Lancaster uni written test 2013

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
snapej

Post by snapej »

Hi all,

Just had an email inviting me to the written test at Lancaster on the 26th Feb (yay). Anyone else? Also, any advice on how to prepare? I have found the past questions here: http://www.lancs.ac.uk/shm/study/doctor ... n_Task.php and printed these but i've never applied before so have no idea how else i can prepare for the exam. Should i research any specific topics?

Thanks,
Jess.
anna88

Re: Lancaster uni written test 2013

Post by anna88 »

Hey,

I'll be there as a first timer too!! I recently attended an assistants meeting where some trainees presented about the Lancaster selection process. These were their tips for the written test:

Practise the past papers: this is the best way to get a feel for what they are asking and what 250 words ‘looks like’. You will be expected to roughly know (or count) how many words you have written, if it looks largely over they will count.

Do not try to demonstrate wider knowledge, only work with the information given.

Focus on writing a structured, coherent piece. Aim for a beginning, middle and conclusion. Always try to make a decision, avoid sitting on the fence.

Revising some basic stats will be useful.

Ensure spelling and grammar are correct.

Look at past papers for examples and often the same questions will be asked and likely to be asked again (t-tests)
You do not need to use ALL the abstracts given to you, some people get through using 3/6, others use all of them. In the past one abstract has a been a ‘red herring’ which is not actually directly linked to question (but this is unusual)
ten test:

Hope that helps. x
Will
Team Member

Post by Will »

Nice to see that someone was listening :D Good luck with the exam!
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis
Boatgirl

Post by Boatgirl »

Hey!
I agree with the advice given above. I passed the test last year, although didn't get on the course. Can't remember a red herring. What worries me slightly is that this year the test is hand written. Hand written! For the sins! I type much faster than I write, and you can't just delete what you've written, you have to write a draft, in which case write very quickly, or get it right the first time...
ough.
A fact of life: after Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says: W T F...
nikkila

Post by nikkila »

Thank you for the advice anna88, thats really helpful. Boatgirl> re: this is what worries me also im questioning wether it is worth me doing it! as i didnt get an interview last year and just when i get my head round it, they chage it to hand written!! i really dont understand why they would do this, people struggle with the time and word count as it is!! I thought it was an error had to phone to double check!!! :oops: :cry:
sarahg

Post by sarahg »

Don't worry, everyone will be in the same boat :) Just practise trying to keep your writing short and concise.
nikkila

Post by nikkila »

Awwh thank you, i will do :-)
parisienne

Post by parisienne »

Hi all,

Thanks for the tips on the Lancaster questions, its nice to know that there is a method of sorts to success.

I was told in an email about this additional test which doesn't affect our entrance that is being trialled by computer, has anyone else had that? I don't think its compulsory but it sounded like to me that they are working out if its a reliable indicator and comparing with application success? With a view to having a different test?

P
Boatgirl

Post by Boatgirl »

parisienne wrote:Hi all,

Thanks for the tips on the Lancaster questions, its nice to know that there is a method of sorts to success.

I was told in an email about this additional test which doesn't affect our entrance that is being trialled by computer, has anyone else had that? I don't think its compulsory but it sounded like to me that they are working out if its a reliable indicator and comparing with application success? With a view to having a different test?

P
Hey,
I've just done this test and I think it's quite good in itself but not sure how it's supposed to predict application success. I wonder if we could find out later this year :D I also wonder what theory underpins the motivation to trial it.

Boatgirl
Last edited by Boatgirl on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenJMan
Team Member

Post by BenJMan »

Boatgirl wrote: not sure how it's supposed to predict application success
I suspect that is exactly what they want to find out. If it does in fact predict application success :)
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.
Boatgirl

Post by Boatgirl »

I've just realized, I hope I didn't breach any rules regarding sharing information about selection tests. All candidates got this e-mail and Lancaster tends to be quite open about their selection procedures, so I hope it's ok. However, I shall shut up about it now just in case.
BenJMan
Team Member

Post by BenJMan »

No no, the additional test has NOTHING to do with selection this year, therefore no need for it to be considered as anything confidential.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.
Bambis

Post by Bambis »

How do you know its hand written? I thought it was on a computer?!
Bambis

Post by Bambis »

I've just found the answer to my question...noooo!
Boatgirl

Post by Boatgirl »

BenJMan wrote:
Boatgirl wrote: not sure how it's supposed to predict application success
I suspect that is exactly what they want to find out. If it does in fact predict application success :)
I guess I wasn't clear; what I meant was that I assume somebody had a rationale and a hypothesis for this exercise, so I'm curious about it :)