Applying for 2015

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Wychelm

Re: Applying for 2015

Post by Wychelm » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:25 pm

Oh lordy. I've just had a metaphorical nosebleed having put in what I've done so far to check the character count. I had done around 1/6 th of what I wanted to and got to 3000 characters. It's so tiny : O back to the drawing board :cyclops:

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
kiora

Post by kiora » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:04 pm

i wish that was my problem! i did all the rest forever ago but have left the personal statement in the hope that somehow, magically, i will -in a bolt of genius lightning- suddenly know what i want to say and how to say it!...plan's not working out too great so far :l

Beggarsroost

Post by Beggarsroost » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:17 pm

Done all the easy bits and references etc have been requested.

Just really struggling to motivate myself to fill in the personal statement sections. I've come down with a chronic case of CBA-itis i'm afraid! I too am hoping I will wake up one day and just 'know' how to present all that I want to say. At this point I'm half tempted to write 'I really want to be a clinical psychologist because of reasons' in the box and hope for the best (got to be worth an interview for the sheer cheek of it right?) 8)

Good luck to all!
Life is far too important to be taken seriously

Wychelm

Post by Wychelm » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Might just see if putting a picture of a kitten in there will work instead

purpledot

Post by purpledot » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:09 pm

Wychelm wrote:Might just see if putting a picture of a kitten in there will work instead
Lol! If I was on the shortlisting panel, I would definitely appreciate that :)

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:01 pm

I'm having big issues getting an academic reference so goodness knows what I will end up doing for it! Kind of feels a tad pointless!

Glorianne

Post by Glorianne » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:25 am

@randomswirls. One of the university talks I had gone to (for a London uni) had said that if it's been a long time since you completed your degree and it's tough getting a meaningful reference from someone who knew you as a student, a CP or other professional who might have supervised audit or service evaluation work you have done in recent roles would also be appropriate and actually more meaningful as they can comment on your current work standards etc. Hope this helps!

Toria2013

Post by Toria2013 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:21 pm

Well, that's me emailing out my first draft application for feedback! I feel like i have gained so much experience in the last year but it really doesn't seem to be coming out in my personal statement because of the character limit. It's so hard to provide the info about each role so they know what you are talking about, but also reflect on it! If only the job description sections had a longer character limit! Any one else struggling?

Wychelm

Post by Wychelm » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:27 pm

Toria2013 wrote:Well, that's me emailing out my first draft application for feedback! I feel like i have gained so much experience in the last year but it really doesn't seem to be coming out in my personal statement because of the character limit. It's so hard to provide the info about each role so they know what you are talking about, but also reflect on it! If only the job description sections had a longer character limit! Any one else struggling?
massivley struggling with the word count. I cannot describe my current job in 200 characters D:

easdannsair

Post by easdannsair » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:02 pm

Submitted my application to stop me fiddling with it any more. I've been pretty much writing it for two months, so now I just have to sit here and worry until April... :D

I also really struggled to get my jobs into 200 characters, and resorted to lists of , and & symbols.

memifer

Post by memifer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:10 pm

Hmmm, this thread is making me realise I need to get a wriggle on and start my supporting statements. Time is ticked by too fast, does not feel like it has been a year already since the last application cycle!

Toria2013

Post by Toria2013 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:43 pm

easdannsair wrote:Submitted my application to stop me fiddling with it any more. I've been pretty much writing it for two months, so now I just have to sit here and worry until April... :D

I also really struggled to get my jobs into 200 characters, and resorted to lists of , and & symbols.

Wow. I have written my smaller questions but the first one is still going round and round my head haha. Trying to be more reflective. I'm lucky enough to have met quite a few clinical psychs over the years who are happy to give me feedback on my application so i've sent the first version out but now i think i might need to email them all with a totally different version! But i will wait and see what they say about the first draft. I feel like iv gained loads of experience this year but still no AP post yet so i guess we will see!

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:50 am

Think I'm going to be kickstarting mine tonight, going to think positive and assume that the previous failed applications were all due to a lack of experience (which has been remedied) and this one is clearly the winner.

Beggarsroost

Post by Beggarsroost » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:26 pm

Think I have finished my supporting statements, just need to send them off to get looked over. I put it off for AGES because I had no idea what to write but once I just started writing something, anything it came together. I can already see how rubbish last years application was compared to this one!

I'm still dithering about which courses to apply to. I have a couple of definite's but am unsure about the others. Its complicated by the fact that I cant relocate so realistically cant apply to some courses that look great but are just that little bit too far to commute for possible placements. I'm willing to travel pretty far but there has to be a cut off somewhere. I'm also not sure whether to apply for a London course as, whilst according to the clearing house I meet the minimum criteria I feel that London courses are so competitive and I don't have a first or a masters so worry I would be 'wasting' an application on course I don't have a real chance of getting into. Southampton changing their minimum criteria with regard to stats marks on transcripts put a spanner in the works too! :evil:

Any advice as to how others chose their courses would be greatly appreciated!
Life is far too important to be taken seriously

musicalhen

Post by musicalhen » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:19 pm

I went with what interested me and locality as I didn't want to move so on that basis courses in Devon gave me a choice of Plymouth and Exeter - both offer a systemic element which I love :)