Publication/dissemination section of application

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
gelbpaint

Re: Publication/dissemination section of application

Post by gelbpaint » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi everyone,

This may be a silly question, but when writing up this section do we just list the references, or do we talk a little about it? For example, i was involved in some research in which my role focused on collecting data and analysing the results. This research was later disseminated at conference but i am not a named author. Should I explain this? Similarly i am authored on another research project which went to conference, however I was not the one presenting it...

Any ideas you have will be very much appreciated :-)

Thanks
Gelb

RIS

Post by RIS » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi all,

I have some more pretty basic questions about this section :)

Due to the limited space for this section is it ok to shorten the author list (i.e. ris., et al. (2012). blah.) instead of listing all authors? I guess I'm in two minds on this - I'm second author on a couple of things and therefore my name wouldn't necessarily appear if I did this. Or is it allowable (although not APA style) to cite the first author and also myself? Or potentially just myself with 2nd author in brackets afterwards (i.e. ris (2nd author) et al. 2012. blah.)?

Also does anyone have any opinions on whether it is better to cite submitted and currently responding to reviewers (but not accepted) journal articles or already presented conference posters?

Full references take up a lot of space :(

Thanks for your time and I hope you're all enjoying the process!

CatBells

Post by CatBells » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 pm

RIS wrote:Due to the limited space for this section is it ok to shorten the author list (i.e. ris., et al. (2012). blah.) instead of listing all authors? I guess I'm in two minds on this - I'm second author on a couple of things and therefore my name wouldn't necessarily appear if I did this. Or is it allowable (although not APA style) to cite the first author and also myself? Or potentially just myself with 2nd author in brackets afterwards (i.e. ris (2nd author) et al. 2012. blah.)?

Also does anyone have any opinions on whether it is better to cite submitted and currently responding to reviewers (but not accepted) journal articles or already presented conference posters?
Last year I wrote about a paper that had been submitted and not yet accepted, and two papers that we were in the process of writing up but had not yet been submitted (amongst a few other bits and pieces).

Don't wind yourself up about it! I'm not sure that these little details really matter that much, and although there is specific criteria to meet, the selecter's (I assume) will be looking at whether you seem like you are a good candidate overall, and have the relevant skills to offer.

bitoffluff

Post by bitoffluff » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:29 pm

What about if you have written your own self-help/worksheets to give to patients in therapy? Is that dissemination or does that not count?!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:06 pm

RIS wrote:Hi all,

Due to the limited space for this section is it ok to shorten the author list (i.e. ris., et al. (2012). blah.) instead of listing all authors? I guess I'm in two minds on this - I'm second author on a couple of things and therefore my name wouldn't necessarily appear if I did this. Or is it allowable (although not APA style) to cite the first author and also myself? Or potentially just myself with 2nd author in brackets afterwards (i.e. ris (2nd author) et al. 2012. blah.)?

For second author of a long list I'd write:
Other, Ris, et al (2010) title of papers determines clinical psychology success, journal of made up psychology
I'd put a submitted paper on if you've got other conference presentations, and an agreed presentation on if you've got no presentations but other published papers.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

RIS

Post by RIS » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:04 pm

miriam wrote:
RIS wrote:Hi all,

For second author of a long list I'd write:
Other, Ris, et al (2010) title of papers determines clinical psychology success, journal of made up psychology
I'd put a submitted paper on if you've got other conference presentations, and an agreed presentation on if you've got no presentations but other published papers.
Thanks CatBells and Miriam - good advice from both of you.

evat

Post by evat » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi Miriam,

I noticed in one of your email responses you mentioned that training may be inlcuded in the disseminiation section-can I please ask you-is that even if the training material does not relate to a publication of seom descript?

Also can I check if one has presented the same paper at different forums-should one of these be recorded or is it acceptable to note something along the lines of 'presented at X conference, June 2010 and Y conference, March 2011'. What do people think?

scriddle

publication/dissemination section

Post by scriddle » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi,
I've been browsing this site for years, but as it's my first time applying I feel it's time to start becoming an active member!

For the publication/dissemination section of the application form, is it relevant to put teaching experiences here? For example, I developed a task that I trained undergrad students in so they could use it in their dissertation... would that go in this section?

Thanks

Randall

Re: publication/dissemination section

Post by Randall » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:04 pm

scriddle wrote:Hi,
For the publication/dissemination section of the application form, is it relevant to put teaching experiences here? For example, I developed a task that I trained undergrad students in so they could use it in their dissertation... would that go in this section?

Thanks
Sounds applicable to me! :cyclops:

CBTer

Help! details of any publications/dissemination from work.

Post by CBTer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi All

I am struggling with the part of the form asking for details of any publications/dissemination from work.
Back in 2004/2005 I worked as a Project Worker which involved data collection and analysis but since then my experience has been solely clinical.
What on earth do I put in this section?
I see from the people who have got onto the course that they either have RA experience or a MRes.

nlg

Post by nlg » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi CBTer,

I've never applied but just from reading over this thread I saw this
miriam wrote: definitely better to leave blanks than to fill gaps with things that are not relevant or don't directly address the question. You need to show you can sift out the salient stuff.
So if you haven't had any publication/dissemination as a result your work don't try to grasp at straws and put irrelevant information in this section because you're worried about leaving it blank.

Also I’m not sure how true your comment about needing an MRes or research experience to get on the course.

CBTer

Post by CBTer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:32 am

It was a comment that Bath made

bitoffluff

Post by bitoffluff » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Just to make sure I've got this right - do we just list the references for our work? Is it okay to write a little bit about it or is it best just to keep it citing the reference for the work?

Many thanks for any help!

gelbpaint

Post by gelbpaint » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:55 am

HI bitoffluff,

I don't think there is a set way to write in this part of the form. Other's have said different things about it, either to just give the citation or to also add a BRIEF description of what you did.

I didn't really know what to do and although I wanted to write about it I held back and just put the citation - mine were for conferences though, so I imagine if it was for a booklet or something you put together you might need to explain it a bit more. I don't think there is a right or wrong way - whichever one you feel most comfortable doing. The clinical progress thread mentions people that did one or the other for this section!

Hope that helps.

Randall

Post by Randall » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:48 pm

bitoffluff wrote:What about if you have written your own self-help/worksheets to give to patients in therapy? Is that dissemination or does that not count?!

Hmmm....You have just reminded me that I helped put together the self-help booklet for Anxiety whilst with IAPT...But I was quite happy to think I had finished...so now I have some decisive contemplation to ponder upon over the next few days...to include, or not to include...!? :eye: