Swedish CP qualification - Work in UK

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
MFHG

Swedish CP qualification - Work in UK

Post by MFHG » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi there

I have a niche question which neither the BPS, my current university or HCPC were able to answer.

Does anyone know of any Swedish CPs who have successfully integrated into the NHS workforce as either CPs or related professions (such as CBT therapist for example)?

Background info: I am currently doing a conversion course at the UoE over two years, but have also been accepted on the CP programme in Sweden. It is not a Doctorate, it is a 5 Masters which integrates clinical placements over the course of the programme and which culminates in a a license to practice as a CP in Sweden. One can also practice in other fields of psychology, such as Ed Psych or Occupational Psych depending on how one tailors the degree. My end goal is to return to the UK perhaps a couple years post-qualification.

Given the situation regarding DCLIN in the UK, I am wondering which would really be a smarter option. Train in Sweden and return to complete periods of adjustments and perhaps risk not being able to register as a CP, or continue along the path I am on here and risk the DCLIN route and career stagnation if not successful. I know of psychologists who have succeeded, I would just like to know if anyone out there has direct experience of this pathway or knows someone else who has?

Many thanks.

MFHG

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Swedish CP qualification - Work in UK

Post by miriam » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:27 pm

There is currently a european agreement to mutually respect other state's qualification in psychology, and psychology is currently a shortage profession and a reason that would allow someone to immigrate. However, with Brexit looming it is hard to anticipate whether this will be the case in the future. Plus if your real goal is to work in the UK, you might find it easier post qualification to find employment of your choice with a UK doctorate qualification. Thinking about it with a UK career in mind I think it would be strange to train abroad, rather than to undertake a doctorate here, then to have to gain equivalence and be constantly explaining why you don't have a doctorate.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

MFHG

Re: Swedish CP qualification - Work in UK

Post by MFHG » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:57 pm

Thank you for your reply Miriam.

Brexit indeed puts a spanner in the works.

In relation to the doctorate, it would ideally be my first choice but I am concerned about not being able to get on to it. Currently I am on track for a first and gaining the relevant experience but my tutor and many other peers have warned me about the competition and potential for dissapointment. I suppose I'll have to weigh up the risks.

Thanks

MFHG