Applying for 2015

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Wychelm

Applying for 2015

Post by Wychelm » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:32 pm

When do we start this process again? And who is going to be applying for 2015?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
enid

Re: Applying for 2015

Post by enid » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:28 pm

It opens in September I think, and deadline is Dec. And I imagine lots of people. I will probably apply for the first time this year....85% sure I think.

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:06 pm

The form is usually released in early September, and the deadline is generally around early December. There aren't any penalties for applying later, so you have plenty of time to consider what you want to put in your form.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm

I'm going to be applying for the first time this coming year though haven't even thought of the form etc

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:31 pm

I'd echo what Spatch says about taking your time with the form. In similar vein, I'd recommend people put next year's application out of their heads for the rest of the summer and just relax and enjoy the lovely weather! There's plenty of time for worrying once the forms have been released, so why not make the most of the last few weeks of Summer without worrying about "THE" form?? :D

AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:11 pm

I get it though! After watching some friends go through the process a couple of years ago and feeling caught up in the results etc, I was itching to get started as soon as their cycle ended. There are obviously other things to think about in the meantime, but I appreciate the keen-ness of just wanting to get started with your own application process.

I was similarly keen to get going this past cycle after being on reserve lists and wanting to nail it this time around. I got my form done pretty quickly as a result though - it came out in September, I worked hard on it for a couple of weeks and just got it sent away in October ish to get it out of my head (I think there's the risk of over working it). Plus, saved a fiver, bought a bottle of wine, and was happy with my life decisions :)

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:43 am

AnsweringBell wrote:Plus, saved a fiver, bought a bottle of wine, and was happy with my life decisions :)
That's where the clearing house is going wrong... you're not saving £5, you're getting a free bottle of wine! And we all know that free is a special number.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:32 pm

Do universities do open days for the course - I'm assuming not as I can't see anything hugely visible but?

ChrisMcC

Post by ChrisMcC » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:35 pm

Randomswirls wrote:Do universities do open days for the course - I'm assuming not as I can't see anything hugely visible but?
I am also going to be applying for the first time this year.

Most of the courses will have open days - I know from looking at course websites that Teesside and Bath definitely do. They might advertise the open days in the next couple of months.

Toria

Post by Toria » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:00 pm

I don't think most courses have open days but some do. All of the courses will have websites so it might be worth checking to see if any of the ones you are interested in hold open days.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn

snigglybear

Post by snigglybear » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:42 pm

Lancaster usually do an open day too, they've previously advertised it on ClinPsy as well as the Lancs website and facebook page :)

Randall

Post by Randall » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:59 pm

Hey everyone...I would recommend any of those open days if you do get the chance. I know that UEA had one. But at the same time, you don't necessarily need the open days, just scout out some CPD events happening with the course staff or by the trainees, get your face seen and go and ask some questions when there is the chance to :)

I'd also recommend getting a non-psychologist to proof read your form...and open yourself up to lots of critique; as many people to read through as you can, I would say...but don't get obsessive about it. I asked a few people just to read it and let me know if they got an impression of who I am, rather than pinpoint specifics. This was a helpful approach to take too, less cumbersome and more to the point!

With that said, I'd also take heed of the above advice by others and enjoy the summer :cyclops:

HumourMe

Post by HumourMe » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:52 pm

I am also hoping to apply. It will be my first application. I have been putting it off due to feeling inadequate in comparison with others but have been following the threads for a couple of years now and I feel ready to do my first application.

JamesFManc

Post by JamesFManc » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:50 pm

I think I may make my first application this year. I think I have enough experience and confidence now. I'm also going to apply for Doctor of Child Psychology too.

J1mmy

Post by J1mmy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:03 pm

I will be re-applying this year, but very little has happened in terms of gaining more experience since my last application. Will it be okay to construct a loosely similar personal statement to the one last year, or will I have to do it completely from scratch again? :(