Outsiders perspective for career help

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Jonaht

Outsiders perspective for career help

Post by Jonaht » Sun May 05, 2019 3:08 am

Hi all,

New to this forum so I hope this is okay to write about this here. I have been researching the internet like a mad man over the past few weeks and still struggling to make an informed decision on a solid career path into what aspect of mental health I would like to go down.

I am in my late 20s and grounded in a small city so job opportunities in mental health are rare but AP positions come up once or twice a year.

I studied criminology and sociology at undergraduate and got a 2.2 and then did the MSc in psychology conversion course and got a high 2.1 and want to either go in counselling psychology or mental health nursing.

I used to work in marketing for 5 years but now currently work in a non mental health ward as a healthcare assistant. Volunteer as a crisis counsellor and at the Samaritans so I believe my experience is okayish but lacking in some of the things that AP positions ask for

I would love to go into counselling psychology but worried about the length of time it would take to get there, the cost (I would have to do it part time so 6 or so years) and the risk of not getting a job at the end of it. So my backup is mental health nursing which I kind of enjoy and I know there's plenty of jobs our there for it but I feel if I did that my psychology degree and potential may be wasted in fear that it's straying from a career in psychology

Am I sounding like a anxious mad man or is anyone able to share some insight or helpful advice please?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Esuma

Re: Outsiders perspective for career help

Post by Esuma » Sun May 05, 2019 11:40 am

Have you looked at IAPT and roles like PWP? There’s no reason if you did mental health nursing you couldn’t do training like CBT after qualifying

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Outsiders perspective for career help

Post by miriam » Sun May 05, 2019 4:27 pm

There are plenty of nurse therapists, and nurses are always needed and never short of employment. So I think that's a good career choice. You can always train in CBT or other therapies as a mental health nurse, and the route is way less competitive than being a CP and way less expensive than being a CoP. I'd avoid the AP thing, as they are enormously competitive and not necessary for the career paths you are considering.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com