European citizens

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
earhart17

European citizens

Post by earhart17 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:55 am

Hi everyone,

Is there any other European citizen with a DClinPsy offer this year?
What are your thoughts about accepting it? Are your centers giving any guarantees on the funding for the whole program?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
clinpsymember

Re: European citizens

Post by clinpsymember » Fri May 25, 2018 7:33 am

Hello

I am an EEA citizen, and I've been offered a place this year too! I haven't actually asked the universities directly, although that sounds like a good idea. I'm just going on the guarantee the government has offered that fee status won't change for courses starting 2018-19.
https://study-uk.britishcouncil.org/pla ... U-students

But seeing the approach the government is taking towards 'foreigners' at the moment, I think I may double check with the uni.

Have you got a place too? What are your thoughts?

alexh

Post by alexh » Fri May 25, 2018 9:56 am

Places and funding for each cohort are agreed and allocated by the Health Education Regions for the three years, not on a continuing year by year basis. It would be impossible to run any course if funding was in doubt each year. Trainees are given a three year contract.

The guarantee linked to by clinpsymember is unequivocal.
Current university students from the EU and those applying to courses starting in 2017–18 and 2018-19 will not see any changes to their loan eligibility or fee status. This guarantee will apply for the full duration of the course, even if the course finishes after the UK has left the EU.
I had some querying about my 'home' student status after accepting a place due to having lived abroad and suddenly finding myself also regarded as a foreigner, which was eye-opening.

I was very anxious about it at the time, so I can empathise with your concerns. I did discuss and seek reassurance from the course about it and they were helpful and supportive.

earhart17

Post by earhart17 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:32 pm

Thank you for your response, this is really comforting to hear Alexh. I had checked with the university and they were a little more ambiguous, explaining that the funding for tuition for 3 years is guaranteed, but that they do not have any more information about the NHS salary part than what is currently on the web about the status of EU NHS workers post-Brexit, so that therefore no guarantees could be given. But it does seem that if my offer letter says that I'm being offered a 3-year post with a NHS salary that should be good right?

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Tue May 29, 2018 3:13 pm

You will get a contract to sign from your employing trust. The university doesn't pay your wages so it's understandable that they would be vague in this area.