Hall of Fame - "I'm going to be training at...." 2015

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
MarkM

Re: Hall of Fame - "I'm going to be training at...." 2015

Post by MarkM »

Congratulations everyone (:

Sooo I was procrastinating, as you do, and yeah... I thought it might be useful to have a list of all threads for 2015 cohorts. So if you want to introduce yourself and chat with peers from your course, find your course below. And if it's not there yet, create a new thread (and post it here)!

Bangor 2015
Coventry & Warwick 2015
Exeter 2015
IoPPN 2015
Lancaster 2014 (no 2015 thread has been created as of 27 May 2015)
Leeds 2015
Limerick 2015
Liverpool 2015
Manchester 2015
RHUL 2015
Salomons/CCCU 2015
Sheffield 2015
Southampton 2015
Staffs 2015
Teesside 2015
Trent 2015
UCL 2015
UEA 2015

Phew! I think those are all that have been posted so far. Pretty sure I saw a few people on here who got onto UEL, Surrey, and Bath (amongst others), so there are definitely some threads yet to be created! If I have missed a thread or someone posts a new one, please do add it to the list (:
:cat: I like cats! :cat:
CurlyHair
Team Member

Post by CurlyHair »

I'll be training at Edinburgh :D

Am utterly in shock, but totally over the moon!
smallandmighty

Post by smallandmighty »

"I'm going to be training at.." Southampton!! Yaaaayy! :D
Katy7

Post by Katy7 »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18662

I will be training at Birmingham and have added the Birmingham group :D I still don't quite believe it but 3 months! Congratulations everyone! !
rfdes

Post by rfdes »

I will also be training at Birmingham :)
Spatch

Post by Spatch »

Well done everyone. You're probably going to have a lot of advice thrown at you over the summer, but the one thing I would advocate is for trainees-to-be to take a break of some kind before training. I know not everyone has the resources and may have commitments, but the next three years are going to be intense, so it's probably the single most helpful thing I can think to do. Doesn't have to be a luxury holiday in the Bahamas, but just some time and space to get over the application cycle and to ground yourself before the next phase.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/
astra

Post by astra »

What Spatch said!
Unless your course has specifically told you otherwise, you need do nothing in preparation for training other than make sure you have clothes, stationery and somewhere to live. You will learn plenty on the course, any extra reading you do now will be so insignificant in the scheme of things that it really won't be worth it, and you are much better off trying to relax, get over the application process and have some time off if you can. For the next three years there will always be work to do and you are likely to feel guilty taking time off from it even when you tell yourself you are entitled to it, so make sure you take some guilt free time off now and really enjoy it.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam »

Thanks Spatch & Astra for this - I think I needed to hear it. I am looking to have a holiday, but it may be a last minute deal mid September. I've been thinking about books I may need to buy and things I may need to read.. I'm going to be mindful though and relax - no prepping will be done here :)
There may not always be a solution to the problem, but there is always another perspective...
enid

Post by enid »

Hmm, time off is a dream for me - frantically writing up mammoth PhD thesis while juggling full on clinical work schedule - I guess very much like how training will be. PhD hand-in + big house move just before I start training. I'm going to enjoy my six days off in July though, hoping it'll be a sunny week - a festival with lots of sauna, yoga, and meditation :) Other than that I won't get time off :|

(I'd probably be unhappy with it being any other way, however ;))
CurlyHair
Team Member

Post by CurlyHair »

Guilt free time :D Love the idea of that! Although it is a challenge not to get overexcited about the course starting and reading related things.
memifer

Post by memifer »

I've not even thought about doing any reading or anything yet! I'm mainly concentrating on brushing up my skills in my AP post, putting the final touches to my wedding plans (two and half weeks to go!!) and looking forward to my honeymoon which I'll be going on just before training starts, so plenty of other pleasant things to keep me occupied.
Lollixia

Post by Lollixia »

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice guys, it reminded me of when I finished my Masters, and for at least a couple of months after handing in my dissertation I would still have this feeling of guilt when I sat watching TV :lol:

Looking forward to a fresh start for me, last year was not so good - Edinburgh here I come :wink:

Loll x