Applicants with disabilities

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
joanner

Re: Applicants with disabilities

Post by joanner » Wed May 28, 2014 4:19 pm

If I had a diagnosis of epilepsy then I'd tick the disabilities box. If you're applying for a course, it won't discriminate against you and they'd have to make reasonable adjustments if placements involved driving. Trust me, it's much easier to declare a disability upfront before you start a course than declaring it later on when they have to undo plans for you because they didn't know about your disability!

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Once you know it, you can't unknow it...

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Thu May 29, 2014 2:21 pm

Not about ticking the disability box but I wonder if access to work could help? I know in some cases they provide taxis to get to and from work?

Dice

Post by Dice » Thu May 29, 2014 5:59 pm

Hi everyone,

Reading this post from the beginning there were some posts that were really shocking to me (in terms of the level of discrimination experienced). I wonder if things have moved on at all since 2010? I also have a disability and have been wondering whether to 'tick the box', fearing discrimination or 'you don't look disabled to me'-type comments.

In case it is of interest to anyone I wanted to let you know about the Minorities in Clinical Psychology Training Group, a sub-group of the Division of Clinical Psychology Pre-Qualification Group. I attended their conference in April, which was great, and they have a group for people with disabilities (and others for different minority groups). I have posted their description below, you can find their contact details by Googling them, and they have a Facebook group.

Dice

The Minorities in Clinical Psychology Training Group primarily exists to give individuals who by reason of their ethnicity/’race’ or culture, health/disability, parenting/caring responsibilities or sexuality find or would find themselves in a minority position within their training cohort; a chance to get connected to others who may share similar experiences.

1. To facilitate links between minority Trainee Clinical Psychologists and aspiring Clinical Psychologists
2. To help support the personal and professional development of those working towards a career in Clinical Psychology who would identify as being a minority
3. To contribute towards a better understanding of the unique needs and experiences of minority groups within the profession.

Jessibelle

Post by Jessibelle » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:11 am

I also have epilepsy. Decided not to tick the box as I don't entirely see the point of it. As I am lucky enough for my seizures to be pretty well controlled by medication (I now only have a couple of focal seizures a year and a tonic clonic one every 12+ mths or so), I don't generally consider myself disabled. The driving thing is a bit of an issue, but I figure that if I get on, I will be assessed by occupational health anyway at which point any sort of 'reasonable adjustments' would be made if/where necessary.

As an aside and a bit of an update to the 2010 posts: Whilst I was one of the people who initially had made some pretty crappy experiences (earlier in thread), this has not repeated itself again and I have been happily employed in NHS and in a research post at university since. In retrospect I wish I would have not taken the blatantly illegal and frankly ridiculous discrimination, but at the time it was such a blow it left me feeling pretty powerless.

astra

Post by astra » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:28 pm

Can I just cheekily ask the people on here with epilepsy, how thay have managed the transition to independent living and managing the risk aspects? My 13 yo has occasional focal seizures with tonic-clonic features and I find the prospect of her leaving home quite scary. Obviously it wont be for several years yet and she does have other disabilities that will make it more complex, but it's the thought of her having a fit on her own that I'm most scared of. If anyone would like to PM me any thoughts on this topic, rather than derail the disabilities thread, I'd appreciate it.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

Gem2010

Post by Gem2010 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:49 pm

Thank you all for your really helpful comments. :)

mr_tippy

Post by mr_tippy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 pm

I recently was diagnosed with a disablity which will mean that next year I will be able to use this scheme. To be completely honest, I have faith in the principle behind two ticks scheme which means that I have no qualms about the ethics of using the scheme or not, regardless of the extent of my disability's impact upon my day to day functions. In fact, as soon as I learnt of the two ticks scheme I was excited at the prospect of improving my chances of securing an opportunity to impress an interview panel and demonstrate my personality and reflective skills, given that my life span is likely to be less than average!

I have a friend who has an assistant psychologist position lined up on account of contacts in the family, whilst others in London benefit from their location. Others use intellect or personality traits which allow them to excel academically or give them the determination to assert themselves among the competition. Everyone suffers or benefits from various challenges or priveleges. Whilst I am no nihilist, and of course the ethics and strategy behind things like the two ticks scheme deserve debate and personal reflection, at the end of the day in a system which to an extent comes down to chance or luck I'll be happy to tick. The only thing that will stop me is if it doesn't help, and certainly some of the horrible experiences expressed above could put me off.

Also, the two ticks scheme isn't designed for weighing suffering, so the fact that you manage or even no longer experience symptoms is largely irrelevant.