Perinatal/postnatal mental health?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
danuutka

Careers in maternal mental health?

Post by danuutka » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:59 pm

Hello. I am a final year Psychology student, who is on course for a 1st class degree. I spent a year in industry working within an inpatient psychiatric CAMHS unit, and have volunteered with vulnerable youth for about a year. I am also currently involved in mental health based societies at university.

I'm mainly posting this to ask if there are any jobs I could go for that people are aware of, once I graduate. I have a particular interest in maternal mental health, and I am writing my dissertation on this topic. However when I try to research it online, most of the jobs within maternal mental health require a midwifery background.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Re: Careers in maternal mental health?

Post by Randomswirls » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:53 pm

Hello

Perinatal Mental Health services strikes me as being the most linked service. They tend to employ a number of different professionals including clinical psychologists.

I know there has been a huge amount of investment in this area recently.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:53 pm

Look for roles in NHS mother and baby units, and also consider the third sector - Women's Aid, supported accommodation for homeless women and their children, etc. They tend to recruit for support workers and mentors fairly often.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Northernlad

Post by Northernlad » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:27 pm

Many of the IAPT teams I have worked in have also had PWPs/HI therapists working into perinatal pathways.

danuutka

What do I do after graduating?!

Post by danuutka » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Hi all! I'm having a bit of a pre-graduation crisis. Unfortunately, the careers department in my uni isn't very knowledgeable about psychology related careers that aren't clinical psychology, and it is the same case with my academic tutors..

My question is - what sorts of things CAN I do once I graduate with a BSc Psychology (industrial) - I'm on course for a first class degree. I would love to work within mental health in some capacity once I graduate (I'm particularly interested in postpartum mental health), but have no idea what is out there other than assistant psychologist roles? I would just like to be able to explore many different options, but my multiple google searches haven't given me much information!

miriam
Site Admin

Re: What do I do after graduating?!

Post by miriam » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:16 am

Loads of information on the forum about this. I'd start with the wiki.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

danuutka

Perinatal/postnatal mental health?

Post by danuutka » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:46 am

I will be graduating this summer with a BSc Psychology (Industry). I am very interested in maternal mental health - so much so that I am writing my dissertation on it. I would love to gain more experience within this particular field after graduating, however there is not much information online about what positions are available etc.

I've noticed that most pathways into perinatal mental health require a midwifery background, which I, of course, do not have. It appears that most postnatal/perinatal mental health practitioners are midwives who have done a course on mental health. So I am wondering if anyone is aware of any positions/roles/courses which would allow me to work within maternal mental health as a psychology graduate?

Lbee123

Re: Perinatal/postnatal mental health?

Post by Lbee123 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:58 pm

Hi, You could look for a support worker type role on a mother and baby unit?

lingua_franca

Re: Perinatal/postnatal mental health?

Post by lingua_franca » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:45 pm

This is the third time you've posted this question. People made some suggestions to you when you asked before.

I have merged all three threads so the information is easily at hand here - mod
Last edited by miriam on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: to merge threads, remove link to past thread and add a note
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.