Advice for next step

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Shevlin

Advice for next step

Post by Shevlin » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:31 am

Hello there.

I have very little contact in my everyday life with people who would be able to help or advise me and so some input from here would be hugely appreciated.

I am 31 years old and will graduate next year with a 1st in my psychology degree from the Open Uni. I began that degree intending to try and eventually work as a clin psych and that remains my ambition although I do appreciate it is very competitive (I do have back-up plans if necessary).

Basically, as my degree nears its end, I am wondering what would be my best course of action now to give myself the best chance of getting on a doctorate course. A brief outline of my work history these past few years is:

- One year as a support worker in a care home for those with dementia and Alzheimer's.

- One year as a support worker in a psychiatric hospital, primarily on an eating disorders unit but also in PICU and acute wards occasionally.

- Two years as a support worker in a residential setting for young adults with autism.

- Two years working as an ABA behaviour technician, privately employed by a family to work with a young man with autism.

- I also have experience with LD in that my two-year-old daughter has Down syndrome.

Given this experience, what advice would people give as to what to do next? My employer has offered to pay for an MSc in ABA but I am not sure on this. ABA seems to have some very strident critics and I think it may even go against me to have an MSc on my CV? Also, as I am 31, in an ideal world I would bypass getting an MSc at all and avoid another 2 years study prior to the doctorate, although it perhaps may be unavoidably necessary to bolster my academic credentials with a masters.

I know this is a rather vague question any advise would be of great use to me in helping me decide what to do next. As a father to two young children I can't really afford to be too cavalier in my career choices etc. so have to be quite deliberate in the steps I take.

Thanks very much

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Advice for next step

Post by miriam » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:28 am

Apply for AP, research assistant and other roles directly linked with clinical psychology would be my advice. I am not sure what you'd gain from an MSc with a first that you couldn't gain from publishing a paper and getting more prestigious work experience. And it should be possible to secure the latter with such a good mix of academic and applied experience. You might also want to apply for the clinical course in November, even if you view it as a practise run :)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Shevlin

Re: Advice for next step

Post by Shevlin » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:56 am

That is a great help, thanks Miriam.