've met quite a few people who got equivalence agreed by the HCPC that I wouldn't consider qualified. I certainly wouldn't employ someone as a practitioner psychologist without a doctorate level qualification. I can't really advise on what the process is like or the likelihood of success, but there are threads on here in which people have posted about going through HCPC applications for accreditation.

You could certainly apply for a PWP post or a research assistant post, or try to gain an AP post (though these are highly competitive, especially in the NHS, and often get 100+ applicants). You are likely to need NHS experience and knowledge of the role of the CP in the UK to stand a chance at applying for the clinical doctorate course here, and again this is highly competitive. The starting point would be to check that your qualification has the graduate basis for chartered membership with the BPS.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Dee08

Post by Dee08 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:39 pm

I know I'm late to this post but I would echo what Miriam has said. Through recent experiences of recruitment and becoming aware HCPC practitioner registration (through EMR) is being given by the HCPC with qualifications and experience that is not equivalent it is of increasing concern that standards of the profession will be affected detrimentally. For example members of the public seeking private work from a clinical psychologist will, understandably, assume HCPC registered psychologists have an adequate level of training and experience.

Ultimately whatever you decide/decided clinical competence to provide a safe, evidence based and helpful service to clients is most important. Good luck in your endeavours!

MartaRosa

Post by MartaRosa » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 am

Hi! Did you end up registering with HCPC? I'm in a similar situation and don't know if I should register or not!

alexh

Post by alexh » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:08 pm

If the Clinical associate role becomes a reality it might be a better equivalent to the non doctoral European qualifications.

dilushi98

Post by dilushi98 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:48 am

Do you need to have a HCPC for an assistant psychologist/research assistant role?

ell

Post by ell » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:26 pm

dilushi98 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:48 am
Do you need to have a HCPC for an assistant psychologist/research assistant role?
No. Also, job adverts will usually say if some sort of registration is required.