Unsure what to do

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Poppy5

Unsure what to do

Post by Poppy5 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi Everyone,

I’ll give some background info first before explaining my situation. Overall I am unsure if i want to pursue clinical or educational psychology as a career so at the minute I’m just trying to gain experience with different populations/ages in different settings so see what I like and to build my experience.

I have started a new role in the behaviour support team working with individuals with LD and mental health problems. I have been in the position for a few months and am unsure whether it is for me. It is a new role and there is not much framework/ structure around it so far. Managers are also stretched, and so it is up to yourself to use your own initiative so find tasks to do throughout the day which is tough as you can feel out of your depth and lost at times. The main reason I’d want to stay would be due to the experience it could give me, as the behaviour support team also works along side psychological therapies and the role is in a clinical setting within the NHS.

However I am also on the register for learning support with a local college and since term time is starting up i’m unsure wether to take up this position instead, although there is cons to this as it would be a 0 hour contract and due to tight budgets full time hours may not be guaranteed.

I do feel like my current job would give me more experience if there was more of a framework and direction however due to the situation at the minute, in which you could be sitting just covering lunches I don’t feel like it’s beneficial for me atm. I have talked with my line managers about how I am feeling and they have been very understanding and said themselves that they are finding their feet with regards to the role.

At the minute I’m waiting to see what possible hours the school could give me, and go from there. I have also thought of possibly doing part time hours with both jobs if my current job lets me as an option.

Any advice would be very much appreciated,

Thanks

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Prosopon

Re: Unsure what to do

Post by Prosopon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:40 am

Hi Poppy, I don't really know what you should do but had a similar experience when I first started my current job. There was no support or guidance on what I was meant to be doing and I was pretty much left to my own devices. Having previously worked in a very structured role, within a big, supportive team, this was an unsettling experience for me! I found the lack of direction frustrating and worrying at times and strongly considered quitting.

However, I decided to stick it out and began viewing it as an opportunity to develop the role and really make it my own. Two years on, I'm glad I stayed. I enjoy my job and feel confident doing it. I've gained skills in self-motivation, working independently with little direction from others, creative thinking, relationship-building, planning and organisation and much more, all of which I think has made me more ready for clinical training. If you think you could do something similar within your own role, then it may be worth sticking with. But then the part-time option sounds good as well if possible as you'd be able to explore different areas at the same time and see what suits you better. Best of luck whatever you decide!
"Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

~From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Poppy5

Post by Poppy5 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:42 pm

Thanks for your response, I greatly appreciate it. I think I’m going to stick it out as I do feel the expereince will be valuable in the long run especially with regards to working with MDTs.

I’ve decided to do one evening class with the learning support so i’ll be able to fit it in once a week around my full time hours, as I think my biggest fear was possibly missing out on an opportunity. Thanks again for your input!

Followerofdreams

Post by Followerofdreams » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:27 pm

Hi Poppy,
had a similar role that had no structure and the guidance for the role was very minimum. I worked with physical health nurses who had limited understand of psychology or what role psychological therapies played. However, I did have supervision from a clinical psychologist who was pivotal in helping me create and develop the role. We used supervision to see what I could gain in terms of experience and it was through this position that I gained experience to then be successful in becoming an AP (I did this 2 days a week alongside my role). After two years and subequant employment I managed to obtain a high intensity trainee post.
Moral to the story find out what you want to get out of the position. It might not be what you want to do now but what skills will you learn along the way? Every role I've had I've got something out of it, even if it was as simple of learning what I don't like doing.