The multiple-timers thread

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
sallycat

Re: The multiple-timers thread

Post by sallycat » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:48 pm

I'm feeling a bit like that myself.

The whole thing has, if I'm going to be honest, been rather frustrating for me. I was 19 or 20 when I set my sights on becoming a CP; I graduated the following year aged 21. That was in 2003. I'm now 30, and have had the grand total of one interview, although I do have another coming up next month at Salomon's.

I've always had a very stubborn and determined attitude, and if I want something then I will have it, but now problems have started cropping up and I've had to take a step back and think hard about the whole thing. Firstly, I want to start having children in the next few years. OK, no biggie; I'm sure I can work around that. But it's quite daunting thinking about launching a new career and juggling it around childcare at the same time. Secondly, changes in my lifestyle like saving up to buy a house with my partner mean that I've had to take a better-paid job than an AP post - still in mental health, but not directly psychology-related. I simply can't afford to go back to an AP post right now, and feel that I have to work twice as hard to stay in the loop with current psychological research and stuff, as I can't just absorb things at work any more. Even if I got onto training, I'd have to take a pay cut of over 15%. By the way, I don't really like my job and always saw it as a stepping stone, but now it's quite hard to see where I can go next. Thirdly, my degree and AP experience are becoming more and more dated. Because of all this I think this year is going to have to be my last shot - so I had jolly well better not mess up that interview like I did last year - I was dreadful :lol:

However, I'm staying cheerful for now :D At least I do have an interview this year and I'm going to give it my best shot. In my opinion, there is absolutely no point in dwelling on problems, potential problems and past failures, which I had had a tendency to do in the past. By all means, take on board any feedback you've received from previous interviews, improve the areas you need to improve in and take time to reflect on how far you have come and how much you have learned (so important!) but try and keep your focus on the present, not the past. You don't want to think about failure when you're trying to build up your confidence.

It is nice to know that others have shared your difficult experiences and have advice to offer, however, so thank you all for sharing.

Angels

Post by Angels » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:17 am

It's SO helpful to read about other people's experiences. I think sometimes this process can feel very lonely and disheartening when everyone else that you know is 'moving on' except from you. It makes you question whether you're suited to this profession or whether you're just banging your head against a wall!

This is my third time applying. I actually took a break after my second time because I decided that it wasn't worth it. I'd had some negative experiences due to the 'difference' I brought to some of the teams that I worked within and it just felt like the system didn't really want me. Of course, this was also coupled with feelings of 'maybe I'm just not good enough'. Soooo I started training in systemic therapy for two years, thinking it was the end of the clinical psych route for me whilst still working in dif areas of mental health. Over those two years, systemic thinking really helped me to deconstruct my experiences and make sense of them. I came to the conclusion, that actually it's not me, rather the system that was making me feel this way. This was actually very liberating as it enabled me to see the bigger picture. It makes me wonder about how our clients must sometimes feel when they're stuck in vicious cycles governed by lots of bureaucracy.

Anyhows, this year I have one interview and one reserve interview. I feel a lot calmer about the whole process and the 'worry/panic/frustration' just isn't there! Yes, I want to get on, but if I don't, life will still carry on...my supervisor gave me the best advise which was 'our destinations might be the same, but our journeys are very different'. So, enjoy the journey people! Good luck to all the multiple-timers - u deserve to get on (plus, it's their loss if you don't!) :D 8)

diliette

Post by diliette » Wed May 02, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi Folks

Just to say I got on to the course with my 6th application. I can't remember (?have deliberately tried to forget) all the details but did have some interviews/reserve interview places before this from 2nd or 3rd application onwards. I'm not sure if I'd have carried on applying if i hadn't got on, or if I did how many more times I'd have been willing to put myself through the process. I know it would have been really hard to step off the CP path not only because I'd travelled so far down it (and been on it for so long) but also because of other people's investment in it - I actually think my mum was more pleased than me when I got on!!! Also, the thing about taking the scenic route to any destination is that you tend to see more interesting things and meet more interesting people on the way than you would by taking a more direct route to the same place.

