Monitoring diversity of applications

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Will
Team Member

Re: Monitoring diversity of applications

Post by Will » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Borrowed Cone wrote:Is it just me or is this all sounding hideously invasive. I don't really want to tell anyone how many cars my parents have, where they grew up, what jobs they do, or what food they buy their dog.

I'm all for monitoring for equality; but there are limits to the information I am willing to provide about other people I am related to, or even personal historical information. Not necessarily because I feel it would hinder an application I was making, but simply because it is no one else's business.

This drive for ultra-monitoring rather strikes me as some kind of psychotic defence enacted by those with some sort of communist agenda.

The Cone
I agree. It just makes me a bit uncomfortable really. I'm sure you could make an argument for wanting to include all kinds of information on the form. A line has to be drawn somewhere.
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
baa

Post by baa » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:27 pm

I already refuse to fill out a number of the items on diversity forms, I definitely wouldn't fill out one on class - mostly because people define class in a number of different ways e.g. I go by employment - the blunt way!, but it could get all a bit fuzzy with all of the different definitions - f'rinstance, I'd class one of my friends as middle class due to the nature of her job, but she sees it more in a "born and bred working class" identity kind of way.

the ones I like to refuse are sexuality and sometimes religion - it depends how grouchy I'm feeling. I know it's useful to collect the data, but I can't bring myself to tick anything. I also get grouchy at marital status. The other thing I'd like to refuse on all forms is having a title (Miss/Mrs/Ms), but that confuses call centre people :D
At least I'm not as mad as that one!

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Very good, funny man, now where do I sign? :D

(PS - Can I maybe keep my nice bag though? And maybe my books. And I do love my goose feather quilt quite a lot. Um, and maybe the kitchen table. You can take the children though. And the cat. Add them to the communal wealth).
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:02 pm

workingmama wrote:
Very good, funny man, now where do I sign? :D

(PS - Can I maybe keep my nice bag though? And maybe my books. And I do love my goose feather quilt quite a lot. Um, and maybe the kitchen table. You can take the children though. And the cat. Add them to the communal wealth).
you got it comrade ;) x
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

jadeywadey

Post by jadeywadey » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:22 pm

There is always the option of prefer not to say on forms.
Personally the questions about cars were more odd ball suggestions as I'd seen them referred to in research as alternative ways of looking at socio-economic status and opportunities.

Personally I don't see monitoring social class/ socio-economic status/ opportunities as offensive. Do others object to it?

michael2806

Post by michael2806 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:20 pm

I think it is important to monitor social class within clinical psychology, and I personally would not have been offended by this notion at the time of applying. I think we need to ensure, in any feasible way, that the profession reflects the clients we will be seeing. Obviously it is not legal, nor moral, to intentionally bias applications toward individuals from lower SES backgrounds. However, I think careers advice, support at earlier educational stages and in universities, as well as other additional measures including financial support for those from lower SES families, will go some way to helping the situation.

Currently I think the profession unintentionally favours those from affluent backgrounds, due to the path to getting on to training e.g. the need for a university education, potential unpaid positions, post graduate qualifications. It is a problem I think, and one which we need to address, as we are increasingly seeing in not only CP, but many graduate/professional careers e.g. law, medicine, a massive over-representation of those from affluent backgrounds.