Would training as a mental health nurse increase my strength of application in a few years time ?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
ryan95

Would training as a mental health nurse increase my strength of application in a few years time ?

Post by ryan95 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 am

I am currently at a cross roads and I am unsure of which way to go. I am 30 and I would like to apply for clinical/counselling psychology later on.

But currently I need to earn money in order to support myself and my family I saw a posting about training to be a RMN which is possible to train to do this in 2 years given graduate entry. Whilst I enjoy working with people the hours and the work life balance I feel wouldn’t be great but I feel this would really strengthen my application for a doctorate in say 4 years time.

I also like the added fact that mental health practitioner/high intensity therapy roles and the like would be accessible to myself if I obtained the MSc in mental health nursing.

BA honours 1st class fine art
PG diploma counselling and psychotherapy Merit
PGCE He education
Level 5 CBT certification.

I also have years of care and work experience with complex emotional and physical needs. As well as one to one therapy experiences within a neurological rehabilitation service.

lingua_franca

Re: Would training as a mental health nurse increase my strength of application in a few years time ?

Post by lingua_franca » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:02 pm

Before you can apply for any of the practitioner doctorates in psychology, you need to have Graduate Basis for Chartership (GBC). This means completing a conversion Master's or postgraduate diploma in psychology that is accredited by the British Psychological Society. Qualifying as a nurse seems like a very roundabout and expensive way of getting to where you want to go, especially as you presumably wouldn't be earning during the nursing degree and the NHS bursaries for nurses have been scrapped.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

xxpoogletxx

Re: Would training as a mental health nurse increase my strength of application in a few years time ?

Post by xxpoogletxx » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:19 pm

I also looked at doing the graduate entry RMN course quite a few years ago, the bit that put me off was one of the questions on the application was something like 'tell us why you want to be a mental health nurse'. I didn't, I was merely planning on using it as a step towards the clinical doctorate and so I decided against this option, it just didn't feel right to me and I wasn't sure I wanted to spend two years of my life training for something I actually didn't want to do.

I'm not sure that becoming a mental health nurse would strengthen your doctorate any more than any other option. I have met many wonderful mental health nurses who thought in really psychologically informed ways, but unfortunately by nature of their job they are more tied to the 'medical model' of mental health. That's not to say that you wouldn't be able to get on the doctorate having been an RMN as it's much more about what you have taken from your experiences and how you reflect on them, rather than the specific experiences themselves. Have you thought about the PWP route? After training you can apply for band 5 positions and can also move on to HI training in the future.

Also I can see that your BA is not in psychology and you haven't listed a psychology conversion masters in your qualifications. You need to have a psychology degree (either undergrad or conversion course) that gives you GBC to be able to apply for the clinical or counselling psychology doctorates.

ryan95

Post by ryan95 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:21 pm

Thank you for your replies I am well aware of the need to do a conversion Msc in psychology, I was simply just thinking about the earning potential of mental health nursing given I am in a bad financial way currently and need a solid career instead of surfing between zero hour care and support roles.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:17 pm

A two-year intensive nursing programme is a financial barrier in itself. If you want a mental health core profession and you need to be earning sooner rather than later, then I'd look at one of the salaried training schemes in social work, Frontline and Think Ahead.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:11 pm

I also think that going via nursing with a goal of clinical psychology makes no sense, especially if you don't have a qualification in psychology at all. To progress into a practitioner psychologist role you need GBC first and foremost, and then relevant experience - and nursing probably isn't even the best way to get the latter, as it might not be directly working with or ideally supervised by a CP.

So I think you need to go back to basics and work out what it is you really want to do. How do you know it is CP if you have neither academic nor vocational experience of any branch of psychology? If what you want is to help people with mental health problems and earn a wage as soon as possible, then social work or nursing make a lot of sense as career paths in themselves, but probably not as a route to psychology.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

ryan95

Post by ryan95 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Thank you for your feedback and insight I have counselling to fall back on so I do have relevant experience to psychology directly however like you mentioned I would need to do a conversion in psychology in order to be eligible to apply directly for the doctorate. Food for thought.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:50 pm

ryan95 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:15 pm
I have counselling to fall back on so I do have relevant experience to psychology directly
I don't know why you are under this misapprehension, but counselling is not psychology.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare