Which is better - masters or AP post?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
victoriamay

Which is better - masters or AP post?

Post by victoriamay » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:56 pm

Hi :) I'm about to go into my final year of university studying psychology at Bath university, and need to decide what my next step is. I don't know whether to it would be better to (attempt to) get an AP post, or whether to do a masters. This is my current education/experience for context

Education
A levels: straight A*s
University: on track for a first

Experience
1 year working as a carer for children with disabilities
1 year volunteering at nightline
1 year volunteering at a therapy group for people with OCD
1 year honorary assistant psychologist job working at Bethlem hospital in the anxiety disorders department
1 year volunteering at a charity working with the homeless
and brief months/weeks at various hospitals + other voluntary experience

I'm unsure as to what will strengthen my application more, a masters degree (to show research skills/academic skills) or whether its best just to try and gain more experience and aim for an AP post or other related position. Any advice would be hugely appreciated, as I've tried talking to my parents and friends about it but they don't really have a clue :lol:

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
alexh

Re: Which is better - masters or AP post?

Post by alexh » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:08 pm

AP.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:27 pm

I agree with Alex, hain some more experience and aim for an AP post. If you are on track for a 1st, a Master's would be pretty redundant (not to add expensive!) as a 1st clearly demonstrates your academic ability.

victoriamay

Post by victoriamay » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Thank you both very much :)