Reserve Place for a Course

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
jack19stags

Reserve Place for a Course

Post by jack19stags » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Hello All,

I recently noticed that there was a thread for those who have been listed as a reserve for an interview and thought it might be nice to have a place for those listed as a reserve for a course (I can't take all the credit it was suggested in the great big progress thread!).

So here it is, I am currently the second reserve at Leicester and really don't know how I feel - happy that I still have a chance but frustrated that I have potentially come so close to just miss out. I thought the thread might be a good place for people to discuss how they are feeling or perhaps a place for those who have secured a place having been moved up from a reserve to give us all hope. Either way a place for us all to share our feelings having been listed as a reserve might be worthwhile process.

Continued good luck to all those still waiting for interviews, to hear back from courses or to fellow people on the reserve list for a particular course.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
memifer

Re: Reserve Place for a Course

Post by memifer » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:35 pm

I am a reserve for the Bangor course, and I have no idea where I sit on that list, or how long their reserve list even is!

To be completely honest though, as there have been some pretty huge life events that have happened since my interview, I'm feeling relieved that I don't have a place on the course yet, as Bangor will require lots of commuting and would impact upon my personal life quite considerably. Due to a recent bereavement, my family life has asserted itself as a more prominent priority over my DClin desires, so I do feel that if I was to be offered a place, I would have to give serious consideration as to whether to actually accept it, or do I just try again next year and hope to have more success at my local course centres, which with a stronger application I believe is achievable (I applied this year with minimal experience, having only graduated with my BSc in 2013, felt like a bit of a fraud getting an interview in a 'practice' year), so will not only have a stronger application next year, but may feel more 'deserving' of that opportunity.

Will just have to wait and see what happens over the next few months, and secretly hoping that this isn't a choice I have to make, but is instead made for me!

blue86

Post by blue86 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:44 pm

memifer wrote: Due to a recent bereavement, my family life has asserted itself as a more prominent priority over my DClin desires, so I do feel that if I was to be offered a place, I would have to give serious consideration as to whether to actually accept it, or do I just try again next year and hope to have more success at my local course centres, which with a stronger application I believe is achievable (I applied this year with minimal experience, having only graduated with my BSc in 2013, felt like a bit of a fraud getting an interview in a 'practice' year), so will not only have a stronger application next year, but may feel more 'deserving' of that opportunity.
Hi Memifer,

Very sorry to hear about your recent loss :( Lots of hugs! I can't even begin to imagine :(
One thing I would like to say - I don't think you should feel like a fraud at all! No matter when you graduated or whether it was a "practice" year. You proved that they consider you ready for training, and that they are willing to give you a place if the opportunity arises. I think you deserve some nice congratulations for that. Bangor is a nice course, and they would be lucky to have you. I say that as a former Bangor :)

On topic - I was a reserve place last year, and that wait was by far the worst of the year. It also made me quite anxious when waiting for interview letters this time. Thankfully, that course is giving me a second chance this year, but I feel under quite a lot of pressure. If they give me an outright no, I will be devastated. If I'm lucky, I may end up joining this thread officially and waiting with you all in May. Not bad company if I may say so ;)
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone, and I'll be around if any of you want to rant about this whole limbo situation.
Best of luck!

Ruthie

Post by Ruthie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:03 pm

memifer wrote:I am a reserve for the Bangor course, and I have no idea where I sit on that list, or how long their reserve list even is!

To be completely honest though, as there have been some pretty huge life events that have happened since my interview, I'm feeling relieved that I don't have a place on the course yet, as Bangor will require lots of commuting and would impact upon my personal life quite considerably. Due to a recent bereavement, my family life has asserted itself as a more prominent priority over my DClin desires, so I do feel that if I was to be offered a place, I would have to give serious consideration as to whether to actually accept it, or do I just try again next year and hope to have more success at my local course centres, which with a stronger application I believe is achievable (I applied this year with minimal experience, having only graduated with my BSc in 2013, felt like a bit of a fraud getting an interview in a 'practice' year), so will not only have a stronger application next year, but may feel more 'deserving' of that opportunity.

Will just have to wait and see what happens over the next few months, and secretly hoping that this isn't a choice I have to make, but is instead made for me!
Sorry to hear - I echo what Blue86 has said about not feeling like a fraud (or at least not having good reason to feel like one). If you don't want to start the course immediately due to your personal circumstances, you can ask to defer your place until the next year. It isn't that uncommon for people to do this (e.g. due to things like pregnancy, mat leave etc.). They may or may not be able to facilitate it but you can certainly ask. Good luck!

Ruthie
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.

butterfly123

Post by butterfly123 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:16 pm

Hi

Has anyone who is on the reserve list for a place at Manchester heard anything?

annaph

Post by annaph » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:40 pm

I've not heard anything from Manchester - I bet as the other north west course interviews aren't until later that it might not move much until then...? That doesn't stop me from
regularly checking my emails though!

apple106

Post by apple106 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:53 pm

Has there been any movement on the reserve list for ANY course!? This is such a horrible wait!

sparkling

Post by sparkling » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:36 am

Yes I'm really just wanting some movement somewhere!

astra

Post by astra » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:00 am

memifer wrote:I am a reserve for the Bangor course, and I have no idea where I sit on that list, or how long their reserve list even is!

Like Ruthie said there are lots of precedents for people being allowed to defer a place for out of the ordinary personal reasons such as bereavement/pregnancy and so on. See if you get offered the place and then take some time to think about it. The dust may have settled a bit by then anyway and you can always ask the course what to do when you reach that point.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

astra

Post by astra » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:01 am

Also, I thought usually the big progress thread usually just evolved into the reserve places thread as the prcess moves on. . .
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

oldlady

Post by oldlady » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:45 pm

I would love any news on the Bath reserve list (I am third reserve, but know that only two reserves got places last year...)

MagicBobcat

Post by MagicBobcat » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:35 am

oldlady wrote:I would love any news on the Bath reserve list (I am third reserve, but know that only two reserves got places last year...)
Hi Oldlady, I rang Bath for my interview feedback this morning and I asked how much the reserve list has moved in the past and he told me they have got to 8th reserve before, so fingers crossed you are still really likely to be offered a place.

Also I just recieved an email telling me that I have moved one place on the reserve but I don't know if that means someone on the reserve list before me has withdrawn which might not affect your position.

Good Luck!

AlexisRose

Post by AlexisRose » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:42 am

Anyone know if the Teesside reserve has moved at all? Not holding out much hope as I am quite far down the list but would be nice to know if it's moving. Thanks x

kk123

Post by kk123 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:03 pm

Hey, I spoke to the admin lady at Teeside yesterday and it hasnt moved at all- 5 people so far have accepted a place. Last year the reserve list moved 4 places, the years before that it has been alot more.

AlexisRose

Post by AlexisRose » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:18 pm

kk123 wrote:Hey, I spoke to the admin lady at Teeside yesterday and it hasnt moved at all- 5 people so far have accepted a place. Last year the reserve list moved 4 places, the years before that it has been alot more.
Thanks kk123 for letting me know, hopefully it will start moving soon with Newcastle interviewing at the moment.