The Great Big Progress Thread for 2015

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
bethpaterson

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2015

Post by bethpaterson »

5th year applying. 7th interview. 7th rejection. Don't know how many times I can keep trying...

Well done everyone who's got a place or a reserve spot. I wish I knew what your secret was.

:(
DrElizabeth

Post by DrElizabeth »

TheUndergraduate wrote:Hi guys, any ideas on how long the Salomons reserve list is? and anyone know how much it has moved in previous years?

I know that last year it moved at least 12 places. Does that help? x
bethpaterson

Post by bethpaterson »

Hi all,

Re: Salomons reserve list, I know someone who was number 18 on the list last year and ended up at number 6 if that helps.

Beth
GingerOwl

Post by GingerOwl »

UCL (didn't turn into interview)
Salomon's--> Salomon's
IoP
Royal Holloway

Gutted about Salomon's as I'm definitely too low down for a place and it was my preferred course, but I got good feedback so there's still hope for this year...!
~ * Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'! Audrey Hepburn * ~
TheUndergraduate

Post by TheUndergraduate »

Thanks guys it does help.
TheUndergraduate

Post by TheUndergraduate »

bethpaterson wrote:5th year applying. 7th interview. 7th rejection. Don't know how many times I can keep trying...

Well done everyone who's got a place or a reserve spot. I wish I knew what your secret was.

I feel your pain x
bethpaterson

Post by bethpaterson »

TheUndergraduate wrote:
bethpaterson wrote:5th year applying. 7th interview. 7th rejection. Don't know how many times I can keep trying...

I feel your pain x
Thank you. Very kind.

x
thespypsych

Post by thespypsych »

Hey!
Am new to posting here but am liking how much of a community this seems to be! I was wondering if anyone had heard from Herts? I'm on the reserve list and getting a little anxious about it... Was also wondering if people had any idea how much the reserve list moved for them last year? I'm really hoping it moves a bit this time round!
Thanks in advance! :)
chaz

Post by chaz »

Hi thespypsych I started no 8 last year and finished no1. The final week I was no 1 and I think there was still 5 people to confirm but didn't move any further. Good luck. x
Esk

Post by Esk »

Beth, I really feel for you. I am also in my 5th year of applying, 3 interviews so far- 2 rejections and still waiting on the outcome of one. I know how it feels to have tried for so long and get so close.

You must be doing something right to get so many interviews and I really hope they are giving you constructive feedback. I hope there is someone who can maybe help you with interview prep, I know how frustrating it is to be surrounded by people not going through this, treating it like its the same as any another job/course application.

If you know it's right for you then don't give up, if you're in a job you enjoy doing then just keep at it. I know this is easier said than done right now when the heartbreak of opening that rejection email is still fresh.

If you ever need someone to discuss interview stuff with, I'm here. Xx
thespypsych

Post by thespypsych »

chaz wrote:Hi thespypsych I started no 8 last year and finished no1. The final week I was no 1 and I think there was still 5 people to confirm but didn't move any further. Good luck. x

Thank you so much for this. It's made me feel a little better. I'm number 2 this year so am hoping there's some movement this year as well. Thanks again! X fingers crossed
zzz8

Post by zzz8 »

chaz wrote:Hi thespypsych I started no 8 last year and finished no1. The final week I was no 1 and I think there was still 5 people to confirm but didn't move any further. Good luck. x
Tough break! I think in that case I'd rather not know where I am on tmhe list :p
thespypsych

Post by thespypsych »

thespypsych wrote:

Thank you so much for this. It's made me feel a little better. I'm number 2 this year so am hoping there's some movement this year as well. Thanks again! X fingers crossed
Sorry about my rather thoughtless reply earlier! Was in a bit of a crazy rush and my brain has been all over the place recently. That must have been awfully difficult and frustrating for you, I hope it's going well this year! I've applied many times myself and this is the closest I've got and I don't know if I will be able to put myself through applying again next year if it doesn't work out this year but I really hope it does!
Thanks again for your reply and I too wish you luck with whatever you're doing now! x
bethpaterson

Post by bethpaterson »

Amy.Davies wrote:

Beth, I really feel for you. I am also in my 5th year of applying, 3 interviews so far- 2 rejections and still waiting on the outcome of one. I know how it feels to have tried for so long and get so close.

