Applying for 2015

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Spatch

Re: Applying for 2015

Post by Spatch » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:12 pm

I have definitely gone for more of a reflective approach in my statement but am not sure whether there's a risk of doing too much reflection? Do you think I should put more emphasis on I did x y z and so this makes me better for training?

Anyone else finding this tough?
Unfortunately it is going to be tough because it it was easy it would be much of a differentiator between applicants. I am also curious about too reflective may look like, because it's something that interweaves with everything. For me to be too reflective would be along the lines of being "too intelligent" or "too caring", hard to hold against a candidate.

However, from a personal perspective, I am starting to find there is a big difference between genuinely thought provoking insightful reflection and the sort of superficial observations that people pass off as reflection. I am not sure how helpful the sort of reflections that are commonly cited are, as these are often generic and consistently referenced by everyone. (e.g. most would agree that over reliance on the medical model isn't great, that underprivilege and disadvantage are a bad thing or CBT is not the only fruit). After a time, certain reflections almost become a non-answer along the lines of "Well, I am kind of a perfectionist" when asked about your weaknesses.

In answer to your question, being concise and reflective are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Think of your favourite writers, and how they complete multiple actions (evoke mood, push forward the plot, add characterisation) in a limited space. I have talked before about working towards finding your own voice and allowing the reviewer see the person under the application form. Also accepting it can never be perfect, after a point you are going to have to acknowledge its the best you can do, and being comnfortable with this is helpful too.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
LucyM

Post by LucyM » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:26 pm

Has everyone seen the updated selection criteria for UEL? They seem to have made their selection criteria a bit higher than last year. It makes sense considering how many applications they receive.

enid

Post by enid » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:57 pm

Oh I see it.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:22 pm

Gah!

I didn't get a high 2:1 I got a low 2:1 and I graduated back in 2006 when that was all that was needed. I could of done better but I was struggling with my mental health however it was probably a fair grade. I did a masters with the Open University and got a pass which was a huge achievement for me as I was unwell from the start to the end of it and had several hospital admissions.

UEL was my first choice because I liked there philosophy it kind of suited me as I work as a peer support worker and so on. But yet another London university has been ruled out for me. Ironically, UEL has implemented the two ticks scheme which I am eligible for but my disability prevented me getting the required grades so I'm not eligible for it.

I don't want to leave London as my support network is here and having heard of how intense the doctorate is I feel I need the support of friends and professionals around me. However, it now feels like that will become a must for me to follow this route but it's a risk.

You so often here about how clinical psychology needs to broaden it's appeal to attract minorities and many courses are involving service users on interview panels etc. Yet it feels like tonight when I've made huge strides to recover, to get back to work and so on that a huge hurdle has been put in my place and that hurdle almost feels insurmountable and I confess that I wonder if another career would be a better choice for me.

enid

Post by enid » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:59 pm

It appears - and correct me if I am wrong - that they changed the criteria on the 29th Sept. Given that the application opened on 1st Sept this seems horribly unfair, no?! What happens if you apply before 29th with 64%? Or indeed today, but only noticed the change today, as last checked the UEL site a week ago.

easdannsair

Post by easdannsair » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:30 pm

enid wrote:It appears - and correct me if I am wrong - that they changed the criteria on the 29th Sept. Given that the application opened on 1st Sept this seems horribly unfair, no?! What happens if you apply before 29th with 64%? Or indeed today, but only noticed the change today, as last checked the UEL site a week ago.
Southampton has a little note on it too -
"we are actively considering changes to our selection process. Any changes which will affect applicants for the 2015 intake will be posted on our website at least one month prior to the Clearing House closing date of 2 December 2014, in order to give potential applicants time to review these."

So I now feel I may not be able to apply by the end of October for early processing. It does feel unfair that they couldn't have decided any changes in August.

LeanneH

Post by LeanneH » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:51 am

I feel as though I have some good experience however not near enough to feel confident about applying! I'm contemplating applying this year as a kind of 'practice' go? Perhaps to familiarise myself with the application process and to maybe help me reflect on what I need to try and do this year to prepare for next year? I have had mixed reviews about this idea but my supervisor (Clinical Psychologist) feels it's a good idea. Has anyone else generally done this/ plans on doing this?

For one thing, considering it as a 'practice' application will definitly cushion the blow of being unsuccessful :lol: :roll:

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:15 pm

LeanneH wrote:I feel as though I have some good experience however not near enough to feel confident about applying! I'm contemplating applying this year as a kind of 'practice' go? Perhaps to familiarise myself with the application process and to maybe help me reflect on what I need to try and do this year to prepare for next year? I have had mixed reviews about this idea but my supervisor (Clinical Psychologist) feels it's a good idea. Has anyone else generally done this/ plans on doing this?

For one thing, considering it as a 'practice' application will definitly cushion the blow of being unsuccessful :lol: :roll:
Something I have always advised people to do, is to at least fill out the form - regardless of whether you send it in or not afterwards. It will give you the change to have a little bit of a career 'audit' - you can see what you have done and how it looks on paper, and how you might reflect on that. It also gives you the opportunity to try to complete these questions - its one thing to read them and think "oh, I could answer that", its another to put an answer together within the word limit.

That way, you can see whether you have any areas that you might want to try and round off or try and get further experience in.

Realistically though, with the competition as it is, it might be a wasted application to send it in fully, but definitely try filling it out!
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

enid

Post by enid » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Yes I did that last year - didn't apply - but wrote the form. It focussed me a bit for this year (still took many months to write the form though). The only downside being that I have thought about it a lot for a year now.

LeanneH

Post by LeanneH » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Thank you Gilly and Enid! I will definitely complete the form regardless then. I'm also lucky in the sense that my supervisor will most likely give me some really detailed feedback on my answers (which would most likely reveal whether it's worth sending off!). Also, as I'm due to be leaving in January, I feel that I don't want to miss the opportunity of having his support and advice on my application so far.

enid

Post by enid » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:58 pm

You have nothing to lose by applying. It's just important to find ways to stay resilient if you don't get an interview I guess....as I have seen people become totally disillusioned even after the first attempt at applying, and not come back to it.

easdannsair

Post by easdannsair » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:03 am

I applied in 2011 as a practise; send it in just to see how it worked, how long uni's took to get back with decisions, and how these forums influenced things (i.e. what others said, who got on with what etc)

Now I've waited a couple of years, I'm going to apply again as I've had 3 more experience posts and have completed my MSc (I didn't realise at the time it wouldn't count until completed.)

Not expecting much, but I feel it's been enough time/experience to justify another go :]

Wychelm

Post by Wychelm » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:43 pm

How is everyone getting on with the application form? I've up until now concentrated on sorting documents and references out. Just made a start on the main questions this last two days, I'm hoping I'm not way off in the wrong direction!

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:36 pm

I've started it but put it on hold so need to get back to it!

marsupialmama

Post by marsupialmama » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Also started it, sorted documents and references and then done some 'penciling' of reflections for the personal statement :)