Sending good luck to all the 3+ers
J.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Wed May 02, 2012 2:52 pm

Very cheering news! Congratulations many times over, and hoping you pack six years worth of celebrations in this weekend!
:D
Fail, fail again, fail better.

sallycat

Post by sallycat » Thu May 03, 2012 8:47 am

Well done you! :D I'll be able to tell you by the end of this week whether my 4th application has been successful...

just looking

Post by just looking » Fri May 04, 2012 11:21 am

Huge, massive, enormous congratulations to workingmama! I'm very pleased for you, and anyone else who graduates from this thread. Diliette, did you get on this year? Thank you for sharing.

Well done well done well done all of you. So there is always hope!

I think I might alter my signature now..

rennyren63

Post by rennyren63 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:18 pm

sallycat wrote:The whole thing has, if I'm going to be honest, been rather frustrating for me. I was 19 or 20 when I set my sights on becoming a CP; I graduated the following year aged 21. That was in 2003. I'm now 30, and have had the grand total of one interview, although I do have another coming up next month at Salomon's.
Sallycat, I hope you receive good news from Salomon's soon. I am a fellow 2003 graduate with a measly amount of interviews to my name. I also only have one interview this year. So just wanted to say, from one determined 30 year old to another, I really hope its good news xx

ElizabethB

Post by ElizabethB » Mon May 07, 2012 8:55 am

rennyren63 wrote:
sallycat wrote:The whole thing has, if I'm going to be honest, been rather frustrating for me. I was 19 or 20 when I set my sights on becoming a CP; I graduated the following year aged 21. That was in 2003. I'm now 30, and have had the grand total of one interview, although I do have another coming up next month at Salomon's.
Sallycat, I hope you receive good news from Salomon's soon. I am a fellow 2003 graduate with a measly amount of interviews to my name. I also only have one interview this year. So just wanted to say, from one determined 30 year old to another, I really hope its good news xx
This looks familiar! I graduated in 2003 as well, but I never made it to the interview stage for the DClinPsy after three rounds of applications :oops: . Since moved onto other things.....

Best of luck :)
"I am different, not less."—Temple Grandin
'A door opened and I went through it!' Temple Grandin
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

sallycat

Post by sallycat » Mon May 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Thank you so much rennyren :) Sadly, it wasn't good news, and I think that's it for me and CP - I'm going to have to move on to other things now. The thing is, all my experience so far has been geared towards CP and everything else I would want to do requires further study, which I can't afford. So I'm in a rather intense "re-evaluating my life" period right now...Very good luck with your interview - I hope you get exactly what you want 8)

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Tue May 08, 2012 11:44 am

The thing is, all my experience so far has been geared towards CP and everything else I would want to do requires further study, which I can't afford.
I think its important to flag up that CP related experience can be valued by employers beyond the clinical setting. From personal experience I know people have used their CP related experience to get jobs at charities, NHS management, education, corporate graduate schemes and a range of quantitative or people centered jobs.

I think the CP trail can have a blinkering effect on people and stops them seeing either what else they can transfer their experiences to, and also undermines their appraisal of their sense of their abilities and skills. Maybe a future thread or Livechat topic?

sallycat

Post by sallycat » Tue May 08, 2012 11:58 am

I totally agree. The thing is, I don't want to work in any of those areas :roll: In fact, I already do, and I don't like it at all! I'm not denying that the experience and qualifications are all very valuable, but they will need stuff added to them if I'm to do anything I REALLY want to do. My fault for being so picky I suppose :lol:

rennyren63

Post by rennyren63 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:53 pm

Have you thought about trianing in a specific therapy Sallycat? Ive been thinking about training to be a CBT therapist, im in negotiations with my employer at the moment - begging for some funding! It's very expensive otherwise! My southampton interview is next week, but as always, im starting to feel I need a plan B. getting very nervous now!

sallycat

Post by sallycat » Fri May 25, 2012 12:59 pm

I don't have the money, sadly, and my employers would never release me for that. I'd really like to be a speech and language therapist, so I'm going to look into the possibility of full-time study in a couple of years' time.

