2012 application form

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Peach

Re: 2012 application form

Post by Peach » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:59 pm

I have a question which I know has been asked last year but I can't seem to find the response. How do you list a job where you worked variable hours? So you worked anywhere from 0 hours a week to 37.5 with no consistent number of hours? I have no idea what to put for the number of hours worked and there isn't the option to put variable hours. :?
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything, it's too late for you to stop reading.

Morningstar

Post by Morningstar » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:01 pm

I think the suggestion last year was to put an average number of hours and then to specify in the duties section that you worked variable hours. Not an ideal solution as it uses up precious characters you could be using to describe your duties, but I'm not sure how else you could clarify it.

Elfie

Post by Elfie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:15 pm

Peach wrote:How do you list a job where you worked variable hours? So you worked anywhere from 0 hours a week to 37.5 with no consistent number of hours?
Morningstar wrote:I think the suggestion last year was to put an average number of hours and then to specify in the duties section that you worked variable hours.
Yep this is what the Guide for Applicants states to do. I only had one job like this, and the title was Bank Healthcare Assistant, so I'm hoping to maybe not put that the hours I've stated were average in the blurb bit, for exactly the reason Morningstar gives. I'm hoping its a given.

Peach

Post by Peach » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:57 pm

Thank you both! I didn't even realise there was a guide for applicants. :oops:
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything, it's too late for you to stop reading.

CleverHans

Post by CleverHans » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:15 pm

annabel_h wrote:does anyone have advice on how to pick courses? although i don't have any real ties geographically (no mortgage etc), i was planning on just picking ones commutable from where i live, as all my friends / family are here, and i can't see myself enjoying the course if i'm halfway across the country. That said, i have got the impression from reading bits on here that chosing the courses is really difficult! i would like to know what other people have looked for, and what guided you / will guide you in making a decision?

(first time applying in case you didn't guess! have downloaded the form a for several years now but felt that i wouldn't have been able to do it justice, this is first time i feel i might be able to have some sort of shot. although definitely feel i could still do with more experience!)
I agree with everyone else's advice but I also think although you don't have Geographical ties it's important to remember to pick somewhere you can see yourself living for the 3/5 years you're completing the Doctorate and possibly beyond that time should you chose to stay and practice within that trust.

A major factor in my decision making process was also the ratio of places to applicants and where I have a better probability of getting into. For instance Manchester was 1 of my original choices... great city, university sounds impressive and I agreed with their course ethos but on looking at last year's statistics 613 people applied for 25 places. I don't want to be defeatest or negative but I didn't like those odds as much as I liked the odds of universities I had an equal favouring for.

There's another thread about picking courses at random... something about balls in a washing machine if you're a gung ho go with the flow type of person... but I guess I lack what goes in the washing machine!

Good luck
"Self-belief does not necessarily ensure success, but self-disbelief assuredly spawns failure."

CleverHans

Post by CleverHans » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:20 pm

Sophiet wrote:Its interesting that people worry about not having enough hobbies. I worry that citing kitesurfing and snowboarding will make me seem like a distractable adrenaline junkie, fuelling questions such as; will you really be able to focus on a job where you have to sit still for hours at a time.
I'm having the same trouble Sophie! I've been training with the Territorial Army since 2007 and being from Scotland I don't half get a kick out of being up mountains, kayaking round lochs and white water rafting. I think they'll be all "how interesting but when are you going to get your head out of the sea?" but since i've juggled it through a degree and PGDip whilst maintaining part-time jobs on the side I hope I can convince them that my adrenaline junkie side can coexist well with my professional caring side!
"Self-belief does not necessarily ensure success, but self-disbelief assuredly spawns failure."

captain artichoke

Post by captain artichoke » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:59 pm

Good luck everyone applying this year.

