The Progress Thread for 2013 Applications

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
playdough

Re: The Progress Thread for 2013 Applications

Post by playdough » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:44 pm

scriddle wrote:Hey everyone....

I've stalked for ages but never written on here... I'm currently and undergrad, so this is my first time applying. And am in an insane state of shock (shaking all over the place) that I don't know what to do right now...

UEA

BATH (!!!!!!!!!!)
Hi scriddle, big congratulations on your interview! Do you mind if I ask what your academics/experience is? I'm trying to figure out whether my good (but most likely average) academics were a big factor in Bath and I'm curious as to how someone who hasn't graduated yet has got an interview :) I hope you celebrate tonight!
cathkidston wrote:Hi!

Are your bath emails generic or personalised??? I haven't heard from them yet and going a bit mad refreshing!!
They are personalised, which I have to say I really appreciated! So they're probably still going through the alphabet, I'm in the first half of it.

gez1809

Post by gez1809 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:45 pm

Are your bath emails generic or personalised??? I haven't heard from them yet and going a bit mad refreshing!!
Mine is addressed to me by name but the rest sounds very generic.

scriddle

Post by scriddle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:10 pm

playdough wrote:
scriddle wrote:Hey everyone....

I've stalked for ages but never written on here... I'm currently and undergrad, so this is my first time applying. And am in an insane state of shock (shaking all over the place) that I don't know what to do right now...

UEA

BATH (!!!!!!!!!!)
Hi scriddle, big congratulations on your interview! Do you mind if I ask what your academics/experience is? I'm trying to figure out whether my good (but most likely average) academics were a big factor in Bath and I'm curious as to how someone who hasn't graduated yet has got an interview :) I hope you celebrate tonight!

They are personalised, which I have to say I really appreciated! So they're probably still going through the alphabet, I'm in the first half of it.

I can't work out how to only quote a small bit of your text :s anyway...

I have A's at Alevel and am predicted a first for my undergrad (although not completed yet). Have done 6 RA positions and been a support worker in a variety of mental health settings. Have currently got an assistant position, although this started in Jan, so wasn't on the applicaiton form. And about to present at a coference next week (eek). I think what helped me was that I've gone beyond my undergrad degree, if I had applied after graduation I don't think I would have got an interview because my experience wouldn't have been enough.

Frankbutcher

Post by Frankbutcher » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Still waiting on Bath. Must admit I will be annoyed if I don't get an interview when they are offering them to people who haven't even got a degree yet! Obvs that person must be delighted and fair play - but then it's not fair play really is it?

oldlady

Post by oldlady » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:19 pm

It might be worth looking in your junk - that's where my rejection was!

I thought I had a chance at Bath too - but it was not to be...

blue86

Post by blue86 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:29 pm

Frankbutcher wrote:Still waiting on Bath. Must admit I will be annoyed if I don't get an interview when they are offering them to people who haven't even got a degree yet! Obvs that person must be delighted and fair play - but then it's not fair play really is it?
I think all of us reds are quite disappointed about Bath - but I do think it's fair play. It was interesting to hear someone still in undergrad got an interview, but after hearing about how driven that student is - both academically and clinically, I think that he/she fully deserved it. If I was a member of the committee, and saw an applicant so competitive, and probably with a great form, I would probably invite her to interview as well. I think that Bath also does have a reputation of inviting people still in their undergrad for interviews, and it might not be such a bad idea as people think. If the applicant really proves themselves during interviews, I wish them best of luck on their road to becoming a CP :)
P.S. - it might be a good idea to check your spam folder, since junk filters have become quite aggressive lately.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Frankbutcher wrote:Still waiting on Bath. Must admit I will be annoyed if I don't get an interview when they are offering them to people who haven't even got a degree yet! Obvs that person must be delighted and fair play - but then it's not fair play really is it?
It really is fair play. Someone who has not yet got their undergrad degree will be an absolutely outstanding candidate in ALL other areas of their form, so it really is very very fair indeed. Well done that person for writing an excellent form and getting themselves together enough to have clinical experience at that stage. I trained with two people who had both got onto training straight from their sandwich undergrads. Both were excellent trainees and are now excellent clinical psychologists. It is an anxiety provoking time of year but there is no need to be dismissive, denigrating, or rude about the successes of others.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

candycane86

Post by candycane86 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:38 pm

/.
Last edited by candycane86 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cathkidston

