Should I just give up on a psychology career?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
imonkk

Should I just give up on a psychology career?

Post by imonkk » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:31 am

Having used this forum for advice when I was an undergrad I have gained salient advice and decided to opt against attempting to curate a clinical psychology career.

However, I am now 24 in a local government graduate programme with a current short placement in public health and my drive to work in some psychological aspect is as strong as when I first started studying the subject at A level.

I am currently considering throwing my last dice at a psychology career in health psychology. However, I already have a masters degree in psychological research methods therefore I am unable to obtain a postgraduate loan.

I'm at a crossroads with my current job as the programme finishes at the end of next year. I'm able to apply for jobs where I'm currently working but none of them satisfy my interest like psychology.

My question is should I just give up on working directly in psychology or can anyone give me guidance on how to salvage my both my passion and my soul.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Should I just give up on a psychology career?

Post by miriam » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:04 pm

You'll need to tell us about your experience and grades to date (including percentages) for anyone to offer any individualised advice. Otherwise you might as well just read the general posts on the forum.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

imonkk

Post by imonkk » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:08 pm

My apologies.

BSc Psychology - 2:1 65% average
MSc Psychological Research Methods and Advanced Statistics - Pass

I have 6 months research experience where I assisted two DClinPsy research projects where I coded psychological therapy sessions. I also have around a year paid work experience in general local government social research in topics such as health.

Thanks.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:05 pm

Doesn't sound impossible to me. You could apply to courses with assessment days this year, and then aim to gain some clinical experience in a hands on care role, so that by next year you have a stronger application for courses using traditional selection.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

mungle

Post by mungle » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:31 pm

Also, remember to draw on what you have learnt I your current role that is applicable to CP e.g. leadership, working with teams, understanding governance, theory-practice links etc.