You must be doing something right to get so many interviews and I really hope they are giving you constructive feedback. I hope there is someone who can maybe help you with interview prep, I know how frustrating it is to be surrounded by people not going through this, treating it like its the same as any another job/course application.

If you know it's right for you then don't give up, if you're in a job you enjoy doing then just keep at it. I know this is easier said than done right now when the heartbreak of opening that rejection email is still fresh.

If you ever need someone to discuss interview stuff with, I'm here. Xx
Thank you so much Amy. You are so kind. I've sent you a PM.

Best wishes

Beth
bethpaterson

Post by bethpaterson »

Hi all,

Thought I might write a bit more about my interview experiences which did not lead to an offer, to put them in context and help anyone else who might be in a similar position (a multiple-timer!).

I'm in my 30s and a career-changer from a similar sector. I'm currently a full-time RA and I also care for a family member with MH problems. I've chosen not to name which courses I'm interviewed at, but they were all in or near London.

2010 - finished my conversion course (Merit). Did this part-time over 2 years whilst working f/t.

2010 - 1st application to course.

I was amazed to get 2 interviews with courses a and b. Interviews did not go well as I was very inexperienced and didn't know what to expect and this was reflected in my feedback.

2011 - 2nd application. Started both my part-time MSc in Clinical Applications of Psychology and my current f/t RA post.

Really pleased to get 2 interviews with same courses as last year: a and b. Interviews went a bit better than last year as I knew more what to expect. However, I was still very inexperienced and so I still found a lot of the q tricky which was again reflected in my feedback. I had about 6 month's experience in my RA role at this point and still found the research q tricky (this was a very research-focussed Uni).

2012 - 3rd application.

Really shocked to get an interview at course c. Unfortunately I seriously over-prepared, spending 6 weeks doing really intense prep, going through ALL the q on the "gigantic list of interview questions" and did about 4 practice interviews with careers advisor and colleagues. This meant that on the day I was concentrating so much on trying to remember everything I'd tried to cram into my head that I didn't really pay attention to the q and therefore fluffed these :( Lesson learnt...

2013 - 4th application. Started a very part-time AP post (1/2 day a week) as well as my full-time RA post.

Very chuffed to get another interview at course a. Having learnt my lesson from last year, I did a LOT less prep, looked at a few q from the giant list and concentrated on reflecting on experiences working with clients. Both academic and clinical interviews went great in my view (I even came out smiling!) but unfortunately I was not given a place and this place does not give feedback, so I have no idea why I didn't get on :cry:

2014 - 5th application (this year)

Very pleased to get an interview for course d after the first time applying here. My RA role really helped me with the entrance test which was all about research. For my interview prep, I concentrated on my experiences working with clients. Unfortunately I did not get a place again and was somewhat surprised by some of my feedback, but they are all things I can work on and at least now I have an idea of what this particular course is looking for.

So that's me. I'm not sure what my next steps might be. Unfortunately I am starting to run low on options :( Both Courses a and c have changed their entry criteria since I interviewed there and I am no longer eligible to apply. My family commitments mean I can't move from where I currently live in London and my academic record isn't good enough for the top London Unis. I did have extenuating circumstances which I put a sentence about on the form, but doubt it will make the cut from a pile of other applications with stellar academic records...

This is still what I really want to do though and I am shortly due to finish my MSc which will be a giant "tick" for next year's application. All my colleagues who have got on to courses previously had all finished their MSc courses. I'll have a giant think about whether to apply again or wait a year and try and get some more experience. In the last 2 years I've have 14 interviews for AP / Assistant Practitioner / STR worker roles and been 2nd choice a few times. So I'll keep looking...

Hope this might be useful to someone and good luck to all in your hunt for what you want.

Beth