Good luck at Southampton! :D

ILikeBrains

Post by ILikeBrains » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:55 pm

I'm a long time lurker of this site and have found the advice and opinions on here to be thought provoking and enlightening. Although I haven't joined in, I love seeing the colours change for people on the progress thread! I'm not sure why I've taken so long to take the plunge and post (I had wanted to post on this particular thread sometime ago) but I kept putting it off....I guess because I wanted to post something positive!

However, 3 applications in.........

2010: 1 interview (from reserve list) > nothing (I kind of viewed this as a practise go, as I was still studying)

2011: 1 place on reserve list for interview > nothing

2012: 3 interviews (2 from reserve) > 1 reserve for place (position on list not known), 1 "reserve pool" place, 1 rejection

I have several conflicting thoughts about the whole process this year. Part of me wants to continue trying as I know this is the job for me and I think I would always have that feeling of "what if?" if I stopped now, I also feel that I'm a bit further on than in previous years. The other (and currently larger) part is feeling frustrated and stuck, and also just a bit cross that I can't seem to articulate adequately what's in my head when it matters.

At times I've had feelings of inadequecy during the silly season; I did a conversion course MSc (YES you can get an interview with a conversion degree, if anyone out there is in doubt!) and have worked within mental health services for the last 4 years but still think of myself as "ex-dressmaker" rapidly approaching 40 rather than potential CP. I'm so pleased that I made it onto a reserve list but am glad that 15th June is nearly upon us and those of us in suspense will know one way or the other.

So the question is, do I apply for a 4th time? I've learnt so much this year, from my current role, to writing the form and finally from going through 3 very different interview days. However, I've lost valuable time with my partner, family and friends, and am conscious that I will need to make a decision about having my own family quite soon. I know that I should feel encouraged by a reserve place but am aware that I will need to do something else to make my form different for next year (there are no guarantees that I will get any interviews next year). I don't have any more funds left for post-grad study nor can I afford to do anymore voluntary posts (i've not had any success in even getting an interview for any AP post).....so I'm stuck and left wondering how I can improve my interview reponses so that I make the cut (feedback received has said that my answers are too narrow, frustrating as when talking to friends, colleagues, in my head I'm reflective etc.). I'm also feeling frustrated at the lack of career progression from where I am now, and that I am limited in the posts I can apply for because I don't have a core professional qualification despite being told by those recruiting that they think I would be capable.

Anyway, It's been so great to read that there are others out there with multiple applications to their names and a comfort knowing that I'm not the only one who feels that at times they are knocking at a really big heavy door!!

Good luck to anyone else that is waiting on reserve and to anyone thinking of applying for the first or tenth time next year.

Gbola

Post by Gbola » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:46 pm

hi fellow multiple-timers! I have also been on this journey for a long time and have just found out that after four years of trying, i have finally got a place:

2009: one interview- rejection, one reserve interview- i declined! I was not ready and I really wish I hadn't applied so early. My supervisor convinced me to apply and it was a confidence boost that I got an interview, but I should never have applied.

2010: one interview to high reserve place, one reserve interview to interview to low reserve place

2011: no interviews! which was really gutting after getting so close the year before. But it was a poor and rushed application

2012: one interview- to rejection, one interview to reserve and then to a place!!!

In hindsight I think I started applying too early. I decided that this would be my last time applying, purely because it was taking it's toll on me and I'm not sure how much more I could have taken. The more times I applied the more I built up the pressure. I have my fingers crossed for all of you who decide to apply again and also for those who have decided to seek alternative careers- best of luck! x