An open letter to the rejectees of 2014

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Rapid

Re: An open letter to the rejectees of 2014

Post by Rapid »

Late reply I know but this is a very relevant letter for this time of year (which includes me too).
ElizabethB wrote:I think this is a really important point and something which I'm trying to focus on now. Comparing my journey with other applicants, trainees and some of my friends from my 2003 graduation who are now working within senior/consultant cp roles, really isn't helpful and perhaps just induces learned helplessness over time, upward social comparisions, a glass ceiling effect and real knocks to my self efficacy.
I don't think this process is ever really about anyone else. Looking at how other people are doing is pointless, we're way too unique as human beings to start making comparisons between ourselves or trying to predict the minds of those who choose the applicants for a course as to why 'they chose him/her but not me'. Its never a personal thing, its not like they assess you over a period of time and tell you that you, as a person, are not good enough for the course. They judge you by some free text on an application form and I would say that application I put in says very little about me as an individual.

I think "staying grounded" is an important concept too. Theres not many professions (as mentioned in the OP) that will only take on the best of the best and thats who this process takes on.

So I'll take these so-called 'rejections' on the chin and move on. Look forward to liaising with you all in December!
workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama »

Rapid wrote:Theres not many professions (as mentioned in the OP) that will only take on the best of the best and thats who this process takes on.
Or at least, perhaps, the best of who applied in a specific way, and interview in a particular way, etc. Someone once wrote somewhere on the forum that there are far more suitable applicants for the course than places on the course, so not getting a place doesn't necessarily mean that you couldn't have gone on to do just as well as the people who did get a place, just that the numbers don't permit.
Fail, fail again, fail better.
AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell »

Rapid wrote:I don't think this process is ever really about anyone else.
I actually disagree with this point (but not your overall sentiment) - I think the process of getting to interview and getting a place IS a lot about other people. But not in a way that means you need to compare yourself to others, but more from the perspective of understanding why good, qualified, capable people miss out on interviews and places. One of the things you really can't control in this process is how you compare to that particular pool of people for that course in that specific year (which will obviously change year on year). And that's the only real benchmark there is when you have a huge pool of people who all meet the essential and desirable criteria for a post; how you compare to the rest of the pool.

I don't mean that to be negative, but more to say... in the 2 years I applied, I did change as an applicant and my experience got better... but I wasn't more or less suitable, and I don't think my performance at interview was dramatically better the 2nd time around. It might have been as much to do with the performance of other people as my own, really. And for me, knowing that takes a bit of the personal responsiblity/sense of disappointment out of it - I can't control that side of it and it's not necessarily about me as a person or a trainee.
Spatch

Re: An open letter to the rejectees of 2018

Post by Spatch »

Four years on and I have some more thoughts on this.

I am not involved in selection at all this year, but away from the sifting table and trainees, but ironically more in contact with actual asssistants, graduates and other aspirants. I am struck with how able, motivated and accomplished so many of you are at such an early stage in the process. I do think there has been a step change in terms of what is expected from APs, PWPs, support workers, etc and this has passed up through the process to necessitate tests, pre-selection measures etc.

However, I would also like to make a plea for many of you very able intelligent psychology friendly folk who are rejected this year to seriously think about the NHS graduate management scheme or going for other management/organisational type positions. While we do need psychologists, nurses and a whole range of mental health staff, we have never so badly needed good, solid leadership and managerial skill than ever before. While I hope psychology does work out for whoever is reading it, but if not do seriously think about an alternative path where you get to manage and support psychologists, secure resources and influence a broader mental health agenda beyond the therapy room.

It is sorely needed and many of you would be exceptional in those roles.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/
RobertDV

Re: An open letter to the rejectees of 2018

Post by RobertDV »

Spatch wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:59 pm Four years on and I have some more thoughts on this.

I am not involved in selection at all this year, but away from the sifting table and trainees, but ironically more in contact with actual asssistants, graduates and other aspirants. I am struck with how able, motivated and accomplished so many of you are at such an early stage in the process. I do think there has been a step change in terms of what is expected from APs, PWPs, support workers, etc and this has passed up through the process to necessitate tests, pre-selection measures etc.

However, I would also like to make a plea for many of you very able intelligent psychology friendly folk who are rejected this year to seriously think about the NHS graduate management scheme or going for other management/organisational type positions. While we do need psychologists, nurses and a whole range of mental health staff, we have never so badly needed good, solid leadership and managerial skill than ever before. While I hope psychology does work out for whoever is reading it, but if not do seriously think about an alternative path where you get to manage and support psychologists, secure resources and influence a broader mental health agenda beyond the therapy room.

It is sorely needed and many of you would be exceptional in those roles.
since reading this i have actually come to the decision to go for the NHS graduate scheme as oppose to the clinical doctorate, so thank you for bringing this career path to my attention which i had to idea about beforehand. Do you know anybody that has done the scheme and how their career progression has gone since finishing. i still would like to work in a mental health setting but as a service manager or even eventually a director.
blaman444

Post by blaman444 »

I just came across this on the 2020 progress thread. Such kind and compassionate words, thank you so much for this Spatch. It's my first year applying, and I'm expecting to not be successful - this letter will be important to come back to.