Are clinical psychologists automatically able to provide CBT?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Haze18

Are clinical psychologists automatically able to provide CBT?

Post by Haze18 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:59 pm

I've got a quick question which I've been getting so confused about.

Are CP's automatically able to provide CBT to their clients when required?
Or do all those CP's with online portfolios who have something in their biography about being able to provide CBT or DBT for example, have extra training or qualifications in these areas, such as a PG diploma after they actually become a registered CP? Some seem to offer things like Mindful Self Compassion to clients, but I assume for this sort of niche, they have done external training.

This has all stemmed from looking online at the "Cognitive Behaviour Therapy High Intensity Postgraduate Diploma" just for information on how to provide CBT, but it seems one of the requirements is to essentially be a registered Clinical Psychologist unless going through the KSA framework route. As a support worker about to do an MSc in clinical psychology, the KSA route doesn't seem like it will be possible for me with my lack of experience, but that's besides the point.

Thank you!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Are clinical psychologists automatically able to provide CBT?

Post by miriam » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:54 pm

For the past few years, CP training has included explicit competency in CBT and at least one other model of therapy, with some courses combining with some IAPT HI teaching, or going for professional accreditation in CBT. Prior to that doctoral CP courses included training in at least two models of therapy, and for most CPs that included CBT, but it was more informal and not compulsory (so some people might have completed training without more than a basic level of CBT training, if they have focused on other models). Nonetheless, some CPs decide to gain additional expertise in particular models, or in applying models to particular client groups after the doctorate so they feel more skilled or confident.

Therapy training courses often require a core profession to give the autonomy to practice and the basic underlying therapeutic skills. As I understand it the KSA route is typically used to move up from PWP work.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Haze18

Re: Are clinical psychologists automatically able to provide CBT?

Post by Haze18 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:49 pm

miriam wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:54 pm
For the past few years, CP training has included explicit competency in CBT and at least one other model of therapy, with some courses combining with some IAPT HI teaching, or going for professional accreditation in CBT.
Thank you very much, this makes a lot more sense!