Post by cathkidston » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:42 pm

Anyone else not heard from Bath yet??? I've had nothing and it is not in my junk either :( thanks

Sangreal

Post by Sangreal » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:09 pm

If you check above your post, Scriddle replied - not the typical 'gcse - alevel - undergrad degree' type undergraduate - 6 RA positions (assuming 6 or 12 month contracts) probably puts them with a lot more clinical experience than most of the other applicants - not everyone does a degree as soon as they're 18!! :P . As a word of caution, it's probably also not too good an idea to slate course centres and their decisions on a public forum!
Last edited by Sangreal on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worrying is like a rocking chair - it gives you something to do, but ultimately gets you nowhere.

Anne26

Post by Anne26 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:10 pm

scriddle wrote:I have A's at Alevel and am predicted a first for my undergrad (although not completed yet). Have done 6 RA positions and been a support worker in a variety of mental health settings. Have currently got an assistant position, although this started in Jan, so wasn't on the applicaiton form. And about to present at a coference next week (eek). I think what helped me was that I've gone beyond my undergrad degree, if I had applied after graduation I don't think I would have got an interview because my experience wouldn't have been enough.
I don't usually post on here, but I must say doing all that before finishing your undergrad and still managing to get good grades is very impressive. I can totally see why you got an interview, you really deserve it! I think its wrong of anyone to say any different. Well done :)

ktbird

Post by ktbird » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:23 pm

scriddle wrote:I have A's at Alevel and am predicted a first for my undergrad (although not completed yet). Have done 6 RA positions and been a support worker in a variety of mental health settings. Have currently got an assistant position, although this started in Jan, so wasn't on the applicaiton form. And about to present at a coference next week (eek). I think what helped me was that I've gone beyond my undergrad degree, if I had applied after graduation I don't think I would have got an interview because my experience wouldn't have been enough.
Wow scriddle :) you've packed so much in! You deserve your Bath interview - I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for you that you get offered a place... although judging by your oodles of experience you won't need my fingers crossed :)

Don't sell yourself short - you have such awesome experience (plus the AP position that wasn't even on your form) I'm willing to bet the Bath course would interview you even if you'd graduated.

Sangreal

Post by Sangreal » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Exeter
UCL
Bath
(email today) - bit disappointed as I did my MSc at Bath which I had hoped would give me an edge..!!
Southampton
Worrying is like a rocking chair - it gives you something to do, but ultimately gets you nowhere.

Laurajayne25

Post by Laurajayne25 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:29 pm

I was a bit unsure if to post this but.....

Manchester
Liverpool
Lancaster
Leeds

I am very pleased with Manchester as even though it isn't an interview it is still the furthest I have got with my application (its my third year applying). Im getting a little anxious about the others now though and obsessively checking emails/clearing house website! I am pleased at least everyone will know soon. :D Good luck all!

Frankbutcher

Post by Frankbutcher » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:44 pm

I have replied but it hasn't got through - in short, I said pardon my ignorance as I was under the impression in order to meet the minimum criteria candidates had to have a degree. I am clearly wrong. Also, I genuinely send good luck to any candidate who has an interview, including undergrads as obviously they have done very well. I just find this process in general an unlevel playing field and by no means am I 'slating' course centres. They can and do pick who they choose. I just feel sorry for people who are not successful who have invested much time, effort and money into trying to access the doctorate, and the process itself at times feels, although I'm sure it isn't, very random. This in turn causes what I believe to be unnecessary strain for many people. Again, good luck to all green - you've done well.