A really cheesy suggestion but one that worked for me. When I first applied to get on training I decided I needed something to distract myself - so decided to set myself a completely unrelated goal so whatever the outcome of the application process was I had something to feel proud of at the end of it all. So on the 1st Sept or whenever it was I decided to lose weight and by the time interviews came around I'd lost about 3 stone and reached my goal weight. Not suggesting everyone starts dieting, but you could possibly speak a bit of mandarin by June or know how to snowboard if you decided to. :wink:

ell

Post by ell » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:17 pm

captain artichoke wrote:Good luck everyone applying this year.

A really cheesy suggestion but one that worked for me. When I first applied to get on training I decided I needed something to distract myself - so decided to set myself a completely unrelated goal so whatever the outcome of the application process was I had something to feel proud of at the end of it all. So on the 1st Sept or whenever it was I decided to lose weight and by the time interviews came around I'd lost about 3 stone and reached my goal weight. Not suggesting everyone starts dieting, but you could possibly speak a bit of mandarin by June or know how to snowboard if you decided to. :wink:
This is a great idea I think - perhaps post it in the coping with application anxiety thread? Or a mod could move it maybe?

L

Peach

Post by Peach » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:48 pm

How should I categorise a job as an ABA tutor under area of work/research? Also what about a job as an RA doing clincial research on a project involving children but not a clinical sample?

TeePee

Post by TeePee » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:53 am

Peach wrote:How should I categorise a job as an ABA tutor under area of work/research? Also what about a job as an RA doing clincial research on a project involving children but not a clinical sample?
I think you may need to make your own judgement call here...just weigh up where the role was more heavily placed and base your decisions on that. I don' think there are clear cut guides for things like that.

Snelison

Post by Snelison » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:26 pm

Hi guys,

apologies for changing the conversation topic, but just wondering if anyone is having any problems accessing the online form this afternoon. i was working on it a little while ago, trying to get my personal statement to 3000 characters (i now realise it is 3000 including spaces!), but then when i tried to submit that section i just got an 'oops Google Chrome has gone all stupid and has just lost all the work you spent an hour doing' (i'm paraphrasing a little there! :wink: ). now can't login at all.....

cheers me dears!

Snelison :D :D
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new"
Albert Einstein

"96.2% of all statistics are made up”
Vic Reeves

keepcalm1985

Post by keepcalm1985 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:26 pm

Snelison wrote:Hi guys,

apologies for changing the conversation topic, but just wondering if anyone is having any problems accessing the online form this afternoon. i was working on it a little while ago, trying to get my personal statement to 3000 characters (i now realise it is 3000 including spaces!), but then when i tried to submit that section i just got an 'oops Google Chrome has gone all stupid and has just lost all the work you spent an hour doing' (i'm paraphrasing a little there! :wink: ). now can't login at all.....

cheers me dears!

Snelison :D :D
I've been working on mine this afternoon, and haven't had any problems with the site or chrome crashing...sorry, not very helpful, hope it's just a momentary (albeit annoying) blip! :)
"A certain degree of neurosis is of inestimable value as a drive, especially to a psychologist" Sigmund Freud

Snelison

Post by Snelison » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:49 pm

Ta keepcalm1985! I'll see how its working tomorrow. Its probably just a momentary thing as you say. God this flippin' application . I reckon they make it so stressful to test your resilience or something! :lol:
Albert Einstein

Vic Reeves

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:55 pm

Friday 30th September 2011
16:10
THe University is currently affected
by a power cut. Students and
staff are encouraged to go home. You should check twitter and the website
leeds.ac.uk later today and over
the weekend to check when power is
restored.
to explain any problems with clearing house...
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Snelison

Post by Snelison » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Gilly wrote:
Friday 30th September 2011
16:10
THe University is currently affected
by a power cut. Students and
staff are encouraged to go home. You should check twitter and the website
leeds.ac.uk later today and over
the weekend to check when power is
restored.
to explain any problems with clearing house...
thanks Gilly...you're a legend! try again on monday then i guess folks.... :)
Albert Einstein

Vic Reeves