What to do next? Career advice!!

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
sanya96

What to do next? Career advice!!

Post by sanya96 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi there,

I am a current masters student studying applied clinical psychology and finish end of this month!
However, I have no idea what to do next my current experience is:

- Volunteer Co-ordiantor of a charity providing hydrotherapy to patients with neurological conditions
- Volunteering role for a charity which provides support to children and families with trauma

My degree has been very useful in providing my an insight into clinical psychology as I have done some roleplay with medical actors, my dissertation is with a neurological population and I have done in-depth formulation.
But I just don't know what job role to apply for once I finish? I am not sure if I have enough experience for an AP role. :(

Thanks in advance for any advice :D

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: What to do next? Career advice!!

Post by maven » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:21 pm

Almost no chance of getting an AP role, I'd say. So I'd focus on trying to get a paid post doing something relevant - working in a day hospital for older people with dementia, a group home with people with learning disabilities, a mental health ward, a children's home, a school, or a charity as a nursing assistant, care worker, rehab assistant, domiciliary carer, support worker or something like that. Or apply for research posts in a clinically relevant project or service if you've got good research skills.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

dilushi98

Post by dilushi98 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:46 am

Where did you do your applied clinical Psychology degree? I am thinking of doing it at Bath, but dont know much about it. Was it good?

Thank you

sanya96

Post by sanya96 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:13 am

@dilushi98 Hi, I am doing my masters at UCLAN (Preston) and I have found it to be generally quite good. I have learnt a lot about clinical psychology that I did not get taught at undergrad which has changed my values and a lot about interventions. Check your course if they have clinical psychologist teaching as this has been something that has been really helpful. Hope this helps.