When will the progress thread start?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
rabbit

Re: Progress thread 2014

Post by rabbit » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:43 pm

My housemate gave me crips and an Egg and Spoon chocolate last night (they are yummy!!)
I joked that each of my friends should bring me chocolate each night while this is ongoing.
If they could also cover all my work so I could hide under a duvet and then they brought me chocolate... well that would be the best :P

It's my first time, so I really shouldn't even be this anxious - I'm not going to get on!
I wish somebody would open the progress thread though, several uni's are starting to let people know.
The time will come when men such as I will look on the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men. (Leonardo da Vinci)

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 pm

CharlotteD wrote: It's my first time, so I really shouldn't even be this anxious - I'm not going to get on!
Haha, I know that feeling.
I kept telling myself I obviously wasn't going to get on and that this was just a trial application, but I couldn't help myself imagining opening up that letter and seeing an interview offer, definitely felt a bit upset when I got 4 rejections, no matter how many times I reminded myself that I knew it was going to happen that way.
This year I actually feel like I might have some chance of an interview, like this application is "for real" and I'm sure I'm actually less nervous than I was last year.

Sorry, this post has no useful point except to say you aren't the only one and it is not unusual to feel anxious no matter how often you tell yourself "I shouldn't".

Also- people do get on first time, no one (to my knowledge) has passed a blanket rule that first time applicants get binned without consideration, so please don't take my post as saying that you won't get on because I didn't. I didn't get an interview because I wasn't ready, this year I feel more ready, and if it comes to it then next year I'll be even better prepared. Just thought I'd clarify.

Eriya

Post by Eriya » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:43 pm

This is my first time applying too and I also feel like I shouldn't expect to get any interviews. I can't help it though and emotions will be running high when I start getting emails!

rabbit

Post by rabbit » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:53 pm

firegal wrote: Sorry, this post has no useful point
Haha, I think most of the posts at the moment are more frantic ramblings than posts with a useful point :P

However, yours was helpful :)
I feel quite ready, which I think is why I'm so anxious. I really hope this year is your year firegal :) you have a very heathly attitude to it all!

I do find it quite amusing that we all fantasise about opening the letter inviting us to interview... we don't even think about an actual offer of a place... just an interview would be nice please big ClinPsy machine... haha
The time will come when men such as I will look on the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men. (Leonardo da Vinci)

alexh

Post by alexh » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:03 pm

2 rejections.

Coventry&warwick
Essex
UEA

Herts

LucyM

Post by LucyM » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:08 pm

UEA letters are out?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Also, sorry to hear that Alex! fingers crossed for the other two!

AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:16 pm

What format do UEA notifications take?! Should I be stalking a postie or refreshing my inbox like a crazy person?

I'm really sorry to hear about the reds Alex :(

alexh

Post by alexh » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:03 pm

By letter today. Essex email Friday.

Sangreal

Post by Sangreal » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:25 pm

blue86 wrote:The progress thread will appear on time as it does every year; I think this has already been answered in other threads. There's no need to make another thread with the title "Progress thread" because it will just confuse things.
And Lola24 - I think you have some time when you can go in and Edit your previous post if you'd like to do that - for about a day or so, better ask a moderator about the specific time frame.
Sorry, but that comes across a little patronising.

Additionally, for anyone who is interested, I know of at least two people who claim to have received interview offers in the last 24 hours, and a few people who have had 'no's. I haven't been following the various threads so will not name the courses (and it's not my place to - they are members here, so I'm sure they will comment at some point), but this is currently the only generic 2014 progress thread I can see at present, so seems the most appropriate place to mention that replies/offers for interviews have started from at least one course.
Worrying is like a rocking chair - it gives you something to do, but ultimately gets you nowhere.

