Vignette Task - Interview

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
candycane86

Vignette Task - Interview

Post by candycane86 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi All,

I realise that this is a topic extensively discussed throughout this forum - and whilst there is some great advice and I feel OK(ish..) in for example formulating using a CBT model - the fice p's etc. However,I get confused when it comes to the application of a specific psychological theory to a Vignette.

I realise that this probably sounds pretty silly and I am sure I am possibly overthinking things, but I wondered if anyone had any advice around this? Wanted to discuss things? Either on the Forum or Live chat? Thanks :) x

workingmama
Team Member

Re: Vignette Task - Interview

Post by workingmama » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:52 pm

I am only guessing here, but my best guess would be that no course would ask a question that presumed that anyone would know a specific model. Just my own thoughts, so I'd wait and see what other people think, but I know I wouldn't have been able to talk of anything more sophisticated than 5ps (which I googled pre interview, as it happens). If courses were to ask you to formulate using a specific model, they'd presumably have to be sure that most folks could use that model, so I reckon they wouldn't ask for that, but very happy to get fuller feedback from a qualified on this?
Fail, fail again, fail better.

ell

Post by ell » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:28 am

Workingmama is right I think, in that courses won't expect you to formulate using a particular model in interview (in fact one course told me off for it). There's a really useful thread somewhere I think that Miriam (i might be wrong) wrote about the different things to think about when working through a vignette, have a search using the search function. It is useful to know about some different theories and models, but I don't think they will present you with a vignette and ask you to formulate using a specific one. They might give you an example of something and ask what theories can be used to possibly explain it.

ell

Post by ell » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:38 am

It's not a silly question though Candycane, and it is an important thing to be able to do, just not necessarily for clinical interviews. How do you feel about working through a vignette but not using specific models? As you say, there are useful threads on that. However, a great idea to pop intoLiveChat and have a discussion on it! Sometimes there are scheduled LiveChat vignette discussions, check out Members Area threads to see when those are.

Also, someone with better CBT knowledge may know better than me, but not sure 5 Ps are part of CBT models? At least I've not come across them in any formal teaching re CBT that I have had.

candycane86

Post by candycane86 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:50 am

Thank you for your replies both. Where do i find the members area threads?

I think that is exactly what I am anxious about - the application of a specific theory to try and understand and explain some aspects of the vignette. I have some understanding of some theories from undergrad years etc, but I feel I go into a blind panic of not knowing where to begin with applying these.

I have looked at theories such as - social learning theory, modelling, attachment theory, but I suppose I am wondering would these be to brief to discuss! I am also mindful I am quite possibly making a mountain out of a (large) molehill...

If anyone would like to have a discussion on Live chat or has any advice about how they have tackled preparing for vignettes would be up for that! I will check out the post you mentioned Ell.

The 5 p's I was thinking precipitating factors, predisposing, presenting etc.

Candycanex

xjennax

Post by xjennax » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:08 am

As I understand it the 5 p's is a framework for formulation but is not based on a model/theory - so it is not a CBT formulation.
It's not that I'm so smart , it's just that I stay with problems longer
In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them
My favourite quotes - all from Albert Einstein

Toria

Post by Toria » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:14 pm

I think this issue of what the 5 Ps actually is is a bit of a thorny one. It is included in the (amazing) Johnstone and Dallos (2006) formulation book within the CBT section, but I tend to agree with others in this thread that it isn't a CBT formulation model. However, I did use it in my (successful) DClinPsy interview and I think it can be a useful framework for structuring information.

In answer to your question candycane, I think that it would be completely appropriate to talk about social learning theory or attachment theory in relation to a vignette.

Good luck! :D
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn

ell

Post by ell » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:23 pm

The 5 Ps can be a useful framework certainly, just don't want Candycane going into interview and saying that they are CBT.

I think as long as you can make the theory relate to the vignette you can choose what you want to talk about.

The members area is near the bottom of the list of sections on the forum. Can't link to it myself cos on phone.

candycane86

Post by candycane86 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:43 pm

Ok, brilliant, many thanks for all of your replies! So I could technically maybe use any theory to apply to the vignette but perhaps structure the information using the 3 p's to help explain coherently how the information links together?

I was indeed the Johnstone and Dallos book I have been reading Toria!

scriddle

Post by scriddle » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi guys... just preparing for my interview and you've got me all panicked now!! The 5p's model is a formulation tool... but is the section to do with perpetuating factors not a bit like Beck's theory of depression? What I'm asking is are there bits of CBT models in the 5 P's formulation... if that makes sense...

candycane86

Post by candycane86 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:56 pm

That is my understanding yes! I think I would use the p's to essentially organise the information I think?

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:01 pm

The 5Ps has no specific theoretical base; but can be traced back to Weerasekeera's biopsychosocial principles for case formulation (see ref below). It is a way to describe the client's circumstances and history, and therefore can be used to inform a formulation; but it is not, in itself, a psychological formulation because it does not synthesise the information, nor does it account for personal meaning.

As interview panels are unlikely to require you to have knowledge of formulating in specific models, using the 5Ps as a template to start your thinking from a biopsychosocial perspective about how you might work with someone to improve their psychological wellbeing is acceptable. This does mean drawing on psychological theory (attachment, cognitive theory, systems theory, psychoanalytic theory) to hypothesise about how a client has come to be where they are, but this is different to formulating within a single (arguably medical) model (e.g. CBT for GAD).

A quick Google search revealed, before my eyes, the BPS guidelines on psychological formulation (although this particular file appears to be hosted on the Canterbury Christ Church University website).

Weerasekeera, P. (1996). Multiperspective case formulation: A step towards treatment integration. Malabar, Fl: Krieger.

The Cone
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

Switchback

Post by Switchback » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:50 pm

This thread has been very useful. Thank you.
I've been familiarising myself with the 5p model within CBT formulation, and systemic formulation. Although, I think I will stick to the 5p model for now.

Cone, do you have any advice on the type of role play to expect for the Salmons' interview?

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:13 pm

Switchback wrote: Cone, do you have any advice on the type of role play to expect for the Salmons' interview?
Hey Switchback, I'm sorry but I've not got any advice on what to expect, but best of luck with it!

The Cone
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

Switchback

Post by Switchback » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Borrowed Cone wrote:Hey Switchback, I'm sorry but I've not got any advice on what to expect, but best of luck with it!

The Cone
Thank you, Cone. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone personally who has been to Salomons, or had the interview. So I'm not sure what to expect.