Publication/dissemination section of application

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
log300

Publication/dissemination section of application

Post by log300 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:44 am

Hi all,

In procrastinating starting this years form I have been musing over last years, and a question has sprung to mind...

On the application form where it says
"Please give details of any publications/dissemination resulting from your work."

What do people put in there?! Obviously any papers published or submitted I'm guessing? (I've also got a poster published which I'd put in) But how far do people go with it? For example, as an RA and the project I was working on was presented at a conference - should that be in there?! Is it *just* published work they're after, or is it anything you've *contributed* to...?

Sorry if it's a daft question or has already been answered, but I don't want to be under selling myself or conversely appearing desperate!

Thanks all! :)
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans...

Lancelot

Re: Publication/dissemination section of application

Post by Lancelot » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:54 am

Yes, of course. It has been disseminated I.e. The conference and it has resulted from your work I.e. As RA working on the project.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:57 pm

I'd prioritise, and put in the best bits. If you have authored a book or a book chapter then I'd put that at the top. If you've authored peer-reviewed publications then I'd put them next. If you've presented at a major conference then that is next. If you have other publications or presentations outside your organisation I'd put them next, including posters. Then I'd put work that has been published or presented which you've been a significant contributor towards, even if your name is not on it. Then I'd put internal disemmination such as documents or events internal to your employing organisation or academic institution (eg a service user leaflet, or a presentation at a student conference, or training of other staff).

However the key is to put in the best bits and not everything you can possibly think of. If you've got a book chapter and 10 journal articles then you don't need to mention your contribution to something presented at a student conference. If you have presented something at a conference yourself and then other members of the service have presented it elsewhere I'd not make a separate entry about contributing to the second presentation. As with anything you need to pick out the examples that show your skills best, and your ability to be concise and selective. You'll need to use this when writing up letters and reports as a CP - picking out the most salient ideas and examples, rather than regurgitating the entire assessment.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Milly

Post by Milly » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:48 pm

I was a bit worried about this section as I haven't contributed to anything like a journal article/book chapter. But I have done various research summaries for my team and fact sheets on mental health for social workers as well as writing all of the information booklets on our treatment programme. All of these are internal though, are they worth including?

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:47 am

Milly - absolutely. When I applied, I put down some internal consultation work I had done and an internal presentation, so what you mention is entirely relevant :) and don't worry too much about not having publications!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

log300

Post by log300 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:41 am

Thanks so much everyone, especially your thorough response Miriam - it's a real help! I honestly never thought to put down the internal work I'd done and so my application form has always looked very sparse in that area with my one paper in it! Fingers crossed this'll be the boost my form needs to get me some good intefviews! :D
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans...

bitoffluff

Post by bitoffluff » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:47 pm

I was wondering about this too. I have not had anything published or presented at any conferences. However during my degree I voluntarily completed a short research project for a mental health charity for which I wrote a short report and it was published on the website as part of a campaign - it doesn't have my name on it though. Would it be okay to mention this? I hate leaving sections blank. Thanks for any help.

noodle

Post by noodle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:19 pm

If I wanted to reference a report that I did as part of some consultancy work, would I do it like this?:

Noodle(2001) An evaluation of the noodlyness of noodles. Centre for Noodle Studies.

:lol:

Toria

Post by Toria » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:39 am

noodle wrote:Centre for Noodle Studies.
I NEED to work there!

I think that reference looks right, but I don't have my APA bible on me so can't be 100%. Good luck :)
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn

mungle

Post by mungle » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:50 am

Hi Noodle, That's how I wrote it - except without the fabulous noodleness. :D

bitoffluff

Post by bitoffluff » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm quite confused by this section. What counts as your "work"? For example, I have no publications but I have assisted on some larger scale projects which have resulted in publications but I was only involved at a very basic level and had nothing to do with any of the actual research. And do more casual publications on websites (not peer-reviewed) resulting from some research I have personally done count?

CurlyHair
Team Member

Post by CurlyHair » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:35 pm

I am counting some factsheets on different areas of mental health which have been published online for a voluntary sector organization, but not published in a peer reviewed journal. It is still dissemination of my work, and some is related to my MSc so I think it counts! Am also including training courses I have written/delivered and student publications. Basically things I have been responsible for researching/writing.

I think they are trying to get at what you have had input into, unless I have it horribly wrong!

Phatoss

Post by Phatoss » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:14 am

Thanks for the tips in this section everyone. Didn't really view some of what I did as "dissemination" before this! I do have one other question though, should this be reflective or descriptive?

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:03 am

Brief and factual.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Shazzy

Post by Shazzy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:51 am

Interesting...

So, say if I presented findings of ongoing research within the service I work for, would that count?

Also, if I sort of trained (not really trained, more like meetings) about the outcome measures and how they were to be used...does that count?