Sangreal

Post by Sangreal » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:31 pm

CharlotteD wrote: It's my first time, so I really shouldn't even be this anxious - I'm not going to get on!
firegal wrote:Also- people do get on first time, no one (to my knowledge) has passed a blanket rule that first time applicants get binned without consideration, so please don't take my post as saying that you won't get on because I didn't. I didn't get an interview because I wasn't ready, this year I feel more ready, and if it comes to it then next year I'll be even better prepared. Just thought I'd clarify.
Agree with firegal - first-time applications have 'equal' chances of getting through as second/third/fourth timers - it's not the number of years you've applied, but the skills, knowledge, and mindset you demonstrate in your application (and hopefully your subsequent interview), plus a bit of luck here and there too!! :wink: Good luck!!
Worrying is like a rocking chair - it gives you something to do, but ultimately gets you nowhere.

Hobbit

Post by Hobbit » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:37 pm

Bangor

blue86

Post by blue86 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:42 pm

Sangreal wrote:
blue86 wrote:The progress thread will appear on time as it does every year; I think this has already been answered in other threads. There's no need to make another thread with the title "Progress thread" because it will just confuse things.
And Lola24 - I think you have some time when you can go in and Edit your previous post if you'd like to do that - for about a day or so, better ask a moderator about the specific time frame.

Additionally, for anyone who is interested, I know of at least two people who claim to have received interview offers in the last 24 hours, and a few people who have had 'no's. I haven't been following the various threads so will not name the courses (and it's not my place to - they are members here, so I'm sure they will comment at some point), but this is currently the only generic 2014 progress thread I can see at present, so seems the most appropriate place to mention that replies/offers for interviews have started from at least one course.
Hello,

I really apologize if that came across as patronising. Sometimes it is difficult to express myself fully in a written only medium. What I meant to say is that the thread will be posted in due time - I have received this response myself every year I get to be as anxious. Other applicants might search the forum by that name "Progress thread" and it might confuse things if there are many unofficial threads with a similar title. At least that's what I think.

And if you are referring to the Edit comment - this was meant to be useful to the poster; I often find that I make mistakes and it's nice to know there is a small Edit button on my post so I can go back to it. This feature is not always available on forums so I just told that to the poster so that they won't feel the need to write a new post with just the correction. If he or she still wants to do so, you will definitely not hear any complaints from me. Sorry again.

BlueCat

Post by BlueCat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:04 pm

A moderator's decision was made that the progress thread will "go live" on 20th February, which is three weeks before the deadline date, which is plenty early enough, unless there is clear evidence that courses have made a decision on the majority of their candidates (i.e. have passed through the shortlisting process, rather than just sending early rejections to people whose applications don't meet minimum criteria and are therefore not passing through to shortlisting - people who have not been invited to screening assessments fall into this category). I have changed the title of this thread to reflect that this is not the progress thread, to allay confusion and panic!
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Lola24

Re: When will the progress thread start?

Post by Lola24 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:22 pm

blue86 wrote:
Sangreal wrote:

Hello,

I really apologize if that came across as patronising. Sometimes it is difficult to express myself fully in a written only medium. What I meant to say is that the thread will be posted in due time - I have received this response myself every year I get to be as anxious. Other applicants might search the forum by that name "Progress thread" and it might confuse things if there are many unofficial threads with a similar title. At least that's what I think.

And if you are referring to the Edit comment - this was meant to be useful to the poster; I often find that I make mistakes and it's nice to know there is a small Edit button on my post so I can go back to it. This feature is not always available on forums so I just told that to the poster so that they won't feel the need to write a new post with just the correction. If he or she still wants to do so, you will definitely not hear any complaints from me. Sorry again.
Hi blue86

If the poster was referring to the edit comment that u left for me, don't worry I didn't find it patronising. It's helpful to know u can edit which I didn't realise..I'm not a fan of spelling mistakes so would much prefer to edit! :) Been posting from my phone the last few times, far too difficult to find the way to edit on here..can just about see the text! But yep definitely helpful for picky people like me to know. No need to apologise from my point of view.

Lola

BlueCat

Re: When will the progress thread start?

Post by BlueCat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Progress thread is OPEN
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.