Anybody else feeling hopeless about finding a relevant job?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Kw165

Anybody else feeling hopeless about finding a relevant job?

Post by Kw165 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:33 pm

I don't think many people I know can relate to what it's like to face rejection and uncertainty about future career prospects to the extent psychology grads can.. I'm feeling particularly hopeless about it at the moment and I'd love to hear from anybody feeling the same way?

I graduated in 2016, I'm doing my masters in psychotherapy, I feel like I work pretty hard. I have 3 different voluntary roles on top of studying and doing an admin job part time. I also work as a healthcare assistant on bank in the NHS trust I work at

I just want a permanent role that allows me to use some of the skills from my degree/post grad training. I'd be very happy with a support worker role. I apply for things all the time and never get short listed
Recently, I finally got an interview, but didn't get the job.

I feel like I'm never going to get anywhere. I am working really hard and it feels like it's all for nothing

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Ekorn

Re: Anybody else feeling hopeless about finding a relevant job?

Post by Ekorn » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:48 am

I can relate to this. I was in quite a dark place following my MSc and didn’t go to my graduation as I felt like a failure. It was a struggle to get my first permanent post. I ended up working as temp support worker at a special education needs college. I really enjoyed it although I could hardly live off the money. I kept on applying for everything, but hardly got any interviews.

My second interview was for a nursing assistant post at a forensic medium secure mental health hospital. I ended up being hired on the spot. I thought this was quite odd at the time, but looking back on it I understand they were desperate for staff due to high turnovers. I was very fortunate with my ward, and I loved the challenges of the job. I stayed in the job for 3+ years. However, due to increasing staff turnovers and lack of development opportunities it became unbearable.

It was frustrating to start job hunting again. This time I got interviews for ¾ of the jobs I applied for, but there was always someone more experienced than me in that particular role. Or I was told I was overqualified. I felt stuck, but used it as a learning curve and my interview style improved with the experience. In the end someone on the panel of an interview for a job I did not get, offered me another similar role in another department.

Keep going. It will get easier after a few rounds. Did you get feedback after your interview? Do you have anyone that can have a look at your applications?

redpanda21

Post by redpanda21 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:57 pm

For a lot of people following the path of postgrad psychology the journey is rough. I applied to many support worker and healthcare assistant roles but was rejected, so decided to take a different route and applied to be a Learning Support Assistant with the SEND department of a secondary school - they dealt with much more than learning difficulties/disabilities alone and, thankfully, this job and experience is what landed me a role as a permanent healthcare assistant in an inpatient ward (CAMHS). I know CAMHS isn't for everyone, but once you've been a healthcare assistant it tends to become easier to get the same or similar roles elsewhere (from my experience).
It sounds like you have plenty of experience and knowledge for such a role so you'll get there. I graduated in 2014 and have been struggling pretty much ever since! Now I'm an Assistant Psychologist and applying for the doctorate. The experience you have (and will get), as well as the struggle, may well better prepare you for the career you are working towards. I would just emphasise the word 'reflective'; everywhere and everyone likes to see a reflective professional so I'd practice self-reflection for applications and interviews. Keep going, look after yourself, and don't be too hard on yourself. Good luck!

JB99

Post by JB99 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:40 pm

I'm really sorry that you're going through this. The adult world is not a comforting place in many instances, and this process is a stark reminder of this fact.

I just thought I would add some advice about applications. Following my masters, I spent two months solid applying to every AP job in the country, and had no interviews. My sister read my application, and pointed out that it was not structured right. She told me you have to effectively go through the person specification, and demonstrate why you meet each criteria. After I started to follow this approach, I started getting interviews. Not many, but maybe once a month (out of about 15 applications). It's about working the system sometimes. Nothing about my character changed in those two months, it was purely about how I sold myself on the application form.

Kw165

Post by Kw165 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:23 pm

Ekorn wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:48 am
Keep going. It will get easier after a few rounds. Did you get feedback after your interview? Do you have anyone that can have a look at your applications?
I did get feedback, basically was told that I'd interviewed very well but the successful person scored higher. They made some comments that I was slightly too generic in my answers sometimes. I'm going to try and take that on board, but this is the first time I've managed to get to interview stage so I was really disappointed
I do have people check over my applications, I've found the advice on here really helpful as well. I'll just have to keep trying I guess, at the moment I'm taking a hiatus from applying, but I'll jump back in at some stage

Thank you for everybody's replies it's nice to hear from other people who get this situation

Followerofdreams

Post by Followerofdreams » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:59 pm

I'm not sure if what i'm about to say is helpful or not. I graduated from my BSc in 2011 and my MSc in 2013. I've picked up a couple of jobs that was more mainly physical health care research. It was loosely relevant as I got to learn more about research in general and more broadly about clinical trials. A lot of my roles have been stepping stones, they've helped give me a greater understanding of the NHS and the different roles within.

I know particularly at the moment the job climate is quite poor in both the public and private sector. Brexit has caused a lot of uncertainty. In that regards, don't feel too disheartened as one job may have loads more people apply to it than ever before. It is a horrible process and I have certainly felt that I have wasted time, money and knowledge. Although, I say that I don't regret the path I have taken as I've met some incredible people and worked with clients who have shown me anything is possible.

So I echo what a lot of what people on here have said "To enjoy the journey".

Kw165

Post by Kw165 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:16 am

Update!
Hi everyone, just wanted to update that in a weird turn of events, I was offered this job that I was originally unsuccessful for a couple of days ago, due to the other candidate not taking up the offer

redpanda21

Post by redpanda21 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Fantastic - congrats!
Sometimes things have a weird way of turning out okay.. Now go celebrate :D