The Great Big Progress Thread for 2014 Applications

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
moony

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2014 Applications

Post by moony » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:14 pm

Sorry, that might've helped! So far no word from:

UCL
Royal Holloway
Edinburgh
Kings / IoP
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

stormy331

Post by stormy331 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:42 pm

Also no post for me from Trent, Cov & Warwick or Sheffield...

playdough

Post by playdough » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:19 pm

Moony I've just checked with someone at home and there was no post from UCL for me either. I don't know if they would do it this way, but maybe the bags you saw were all the Nos and they haven't finished sorting out the Yes's and reserves and are waiting until that's done to send them all out? Or they just ran out of time to post them on Friday and they're being sent today. Either way we'll know soon I guess!

moony

Post by moony » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:37 pm

Yeah, that's a possibility. Just a matter of waiting now I guess. The 14th seems really far away!
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

sparkling

Post by sparkling » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:39 pm

Wishful thinking - I'll join you.....

LozLoz

Post by LozLoz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:56 pm

Hey all!
congrats to everyone with interviews so far and commiserations to those with reds.

first time poster but been following the posts for ages.
Only applied to Birmingham this year, not gonna get my hopes as I have no AP or RA experience, but I am a volunteer counsellor.

Just called them and they said everyone will hear by 14th of March by e mail...no stalking the postman for me!

Good Luck everyone!

amadea

Post by amadea » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Has anyone got a letter from Manchester? I was unsuccessful, however they notified me via Email and I then confirmed it in the Clearing House website. Maybe other centres will do the same and contact people by email as it is cheaper, faster and considering new technologies, more reliable.

Stoney

Post by Stoney » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:21 pm

amadea wrote:Has anyone got a letter from Manchester? I was unsuccessful, however they notified me via Email and I then confirmed it in the Clearing House website. Maybe other centres will do the same and contact people by email as it is cheaper, faster and considering new technologies, more reliable.
I didn’t receive a letter from Manchester; just an e-mail and confirmation on the Clearing House website. Some Universities notify you by letter and e-mail but not all. In a way, I prefer just one method of communication – especially for a rejection!

rachaelmullaney

Post by rachaelmullaney » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi everyone,

New to the site and just saying hello and updating on my news (the little that there is!). In order of preference...

Glasgow
Edinburgh
Newcastle
Lancaster

I've not had any actual confirmation from Edinburgh that its a no but from looking at another forum thread I seen that as part of the application process, Edinburgh applicants were invited to answer additional questions which I never received any invitation to do so my detective skills are telling me it's a no! :oops:

Did the screening test for Lancaster on February 13th which went okay but as a first time applicant I'm just taking it all in my stride and looking forward to finding out a bit more about how to best apply next year! :)

blue86

Post by blue86 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:59 pm

amadea wrote:Has anyone got a letter from Manchester? I was unsuccessful, however they notified me via Email and I then confirmed it in the Clearing House website. Maybe other centres will do the same and contact people by email as it is cheaper, faster and considering new technologies, more reliable.
Not all courses send emails and letters. They might send a letter with extra info for interview applicants, but often it might be just one or the other. I got three no's last year and they all came by email - no letter. I didn't get an email for my interview offer, but received a letter in the post after I saw it on the Clearing House website.

AlexisRose

Post by AlexisRose » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:32 pm

rachaelmullaney wrote:Hi everyone,

New to the site and just saying hello and updating on my news (the little that there is!). In order of preference...

Glasgow
Edinburgh
Newcastle
Lancaster

I've not had any actual confirmation from Edinburgh that its a no but from looking at another forum thread I seen that as part of the application process, Edinburgh applicants were invited to answer additional questions which I never received any invitation to do so my detective skills are telling me it's a no! :oops:

Did the screening test for Lancaster on February 13th which went okay but as a first time applicant I'm just taking it all in my stride and looking forward to finding out a bit more about how to best apply next year! :)
Hi rachaelmullaney

I would maybe email Edinburgh. According to the emails inviting candidates to answer the additional questions, this is if you meet the minimum requirements. 60 people did not and were not asked to complete these questions however I am still surprised you haven't heard anything. Hope this helps.

rachaelmullaney

Post by rachaelmullaney » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:38 pm

AlexisRose wrote:
rachaelmullaney wrote:Hi everyone,

Glasgow
Edinburgh
Newcastle
Lancaster

Hi rachaelmullaney

I would maybe email Edinburgh. According to the emails inviting candidates to answer the additional questions, this is if you meet the minimum requirements. 60 people did not and were not asked to complete these questions however I am still surprised you haven't heard anything. Hope this helps.
Hi Alexis,

Thanks for that info - I think it means I didn't meet the minimum requirements because I didn't hear anything at all but I will email them just now. Do you have any idea of anyone else who didn't get a letter/didn't hear anything at all from them?

catlc

Post by catlc » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:44 pm

[quote
Thanks for that info - I think it means I didn't meet the minimum requirements because I didn't hear anything at all but I will email them just now. Do you have any idea of anyone else who didn't get a letter/didn't hear anything at all from them?[/quote]

As far as I know, Edinburgh send out all their letters together, regardless of what stage you get rejected. I'm sure you'll hear from them in the next two weeks. Can't hurt to email and just clarify though.

Skadualendothel

Post by Skadualendothel » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:10 pm

I can't quite believe it's true... I have literally just re-read the email about 10 times to check!

Delighted to say

Oxford

monJ84

Post by monJ84 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:12 pm

First time applicant... not really surprised given the state of my written test! Putting it in the 'good experience' pocket though...

Surrey
Royal Holloway
UEL
UCL