The Great Big Progress Thread for 2014 Applications

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
pinkaliengoo

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2014 Applications

Post by pinkaliengoo » Thu May 01, 2014 4:09 pm

gcapone wrote:Hi

I don't suppose anyone knows when we are likely to hear back from Salomons this year re interview outcome?

In keeping with the nature of this thread, I've applied for the first time this year and managed to get interviews for Trent and Salomons.

Hope everyone is managing the anxiety of waiting okay!
Hiya, I think they said we'd hear back by next Friday but lots of the trainees on the day suggested either tonight (!) or tomorrow by phone! Good luck, what day did you interview?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
pinkaliengoo

Post by pinkaliengoo » Thu May 01, 2014 4:11 pm

Beryl wrote:Hi I was wondering how people are hearing about the results from interviews, whether it is phone calls or email etc. Thanks.
I think this varies by course. Last year I found out about Glasgow via email (and received a confirmation on clearing house and by letter a few days later). Salomons said they would ring us. Not sure what other courses do - might be worth doing a search for posts from previous years about the courses you've applied for? Good luck! :)

blue86

Post by blue86 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:21 pm

pinkaliengoo wrote:
Beryl wrote:Hi I was wondering how people are hearing about the results from interviews, whether it is phone calls or email etc. Thanks.
I think this varies by course. Last year I found out about Glasgow via email (and received a confirmation on clearing house and by letter a few days later). Salomons said they would ring us. Not sure what other courses do - might be worth doing a search for posts from previous years about the courses you've applied for? Good luck! :)
Yep, it is different depending on course. Some do emails, others do phone calls, others a combination. Some might still do letters first. The length of waiting time also varies - anywhere from a day to two weeks. Usually they tell you at interview, but if not, maybe just wait a while? Admins might be overwhelmed with duties right about now. Hopefully it won't be too long.
pinkaliengoo wrote: Hiya, I think they said we'd hear back by next Friday but lots of the trainees on the day suggested either tonight (!) or tomorrow by phone! Good luck, what day did you interview?
Ooooh that's exciting! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

pinkaliengoo

Post by pinkaliengoo » Thu May 01, 2014 4:26 pm

blue86 wrote:
pinkaliengoo wrote:
Yep, it is different depending on course. Some do emails, others do phone calls, others a combination. Some might still do letters first. The length of waiting time also varies - anywhere from a day to two weeks. Usually they tell you at interview, but if not, maybe just wait a while? Admins might be overwhelmed with duties right about now. Hopefully it won't be too long.
pinkaliengoo wrote: Hiya, I think they said we'd hear back by next Friday but lots of the trainees on the day suggested either tonight (!) or tomorrow by phone! Good luck, what day did you interview?
Ooooh that's exciting! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Thanks! Still holding out for my favourites (Glasgow/Edinburgh)!

gcapone

Post by gcapone » Thu May 01, 2014 4:44 pm

pinkaliengoo wrote:

I don't suppose anyone knows when we are likely to hear back from Salomons this year re interview outcome?

In keeping with the nature of this thread, I've applied for the first time this year and managed to get interviews for Trent and Salomons.

Hiya, I think they said we'd hear back by next Friday but lots of the trainees on the day suggested either tonight (!) or tomorrow by phone! Good luck, what day did you interview?
Ah thanks pinkaliengoo! I thought the same but just wanted to clarify as tonight seems so early when they're scheduled to interview tomorrow as well according to clearing house? I was interviewed on Monday. Yourself?
“No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand… Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” ~Anton Chekhov

pinkaliengoo

Post by pinkaliengoo » Thu May 01, 2014 4:50 pm

gcapone wrote:
pinkaliengoo wrote:

Ah thanks pinkaliengoo! I thought the same but just wanted to clarify as tonight seems so early when they're scheduled to interview tomorrow as well according to clearing house? I was interviewed on Monday. Yourself?
Ah according to clearing house they are interviewing tomorrow, but the last scheduled interviews finished today at 1pm (according to info sent to us via email before interviews), so I'm guessing they met this afternoon to decide? Either way don't stress about it, hopefully we'll all know by tomorrow :) I also interviewed on Monday in the morning, so maybe we met or at least saw each other...!

gcapone

Post by gcapone » Thu May 01, 2014 5:53 pm

Yes, you're right. Going to put some effort into distracting myself tonight I think! Ah, what are the odds! Best of luck to you x
“No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand… Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” ~Anton Chekhov

