Assistant psychologist - how long do you stay in one role?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Smallblonde02

Assistant psychologist - how long do you stay in one role?

Post by Smallblonde02 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:02 am

Hi all,

I’m intrigued as to how long on average people tend to stay in one assistant psychologist role before moving on to another?

Any experiences and thoughts welcome.

Alice132

Re: Assistant psychologist - how long do you stay in one role?

Post by Alice132 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:55 pm

A lot of AP roles (especially within the NHS) are fixed term contracts for 12 months. I've known people who have had that contract renewed and have stayed in one role for several years but as a rule most of the other Assistants I know tend to move on at the end of their contract to try and gain more varied experience. Hope that helps :)
It would be so nice if something made sense for a change

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:07 pm

Typically people stay for the length of their contract if it is fixed term (6-12 months) and 12-24 months if the post is permanent, depending on how much they are learning and being stretched, and how much they enjoy it. It can be good to compare and contrast different ways of working and different client groups, and to see both NHS and private/third sector services, for example. I stayed two years in my first AP post (which was primarily a research role) and I've had several people stay 18-24 months in my company.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

PinkFreud19

Post by PinkFreud19 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:59 pm

I think I may be unusual, but I stayed in my AP role for two and a half years. It was a permanent contract. I thought about moving onto another AP job, and even applied to a bunch, but there was a research project that I was establishing in the service, so I wanted to stay as a means of gaining research experience.

The research project sadly fell through, but I did make it onto clinical training despite only working in one service.