The Progress Thread for 2013 Applications

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
scriddle

Re: The Progress Thread for 2013 Applications

Post by scriddle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Thank you for the support. I can see how it would be very frustrating seeing people with less experience get onto the course - these things are very unpredictable! But I wish everyone luck!

Cardiff7

Post by Cardiff7 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Courses do require you have a degree and any offer will be provisional on the basis that the candidates pass their degree. I think some courses specify that candidates who haven't yet completed their undergraduate degree won't be considered, so if Bath didn't have that specification and candidates meet all their criteria then the interview offer is very fair indeed.
It is quite a nerve wracking process but its Friday so time to relax :-) hope you all have a lovely weekend

ChinChinar

Post by ChinChinar » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:31 am

First time applicant and I'm absolutely bricking hearing back from the (last two) universities i applied to:

I applied to:
Salomon CCCU
Herts
Royal Holloway
IoP

Before hearing back from Salomons I knew i had no chance as i completely messed up the test (I was very disappointed in myself!). And my gut instinct was correct because I received my rejection email on Wednesday. I also received my rejection email from IoP on Tuesday.

I'm guessing that no one else has heard back from either of Herts or Royal Holloway?

moony

Post by moony » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:56 am

All quiet on the RoHo front. ;) I think they'll be one of the last to let us know.

SO glad this is the last week of waiting. Will be good to finally be able to start making plans for next year, one way or the other. Fingers crossed!
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

Sianellen

Post by Sianellen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:25 am

Figured I would update this (finally!)
In order of preference:
Surrey
Newcastle
Herts
UEA

I'm pretty gutted about Surrey as I thought I did alright on the test, but I've already learnt so much from this years process and know what I need to do for next year. It's just hard when those around you don't understand how it works...

Sian

X

Randall

Post by Randall » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:39 am

No news from Birmingham in the post...only Virgin media sending their 11th appeal for costume this year! Lol

CupcakeFairy

Post by CupcakeFairy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:17 pm

It's the weekend,so at least two days of relaxing before Mondays nerves kick in again. Next week is going to be a week of edginess. Fingers crossed for those who haven't heard, and sorry to all those with reds. Keep on keeping on.x

steve79

Post by steve79 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Well done to those with green and orange, commiserations to those with red. I know it is a really difficult time (I remember 2008) but please try to implement your anxiety management skills that most of you do with service users.

As I am now on the other side of the doctorate it does amaze me how psychological (and physical in some cases) this affects people. The course is NOT the holy grail! If you really want it then persistence is key!

Good luck but do not make yourself unwell with something that in my opinion is not the world!

best wishes
Steve :)

Mogs84

Post by Mogs84 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:30 pm

steve79 wrote:As I am now on the other side of the doctorate it does amaze me how psychological (and physical in some cases) this affects people. The course is NOT the holy grail! If you really want it then persistence is key!

Good luck but do not make yourself unwell with something that in my opinion is not the world!
Steve this is so so true. At 28, this is the third time I have applied now. The first year I was offered interviews at Leeds and Liverpool and I was so nervous I cancelled both! 2 years ago I had Liverpool and Oxford...turned up-messed up, again because of nerves. This year so far:

Manchester
Liverpool
Leeds
East London

After taking time out from applying last year and going on an amazing adventure (which would never have had happened had I been offered a place), I have learnt so much about myself. I now feel I have the maturity to deal with the course but if I dont get on this year then life just might offer me some other wonderful thing! Like Steve said it's not "the World". There is so much out there. Besides I have known people that have been offered places at 40. Advice to all the reds, this might just not be the right time but dont give up.

Good luck to all....and try to enjoy your weekend.

saralou2611

Post by saralou2611 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Going to be a nerve racking week as still waiting to hear back from 3 unis! Quite excited too to wait for their answers, first time applying though so who knows what answers I will get

Manchester
Liverpool
Leeds
Lancaster

Congrats all greens so far. By this time next week we shall all hopefully know what is going on :)

agataa

Post by agataa » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Another rejection, this time from IoP, I haven't seen many greens for Iop in the thread - maybe they don't invite pepole from the forum! :lol: Still waiting for UEL! I hope they will send this letters on Monday I would really like to know nowww!

Congratulations to all greens and good luck on your interviews. Also, good luck next year for all the reds!

UCL
Oxford
IoP
UEL

moony

Post by moony » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:32 pm

Mogs84 wrote:
After taking time out from applying last year and going on an amazing adventure (which would never have had happened had I been offered a place), I have learnt so much about myself. I now feel I have the maturity to deal with the course but if I dont get on this year then life just might offer me some other wonderful thing! Like Steve said it's not "the World". There is so much out there. Besides I have known people that have been offered places at 40. Advice to all the reds, this might just not be the right time but dont give up.

Good luck to all....and try to enjoy your weekend.
Have to say, I couldn't agree more. I applied back in 2009, fresh faced and newly graduated. I was over confident in all my voluntary work and in my heart of hearts (though I'd never admit it) at least thought I'd get an interview. Needless to say it was four straight no's.

In the end I ended up living in Boston, where I worked in learning disabilities / mental health for nearly three years. I made friends for life, travelled across America, and even got an internship in a psych lab at Harvard. I'd so much rather have done all those things than have got straight onto the doctorate like I'd planned at the time. I feel like by moving there, completely by myself I ended up learning way more than I could have otherwise.

Thanks for the perspective. It's tough to hear at this time of year I think, but there is so much more to the world than training in clinical psychology.

I'm going to try and remind myself of this when I start getting as freaked out as I have been. :)
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

agataa

Post by agataa » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:54 pm

I fully agree with what moony says, that it's best get as much out of what experiences life brings to you rather than getting disheartened just because you don't get on at first. And that's exactly what I will try to do if I don't get on this year.

On the other hand, I only just graduated last year with 7 months honorary AP expeirence which was part of my course (and bits of other research experience) and I did get a UCL interview this year. I am shocked by it, because I did not expect this at all, and having 4 reds would be something that I thought I'd be posting on the forum.

So despite there is always time, especially for those of us who don't have much experience, I know a lot of people who don't apply just because they don't believe they can get on because of all the stories they've heard about pepole having years of experience. And I am so happy to break this cycle a bit (well I'm sure I'm not the only one) because a lot of pepole I worked with, professors etc. discouraged me from applying so quickly because they didn't want me to get disappointed and told me "there is no chance". So I think if that's really something you want to do - go for it, if you don't get it now just be persistent, because although I can't say it is my experience yet, it looks like the people who do get on are the ones who don't give up.

Mogs84

Post by Mogs84 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:27 pm

moony wrote:I'm going to try and remind myself of this when I start getting as freaked out as I have been. :)
Thanks Moony. I'm right behind you with this!

patrycja

Post by patrycja » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Those thoughts do cheer me up so thanks a lot for sharing. It's easy to forget about what else life has got top offer once focused on the application and the interview!