GingerOwl

Post by GingerOwl » Thu May 01, 2014 6:24 pm

Salomon's - ouch :(

Was my first ever clinical interview and I didn't think it had gone amazingly but the feedback was useful and will take it on board for Royal Holloway and IoP
~ * Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'! Audrey Hepburn * ~

pinkaliengoo

Post by pinkaliengoo » Thu May 01, 2014 6:27 pm

GingerOwl wrote:Salomon's - ouch :(

Was my first ever clinical interview and I didn't think it had gone amazingly but the feedback was useful and will take it on board for Royal Holloway and IoP
Ah did they ring you? When? So sorry it was a no but good luck with the others!!

DrElizabeth

Post by DrElizabeth » Thu May 01, 2014 7:39 pm

Oxford
UEL
Surrey
Salomons (3rd reserve) :shock: :(

I got the call at around 6.35 tonight from Salomons, so they have made up their minds and are doing the rounds. I have to admit I am not really sure how to feel about being on the reserve. Very glad to be on the reserve list, but just still means I don't know what is going to happen. I'm really hoping that lots of people offered Salomon's places this year are also successful in other interviews, and decide they don't want to go to Salomons after all.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear, and to everyone else who have interviews coming up x

AnonymousMouse

Post by AnonymousMouse » Thu May 01, 2014 8:01 pm

DrElizabeth wrote:Oxford
UEL
Surrey

I got the call at around 6.35 tonight from Salomons, so they have made up their minds and are doing the rounds. I have to admit I am not really sure how to feel about being on the reserve. Very glad to be on the reserve list, but just still means I don't know what is going to happen. I'm really hoping that lots of people offered Salomon's places this year are also successful in other interviews, and decide they don't want to go to Salomons after all.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear, and to everyone else who have interviews coming up x
Congratulations!!! One of the trainees was telling us that she was 8th reserve and got on so everything crossed for you!

I'm still waiting for my call, but I know that I massively messed up on a couple of the questions. Pretty annoyed at myself to be honest, and totally expecting a no :(

DrElizabeth

Post by DrElizabeth » Thu May 01, 2014 8:30 pm

AnonymousMouse wrote:
DrElizabeth wrote:Oxford
UEL
Surrey

Congratulations!!! One of the trainees was telling us that she was 8th reserve and got on so everything crossed for you!

I'm still waiting for my call, but I know that I massively messed up on a couple of the questions. Pretty annoyed at myself to be honest, and totally expecting a no :(

Thank you. To be honest I felt exactly the same way. The interview I thought went well was the one they had a few suggestions about, and the one I felt went terribly said they thought I was great. So you just don't know. Have hope. And either way it is a great learning experience, and will be useful for future interviews (or that is what I keep telling myself anyway). Good luck xx

oldlady

Post by oldlady » Thu May 01, 2014 9:19 pm

clairebear16 wrote:Ist year applicant.

UEA
Exeter
Bath (1st reserve)
Edinburgh

My advice: try not to freak yourself out...it CAN be done. I managed to talk myself out of the fact I could be successful on a first attempt and was totally shocked by the results. I also don't have a 1st or any unbelievable experience, just varied and I did reflect quite a bit in my application. If you do manage to get to interview (congratulations!), my only advice would be to...BE YOURSELF. I did quite minimal preparations, provided no clinical jargon/buzz words in the interview and was concerned I had let myself down as a result. It turned out OK though. I think I answered the questions honestly, using examples from my experience and discussed what I've learned both personally and professionally. I thought it may not have been enough after speaking with others who appeared a lot more prepared/"clued in" but now I think what they look for (not that I know of course) is someone who is honest, thoughtful and who they feel can be trusted to work with very vulnerable people. Best of luck to everyone, current and future applicants. :D

Well done Claire! I have been trying to think how to phrase this as a casually disinterested question, but where do you think you want to go? I can't work it out by geography alone! (You seem to have chosen courses at the three corners of the UK!)

jamie10

Post by jamie10 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:28 pm

I found out I am in the mid 20s on the reserve list at Salomons. I am assuming this means no chance? I am looking to know the answer as I hate the idea of waiting another month or so to find out I have not been offered. It feels there is little chance I will get on with this kind of reserve offer...

AnonymousMouse

Post by AnonymousMouse » Thu May 01, 2014 9:37 pm

salomons

HOW on earth did this happen?!