Was it everything you hoped it would be?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
g4reth

Was it everything you hoped it would be?

Post by g4reth » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:39 am

Hi guys,

Embarking on a conversion course with the Open University at age 40 to start the ball rolling - my goal to train in clinical psychology. Looking for inspiration to keep me focussed, so my question is, for all those of you who stuck with the programme and are now working as Clinical Psychologists:

Was it worth it? Would you do it all again if you had the choice?

Thanks in advance - oh, and well done you all!
g4reth

astra

Post by astra » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:16 am

I think I would! I really enjoy my job even though it's challenging and frustrating at times. I think the training course is a necessary evil if you want to come out the other side! I did enjoy training some of the time and never ceased to be amazed at how much I learnt and achieved in those 3 years. But it was bl**dy hard work and there were numerous times when I could have quite happily thrown in the towel. I suppose it's like any challenge really, it wouldn't be a challenge if it wasn't tough and didn't test you to the limits at times, but then the sense of achievement is really great when you do get through. I started the doctorate at 36 and finished at 40. Now 2 and a half years on I feel like I've really "got there" at last - not only qualified but settled in a post and no longer feeling like I'm the oldest trainee in town or the oldest newbie in town - I'm now just plain old me doing a job I enjoy. It was a rocky road to get here but now I can just sit back and enjoy the view for a while, not feeling career-driven at all at the moment and happy to just do the day to day job and not strive for anything. Actually I've reached that stage in my wider life too - not striving, not trying to achieve anything, just living the life I've got here and now and having some real fun for a change. It's a nice place to be and I appreciate it all the more for the struggles I've had to get here.
Not sure how that answers the OP, just went of on a whimsical rant of my own there :wink:

mungle

Post by mungle » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:55 pm

As an aside, OU Psychological Society (OUPS) events, in particular overview days and revision weekends can be great at helping you through the degree and provide a much-need motivation boost at crucial times.