Wearing bright colours to interviews

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Bubbly

Post by Bubbly » Tue May 12, 2015 9:09 am

Hi, in light of my upcoming course interview and the need for procrastination, I have been thinking about what to wear. I have seen a mix of clothing whilst attending previous course interviews, some women wear black or grey suits, some women wear pretty sort of casual dresses, and some women wear shirts and trousers/skirts. I know there is no right or wrong answer to this, but I was wondering what your thoughts are on wearing bright colours? I'm considering wearing a black suit skirt and a bright colour (my fav colour) blouse, but concerned that I might look overdone or too professional and corporate??

What do you think?

Cheers
Bubs x

ClaireEmma

Re: Wearing bright colours to interviews

Post by ClaireEmma » Tue May 12, 2015 9:13 am

I had 2 interviews this year, some people wore the standard black/white/grey, but I saw some people wearing patterns and pastel colours. I really don't think it matters either way, I'd try not to overthink it, if it feels comfortable and looks smart, it'll be fine. I wore a red dress to one of mine. Good luck!

butterfly123

Post by butterfly123 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:24 am

I agree, just wear whatever you feel comfortable in! It's already an anxiety provoking day, so you don't want to be worrying about what you are wearing. Last year I wore bright blue, and this year I went for a plain black smart dress. I generally feel more comfortable in black, but as we know everyone is different. So the advice I would give is wear whatever you can be yourself in, and if that's the bright blouse then definitely go for it!

Good luck

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Tue May 12, 2015 9:48 am

Agree with everything that's already been said. I doubt the interviewers will care what colour you're wearing so long as you look presentable!

midas

Post by midas » Tue May 12, 2015 10:04 am

There have definitely been threads about this before! I recall an AP interview where the CP used to sit on the panel for doctorate interviews, she suggested wearing something that stands out whether that be a bright dress, a bold scarf, an interesting brooch - just because of the number of people seen on the day it helps to have a reference (eg girl with the spotted scarf). I took this last year and wore a bright green dress but the shape didn't present me in the way I hoped! So this year I went more demure, trusty navy dress that's got me jobs in the past, and a delicate scarf over the top. This year was more successful. As long as you are comfortable and look professional I think you can't go far wrong.

Bubbly

Post by Bubbly » Tue May 12, 2015 10:05 am

I don't know, I feel what you wear is important, and could make even a slightly bit difference to being successful or not. What you wear influences how the panel (including service users) may perceive you to be like - warm, friendly, down to earth, fashionable etc..

mauser

Post by mauser » Tue May 12, 2015 10:18 am

I wore trainers to my interview (planned to change into shoes but was first on the interview list and got bustled straight into the room) and managed to get in so I can't imagine it matters too much what you wear.

egykata

Post by egykata » Tue May 12, 2015 10:18 am

I'm on my way to my interview and decided that life is too short for uncomfortable shoes ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enid

Post by enid » Tue May 12, 2015 12:35 pm

Bubbly wrote:I don't know, I feel what you wear is important, and could make even a slightly bit difference to being successful or not. What you wear influences how the panel (including service users) may perceive you to be like - warm, friendly, down to earth, fashionable etc..
I agree. Smart and comfortable.

ClaireEmma

Post by ClaireEmma » Tue May 12, 2015 12:54 pm

Bubbly wrote:I don't know, I feel what you wear is important, and could make even a slightly bit difference to being successful or not. What you wear influences how the panel (including service users) may perceive you to be like - warm, friendly, down to earth, fashionable etc..
I'd be really surprised if that were true, there's so many important qualities and competences to assess people on that I can't imagine your clothing really coming into it and the things you listed like being warm and down to earth are surely communicated in more overt ways than what you choose to wear? I personally don't even really notice what people wear, I'm not that into fashion or trends, I would probably only really notice if they were wearing something totally inappropriate. In my interviews I felt that they were listening really carefully to every word, they were writing loads of notes and often asking follow up questions so I felt the focus was really on my answers and how I put them across.

msrisotto

Post by msrisotto » Tue May 12, 2015 1:02 pm

I guess it can make a difference between success or failure if you feel really good and confident in your outfit because you're wearing your favourite top/colour/whatever, versus wearing something uncomfortable or that otherwise distracts you. I would say wear what you like best and feel best in.

amyaston88

Post by amyaston88 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:08 pm

i wore smart trousers and a blazer, but with a bright red blouse. i thought it might help me to be remembered if i had something bright on!

sparklepants

Post by sparklepants » Tue May 12, 2015 2:24 pm

I vote for colour and comfort. What I wear to interviews is basically an outfit on the smarter end of my work wardrobe. That way, I feel comfortable. I feel like an imposter if I wear a suit! :mrgreen:

happyfeet

Post by happyfeet » Tue May 12, 2015 2:33 pm

As others have said, I am sure the interviewers are not remotely interested in what you are wearing. Even if they remembered you as a result, I would be really worried if they made a decision based on that. For me it is just about feeling comfortable.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Tue May 12, 2015 2:46 pm

Interviewers will be interested in what you're wearing to the extent that they will expect you to look presentable. There is something to be said for demonstrating that you take the process seriously and look professional (we have to look professional for our clients, after all). But that doesn't mean we all have to wear suits/ties/couture!! It just means looking, I'm repeating myself here, presentable. The interviewers will also hope what you wear is appropriate - by that, I mean not wearing something that shows acres of bare flesh or is scruffy and dirty. Outside of that precisely what you are wearing or what colour it is is really not an issue. And if you want to look and come across as professional you have to feel comfortable, so I would second, third and fourth that point!! If you worry too much about the minutiae of what you're wearing you won't focus on the business at hand - the questions!!